M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Lance-W
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: New member, new to me Mule

Post by Lance-W » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:54 am

Auto Shop teacher wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:24 am
One suggestion is that unless you have the wide rims with the tractor groove tires somewhere you might remove and either save or sell, (please don't throw away) those wide fenders because I think you will find they get in the way and get bent up without the wide wheels. I personally like the standard rims like you have because the wide tires and rims about doubles the distance it takes to turn around. Not to mention it is harder to steer and wears out tie rod ends faster.
If you do decide to sell the fenders I'd be interested. Lake Isabella isn't that far away :) At some point I'd like to put the wide tires and fenders on mine.

Lance

Gmaki
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Gmaki » Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 pm

Well I finally had some time and a new starter so I could work on the Mule. I installed the starter and did some clean up of some wiring. She runs and drives! Once I had it running I had a few issues to fix. 1st the pin for one of the shift rods came loose from the shift plate so I welded that back together. Also the shifter had been installed backwards. 2nd the drag link was bent almost in too a U shape, pulled it and straightened it on the press. After that I had to adjust it shorter so I could turn both directions evenly. 3rd the transfer case shift rod was all bent up and the middle hanger was not there and the PO bolted it with a solid bracket. I straightened the rod and built a temporary swinging bracket. 4th it had a broken ebrake cable but thanks to a trade with John Cole I had a cable so that is installed. John I am sending the starter tomorrow. :D
I have a few minor leaks and some other things to tweak later. I need a new throttle cable and return spring, it is rigged for now to work. Been driving it around the yard and it is running better all the time, it starts right away which makes me happy.

Austringer
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Austringer » Fri May 17, 2019 6:18 pm

kewl
Jason Green
Atlanta, Ga

1958 M56 Scorpion
1964 M114A1E1
1968 M274A5
1969 M706