Have mules fallen out of favor?

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Mike_W
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Have mules fallen out of favor?

Post by Mike_W » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:22 pm

One thing I have noticed is that visitors to whiteworks.us/TheMule was at an all time high in December and January. Most of the traffic was getting manuals. Maybe everyone is working on their mules and not a lot going on otherwise. That would also explain why John is selling a lot of parts. It has rained a lot over the past year and I know I haven't used my mule as much as I usually do.

Charles I need to come by and see you sometime. I have all your goodies with me and need to return them. I'm not that far away now that I have moved to western NC. Just waiting for some decent weather....
Mike White
Hayesville, NC

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Most of the traffic was getting manuals.
It may also be that folks are finally getting and reading the manuals to learn how to do a task, instead of just asking on the forum!
Not that I mind helping people, but it's so much better and easier to understand when you read it yourself and view the illustrations.
North Alabama

murano3
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by murano3 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:17 am

As a user of both this forum and Facebook, it is facebook that is taking the traffic for definite. I say this as a number of years ago I ran a very busy forum called www.bigpower.co.uk - we did lots of trackdays etc, then facebook came along and slowly but surely posts stopped - we moved the forum to fb but again it died - ultimately there were too many sites to compete with for membership but also users could simply share their car experiences quickly as part of their own status, they didn't need to login to a forum to past about what they did with their car today.

Another key win for FB groups is how quickly you can add images and sad to say garner likes, everyone likes it when someone 'likes' their stuff.

Up until I sold my Mule I was regulary ordering parts from John - and doing the work myself. Oddly I actually relied on You tube videos to understand what steps to take. Now I have an M37 and I am regulary buying parts from Vintagepowerwagons ... the M37 FB page is definitely where all the traffic is.

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:17 am

Chuck W. wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:05 pm
It may also be that folks are finally getting and reading the manuals to learn how to do a task, instead of just asking on the forum!
Not that I mind helping people, but it's so much better and easier to understand when you read it yourself and view the illustrations.
While military manuals are some of the best in the bunch, there is much to be said for "a picture is worth a thousand words", photos and their accompanying text many times can show details that the manuals sometimes miss or show from a different angle than what you are seeing. That and gems like making shifter detent 'long balls' to deal with a half century of wear and tear are worth gold when you have a similar problem. Alternators, electric start, where to mount a battery, how to convert an A5 to 4 wheel steer are not covered in any manual either.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:32 am

As a user of both this forum and Facebook, it is facebook that is taking the traffic for definite.
You are probably right. I have a Facebook account, but rarely use it. I think I have 6 friends, my kids! Our club has a group and I go there to get event dates, etc, but rarely post. I just don't trust Facebook, they keep saying our personal information is secure!

I guess mules are alive and well. I was just thinking that slow traffic on this forum might indicate they had fallen out of favor with collectors. Thanks all!
North Alabama

progun3400
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by progun3400 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:06 am

Auto Shop teacher wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:17 am
Chuck W. wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:05 pm
While military manuals are some of the best in the bunch, there is much to be said for "a picture is worth a thousand words", photos and their accompanying text many times can show details that the manuals sometimes miss or show from a different angle than what you are seeing. That and gems like making shifter detent 'long balls' to deal with a half century of wear and tear are worth gold when you have a similar problem. Alternators, electric start, where to mount a battery, how to convert an A5 to 4 wheel steer are not covered in any manual either.
I agree that that if a fellow is going to attempt his own repairs, he should at least have on hand as many technical/repair/maintenance manuals he can get hands on. Familiarizing oneself with any available technical/repair manuals will help in gaining knowledge/confidence. I do agree that sometimes the manuals can be a bit lacking. It could be that-for many, it might be new territory that they’re not confident enough to dive into it without reassurance from the sages. 8)
For me, it’s difficult to visualize just by reading text without seeing illustrations/pictures.
I can recall plenty of DIY guys bringing a transmission into my dad’s shop in different stages of assembly/disassembly. The manuals are probably easier to grasp for the mechanically inclined folks, but some of us aren’t mechanically inclined.
Heck, I’ve been reading technical/maintenance/repair/troubleshooting manuals for decades & still have to read again/review/refresh...
I recently followed Kurt Lesser’s excellent instructions on upgrading/adding park to the early three speed (TH400/3L80) equipped M998’s for a trans upgrade on an M998 two door. I’m very familiar with the inner workings of the TH400 transmission so it made it a breeze. Unless you’re familiar with or have done some repairs to familiarize yourself with each component, a manual and/or text can leave some scratching their heads. Detailed pictures and/or video showing the steps can be worth volumes.

progun3400
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by progun3400 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:13 am

Chuck W. wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:32 am
As a user of both this forum and Facebook, it is facebook that is taking the traffic for definite.
You are probably right. I have a Facebook account, but rarely use it. I think I have 6 friends, my kids! Our club has a group and I go there to get event dates, etc, but rarely post. I just don't trust Facebook, they keep saying our personal information is secure! I guess mules are alive and well. I was just thinking that slow traffic on this forum might indicate they had fallen out of favor with collectors. Thanks all!
Ha, I’m with you on that. I don’t trust any of them, nor do I partipate in any social media....

h8pvmnt
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by h8pvmnt » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:09 am

I want one, just have not taken the time to research them and look for a nice one.
Mike W.
1950 CJV35/U 10492
1950 CJV35/U 10824 (Sold)
1950 CJV35/U 10609

Return to “Mule M274”