Gear Oils

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Gear Oils

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:31 am

I have been looking into gear oil specs and recommendations, specifically for the mule transaxle and drop housings after my friend's recent bearing failure. Here's what I have decided; GL-1 90 wt. in the transmission and GL-5 90 wt. in the drop axle housings. Debating if I should go with a synthetic oil. My friend uses his mule almost daily on his farm and keeps it serviced. Thoughts and opinions welcomed

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Gear Oils

Post by Grummanflyer » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:15 pm

Are you planning on using GL1 because of the concern over yellow metal damage in the transmission? I have always used Amsoil pure synthetic all over in my mule and have no trouble at all as long as you have good seals. The 80-90 I use is Amsoil Severe Gear and is GL5 rated. There was a heck of an argument over on Steel Soldiers once over using gear oil with sulphur , which was the high pressure additive but I don't know if that argument will pass the sniff test today or not. It comes pretty highly recommended for manual transmissions and differentials and I doubt they would do that if their additive was detrimental to the yellow parts of the gearbox.
I have guns.
You don't want me to have guns.
I won't give you my guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:45 pm

Yes, the yellow metal issue was the reason for considering the GL1. It would be much easier to run GL5 in everything. I think in a mule, the main concern is the need for a good EP additive, rather than the concern for yellow metal corrosion. Thanks, I will be looking at the Amsoil 80w90.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:20 am

After thinking about this, expensive synthetic oil may be overkill, as I like to drain all the drop housings at least once a year and look for metal. Maybe just use a quality GL5 oil.

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:09 am

Yes, they are very proud of the stuff. I service my deuce and a half with it also and it costs a fortune to even change the oil in the thing since it takes 6 gallons in just the crankcase. Dropping the oil and checking for metal once a year is probably a good idea. I turned a recess in my deuce transmission plugs and cemented a rare earth magnet into it. Splash oil tells me if it's making metal without having to drain it. No reason why you couldn't do that on a mule too. KJ Magnetics has every size and shape magnet a person could ever need. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

John
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:40 pm

I think I may try your idea to install magnets into the drain and fill plugs on the mule. Looking at milling a flat bottom hole in the top of each plug, 3/8" in diameter and 1/8" deep for the magnet to sit into. What did you use to secure the magnets into your plugs? I'm thinking JB weld, maybe?

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:57 pm

I used some stuff called Belzona. Its an industrial two part epoxy/metal compound that is really good but dang it is expensive. I'm sure JB weld would be just as good. When JB Weld first came out, I was in an Auto parts store where they had two engine valves stuck together with that stuff. I put it on the floor and stood on the valve stem and actually broke the stem off one of the valves but the joint did not separate.
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:35 pm

We used Belzona where I worked, but I've been retired 15 years now and have lost all my old contacts, I have to go buy all my supplies now!!

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:08 pm

Yup me too. That's the problem retiring from the maintenance business. Now I don't get to test out all those "SAMPLES" anymore. I just looked on ebay and a case of Belzona was $999.00 for 30 packages of 1221 which was what we used.
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:05 pm

Well, I got on our favorite auction site and found a bag of ten 1/2"-14 NPT magnetic drain plugs for $18.00. These are 3/8" hex drive. I ordered a couple of bags, will see how they work in my mule. Apparently, these are used somewhere in a Hummer??

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:46 pm

Magnetic plugs just arrived and they are going to work perfectly in the mule.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184563319455

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:40 pm

I hope you never find anything on a single one and I bet you do too!!! Glad you posted the link. I'm gonna order a set for myself because it's easier than making the dang things.

John
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:49 am

If I am not mistaken, this is the same thread size as the transmission, transfer case and differential plugs on my M38 and CJ3B, so I think I will put magnetic plugs there, too.

Speedracer
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Speedracer » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:19 am

Grummanflyer, what engine oil do you use in your Mule? I'm a believer in Amsoil products, having seen the results in my street cars and race car. I'm at the point of replacing seals in my drop axle housings so I appreciate your post of what you've been using in your trans and drop axle housings.

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:22 pm

I used Amsoil 10W30 until recently. My mule engine has been a little noisy since I bought it compared to some of the others at the Knob Creek Shoot and I knew it was only a matter of time until it went South so I installed a new "in the crate" generator engine I bought from Gunslinger a while back. Right now it's got generic 30 weight non detergent in the crankcase until the rings seat. Then I'll change back to the Amsoil. We always use mineral oil in new airplane engines until oil consumption stabilizes so IMO the same applies here. I believe they recommend not using their motor oil for break in purposes.
I have guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Return to “Mule M274”