My Mule Tools

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
My Mule Tools

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:02 am

PART ONE
I thought I'd start by telling a little about my background. I retired after 36 years with a Caterpillar dealer, working as a service technician, a service supervisor and finally as a service manager. I have a pretty good mechanical background.

I have the usual assortment of hand and power tools found in most home shops, but in these posts I am going to list some of the special tools that I use when working on the M273A2-A5 mules, I hope you find it useful.

The most valuable mule tool I have is a set of the TM's. These manuals have just about everything you would ever want to know about the mule. I don't think there is any way a person can successfully repair a mule without a set of these TM's. If you can't afford to buy the paper manuals, Mike White has them available for free at his web page. https://whiteworks.us/TheMule/

Probably the next most useful mule tool is my lift. I purchased it from Harbor Freight, and with the coupons and codes, I think it cost just under $800. I modified it by adding removable platforms that allow a mule to be driven onto the lift. I also have a 110 volt winch that attaches to the front of the lift so I can drag "dead" mules onto the lift. At 70, I appreciate the lift more than ever!

Tools that every mule owner should have include a spark plug socket. This is a special 7/8"deep-well socket, sometimes called an aircraft spark plug socket. They show up on e-bay from time to time. The other item in the photo is a homemade tool that allows you to hold the spark plug and keep it from turning while you remove the plug wire.

Regular items you will need for service are a set of square and hex plug tools. These are Caterpillar service tools that I have had for years, but you can buy similar tools online. Don't be tempted to use a 3/8" ratchet drive to remove the plugs, get the proper tool.

You might also want to try to find the wrench, socket, 5120-601-2224. This is an 1-1/2" deep well socket that fits, among other things, the wheel axle hub nuts and the transmission output shaft nut. The other 1-1/8" socket shown will be covered shortly.

I also find these long pin punches very helpful when removing the roll pins from the axles prior to removing the axle nuts. Another HF tool.

Next time, I will describe some to the more specialized tools for engine, transaxle and drop axle work.
Last edited by Chuck W. on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: My Mule Tools

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:39 am

PART TWO

If you are going to be doing wheel hub and drop axle work, here are a few tools you may want.

When I replace dust boots, I like to remove the knuckle housing completely so I can properly measure the king pin preload, and this attachment for my air hammer will remove the tie rod end from the knuckle housing in seconds with no damage to the end.
Speaking of king pin bearing preload measurement, you need a good spring scale.

If you get into the drop housings, you will need a blind hole puller. I used a modified pilot bearing puller from HF for years until I broke it. I bit the bullet and bought a good puller kit recently.
You'll also need some custom bearing and seal installers. I have a lathe, so I make them as I need them. The tool in the upper right is for the transaxle shift-shaft seals.
And you'll want a magnetic base dial indicator holder and a dial indicator with a 3" extension stem so you can set the correct clearance on the axle drive gear.

I have a parts cleaning vat, but I like the Sure Shot for washing pieces in place, like the drop axle housing. Just fill it with your favorite solvent, charge with air, and spray away! Much cheaper than those cans of brake cleaner!

I don't want to get into a transmission rebuild tutorial here, but shown are a few of the things I use. The two pullers are used to force the main and intermediate shafts out of the two bearings in the cover, and the modified cover allows me to measure and adjust the clearance in the synchronizer assembly. Long feeler gauges and a mirror are also needed!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:24 pm

PART THREE

Most of the rest will be just odds-and-ends. The tool above is what I use when the engine does not have a belt guard and no timing marks.

I find that it's easy to use my timing light to check that both plug wires are good and that the mag is firing strongly.

A digital thermometer and digital tachometer are useful when tuning an engine.

For you who have changed a fuel pump and/or carburetor, you'll know about these wrenches!

This little tool is a 3/8" drive phillips bitt that is great for deck bolts, fuel tank bolts, etc. I don't know where I got it, but it yet to fail me getting those stubborn bed bolts out. I use it with a 3/8 drive impact wrench.

This T-bar puller is used to pull the front yoke in order to change the lip seal behind the brake backing plate. The BFH is for general use.

The bolt that holds the flywheel to the crankshaft requires a 1-1/8" 6-point thin-wall socket. It's a very tight fit.

And this is just an assortment of items that I try to keep in one place. There are a lot of the odd flair and compression fittings for the fuel and vent lines, among other things.

I hope this has been helpful, if you have questions, please feel free to ask.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:46 pm

Thank you much Chuck for the info, this novice mule owner will find it very helpful
change user name to mark

ltsimp
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ltsimp » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:34 am

Chuck, I must say that is a very informative piece of work. Lots of ideas for everyday use there. Thank you for sharing!

Return to “Mule M274”