New mule starting issue

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
nickd
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

New mule starting issue

Post by nickd » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:44 am

This winter my mule “rested” a lot longer between running. The lack of shows due to the pandemic did not help either. With spring approaching it’s time to regenerate interest in running the mule. It started right up! Ran it around a bit and put it back in the garage for warmer weather. The second start up did not go well. It just didn’t start. I pulled the spark plug wire, tested for spark. No spark. Decided to go one step further and pulled the plugs for inspection. Slightly fouled plugs got a cleaning and re gapped. Put everything back together. I didn’t really look forward to removing the magneto and all of the fun associated with that procedure. I checked for a bad hour meter or maybe the ignition switch was causing the magneto to be grounded. I Disconnected the grounding wire at the condenser from the magneto and the mule started. Touched the wire to the condenser and the engine started to sputter. I noticed there had been an accumulation of dirt and oil at the grounding wire connection on the magneto. Cleaned the connection touched the wire to the condenser and the mule continued to run. Re attached the wire with the screw and went for a ride.
1986 M998 & M1102 trailer
2 M275A5 1 with 4ws

1 M274 w/106 recoilless rifle and all accessories FOR SALE with spare rear transaxle and transmission

1 M274 W/TOW removed from the inventory
1 m274 w4ws
M102 105 mm Howitzer
75mm pack Howitzer
John Deere military gator
1986 Humvee with 6.5 non turbo slant back, armored turret and gunners shield

Return to “Mule M274”