Problem with blower fan

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Problem with blower fan

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:07 pm

My blower made so much noise you would swear that I had gravel instead of ball bearings. It got so bad that it even snapped the fan belt. (Boy are mules quiet without that fan turning). I changed the blower with one I had already replaced the bearing on and yet it still is somewhat noisy. Is there anything in the belt tensioning pulley that can make noise?

When I spun the fan on the old blower it spins as smooth as silk with no noise, any ideas on what to look for?

Lance-W
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Problem with blower fan

Post by Lance-W » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:26 am

When I got into my blower fan and the self-adjusting sheave it was all worn out. There's a bunch of bushings and stuff in there that lets it change diameters (which you really don't need if you're running an alternator off that belt). I have some pictures on my build thread of how mine was bubba'd. I'd look at the pulley real hard first.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:01 am

As Lance says, 9 times out of 10 the bearings are fine, it's the automatic belt tightener that is worn out. There was a pretty good article on rebuilding it, but the thread seems to have vanished.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Chuck I took the pulley apart and you and Lance were right, the pins are badly worn and the outer pulley pin holes are about 50% larger than new. I found another blower fan with an almost new pulley with the nylon bushings in great shape. I guess I will save this one for when I hang an alternator on my engine.

Where do you weld the two parts together at?

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:56 am

Shim the 2 pulleys with washers so 95 percent of the belt is seated and tack weld the blower shaft to the top pulley sleeve. Remove the shim washers and bolt the cover on then it will look original. Adjust the belt tension with the alternator.

You could run a welded blower without an alternator if the 95 percent of the belt is seated in the pulley. The spring loaded adjustable pulley is meant to take up belt slack. With the pulley welded and 95 percent of the belt seated it will be harder to install the belt. Place the belt on the blower and wrap it around the engine pulley and turn it CCW to seat, the engine could accidentally start while turning the engine pulley CW.

You could modify a large washer that will fit the shaft so it fits around the pins.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Return to “Mule M274”