M274A5 with 106 mm recoilless rifle
M274
LOOKING FOR 4 CYLINDER MULES AND PARTS

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Have mules fallen out of favor?

Post by mdainsd » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:54 pm

Never posted here in the Mule farm as I haven't had one in years. But...I had several back when starting in 1972. I always had a soft spot for them, but parts including tires were plentiful and reasonably affordable. We would take them everywhere, the desert being my favorite place to go on LONG cross country excursions.

Times changed and my interests changed in MVs, moving to larger vehicles. I used to use one around the property but it was somewhat limited in what it could do for me.

"Have Mules fallen out of favor?" for me the answer is yes.

A couple of years ago i stumbled across some John Deere M-gators and picked them up. I fixed a couple and moved them to new homes. That got me my money back and a lot more, I was surprised. I kept one and did all the stuff to make it real fresh. It serves me well on the property. As I get older I enjoy more comfortable seating position, a true place for a passenger, power dump drop-side bed and of course diesel power.

I took it to a few MV gatherings and it was a hit, again surprising me.

However, I don't think thats where the Mule lovers have gone. The comments about the influence of the web seem pretty spot on. I have a Scout Car, not much action here on finding parts or tech, but the FB group is vibrant.
Attachments
m-gator.jpg
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

tbied2
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Have mules fallen out of favor?

Post by tbied2 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:11 pm

.. since all this Kung fu flu started, I have been cutting a bunch of firewood. I use that mule, or even both mules almost everyday,...... keeps me busy and not sitting on the couch watching the crappy news,.....

Return to “Mule M274”