alternator question ..

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
tbied2
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

alternator question ..

Post by tbied2 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:02 pm

i put a single wire alternator on my mule in may. i ran a 10 awg wire from the alternator straight to the battery positive;; with a 30 amp fuse just before the battery. worked great,,.. however, now it has blown that fuse twice,,,?? right now, my battery reads exactly 12 volts when disconnected. i disconnect the wires & put my volt meter on the alternator pos & grd. at idle,it reads about 3 volts, but when i rev the engine ,,, it goes to 16 volts............. is that too much juice & does that blow the fuse,,,????? .................t

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: alternator question ..

Post by parker007 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:48 pm

remove fuze! do not run alternator if not connected to battery or regulator failure will occur. all tests should be done with alternator hooked to battery.

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:05 pm

Yes, it needs the internal resistance of the battery for the internal regulator to work correctly. Sounds like you have a bad Diode in the alternator. Take it to the auto parts store. They can usually spin it for you and see if it's working. Also, charge the battery and come back after a while and lay your hand on the alternator ( cold engine of course) and check for heat. If it's warm, the battery is feeding back into the alternator indicating a short in the regulator.
I have guns.
You don't want me to have guns.
I won't give you my guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:38 pm

You need a inline fuse bigger than 30 amp. You need something greater than the max output of the alternator.

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:25 pm

Good point. I missed the fuse size. Hemming motor news website says "The amp ratings as well as the Delco part number are stamped on the rear portion of the front case, usually just below the top mounting ear. Original Delco numbers will be 7-digits long with a two-digit amp rating after it." If the engine cranks for a bit before it starts, it may very well be putting out full amperage right after it starts and that would be enough to shoot the fuse. I think that's why they use fusible link wire instead of a fuse in automotive charging circuits.
I have guns.
You don't want me to have guns.
I won't give you my guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Return to “Mule M274”