Rat Bastards

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Rat Bastards

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:03 pm

Well, they have been at it again! This is why I check under the engine shrouds at least once a year!
Now I am going to have to get the seats rebuilt on the CJ3B!

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Rat Bastards

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:29 am

Chuck,
I usually add a profane expletive before Rat Bastards.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by DDTrustee » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:12 am

MmmmmmmmM! Yuuuummmm! Cotton wadding!

FRBs! ~ how about a few packs of Decon on the floor - that way when you smell something in the garage you can start looking under the covers sooner. 50:50 chance they'll die before they set up housekeeping in your MVs. :mrgreen:
reenacting and WWII history

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:29 am

Them rats are annoying pests indeed. If you like cats, may I suggest acquiring two full time outdoor cats. Feed them infrequently and never at the same time of the day and not every day. They will stick around and keep the rodents out of your seats, engines and wiring. :)
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

Dave M38A1
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Dave M38A1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:51 am

The old Rats love them some Mules.

Some mice wandered in my garage, let the cats get in .... mouse problem gone.

Dave
Dave M38A1
1953 M38A1
1964 USMC M38A1
M274 A5 Mule (Pepe')
64 CJ5
97 TJ Wrangler (Son's Ride)

Jeeps4Brains
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Jeeps4Brains » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:54 am

Out in the country we have 3 full time outdoor cats and 2 part time outdoor ones. I am always finding, mice, moles and squirrel parts around the yard.

Now if they would only go after the groundhogs. That's what cross hairs are for. :wink:
45' MB, ??' MBT, 47' CJ2A, 48' CJ2A,
51' M38 #1, 51' M38 #2, 51' M100,
52' M37, ??' M101A1 (1st Gulf War Vet),
53' M38A1, 53' M211, 65' M151A1, 67' M416,
MVPA #31724

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:44 pm

50:50 chance they'll die before they set up housekeeping in your MVs
I doubt it, the little turds can build a nest almost overnight. The Decon they sell now is so weak, the rats eat it like snacks!
Some mice wandered in my garage, let the cats get in .... mouse problem gone.
We have some neighborhood cats who wander around the property. I thought it was great until I caught them pissing on the canvas seats! Everything is now inside a building, but apparently the rats can still get in.

Standard mouse traps baited with peanut butter didn't work, rats avoided them. Going to put out some sticky traps next!

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by DDTrustee » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:02 pm

we bait the mouse traps with sunflower seeds - works great!!!!! a little salt water under the seed - dries and sticks seed to the metal clip....
reenacting and WWII history

Hanselandgretel

Post by Hanselandgretel » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:41 pm

Add some moth balls nearby to give another level of protection, or "mints" from a urinal. Mice do not like the smell (of the balls or the urine).

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:49 am

Chuck, forget about Decon. You are correct, it doesn't work. Get you some bait blocks at the farm store. I use these in my shop at home and in my airplane hangar. They love the stuff. They eat it and then go looking for water. As soon as they drink, they die. I have 34 confirmed kills at my hangar in the last few years. We keep a running tally on the wall. A few years back I kept finding dead mice all over my shop at home and found that I had left the top off the bucket the stuff comes in. The mice had got in the bucket and ate every block of it. Must have killed every mouse in the county. There used to be two types. Single and double acting. The single acting would kill the mouse but not kill anything that eats the mouse. The double would kill the mouse and kill a hawk if it found the mouse. They may not be available anymore. You want something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Bait-Chun ... 564&sr=8-1

Edit: You might also go to youtube and look at the mousetraps like this one. My friend built one for his tractor shed and says it works great. There are lots of designs that work great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYCqWSz6lNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SIlYiiCGLI
I have guns.
You don't want me to have guns.
I won't give you my guns.
YOUR MOVE!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:43 am

I got some of those Tomcat bait blocks at Tractor Supply, put it around the inside walls of the shop, but nothing has touched it. Next I tried a 5 gallon pail half full of water with sunflower seeds floating on top and a ramp up to the bucket. I got excited when I watched a mouse run up the ramp and look into the bucket, but then he flipped me a bird and ran away. I may have to try the roller idea.
In the past two years, I have shot almost 90 chipmunks off the wall that runs across the back yard. They never got into the shop, but were digging holes all around the house. Got a pellet gun with a good scope. Looks like now there is a family of hawks who have moved into the pine thicket next door and they are taking care of the rodents!
BTW - I did have to get the CJ3B seats rebuilt, the mice pulled over half the stuffing out of the driver's seat.

Return to “Mule M274”