New (to me) M274A5 Mule

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Speedracer
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

New (to me) M274A5 Mule

Post by Speedracer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:30 am

Just bought a M274A5 Mule in NC near me, mfrs S/N 768, the other S/N 370259, delivered 3/70.
Someone had previously almost obliterated the dataplate but I can make out 'Brunswick' on it.

Last edited by Speedracer on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ccandgc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: New (to me) M274A5 Mule

Post by ccandgc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:33 am

Nice!
-Chad

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:20 pm

the photo is maybe .5 "square
change user name to mark

ccandgc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by ccandgc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Pic is tiny, although it flashed big for a second.on my phone.
-Chad

Speedracer
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Speedracer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 pm

Not sure what's going on with the pic size. Will re-take pics and re-post in the near future.

Speedracer
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Speedracer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Apparently my pic files are too large to upload? Anyone know what the max size file is? Not sure how to 'de-rez' a pic to make the photo size smaller.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:14 pm

Went to my Photo Album on G503 and opened Upload Photos and this is the limits for files: If you have an Album then you can upload any of the following then copy the image/file link and insert it into your Post.

Here is the link on how to post pics on G503

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=16916

Allowable Image Types:
jpg,jpeg,png,gif,bmp
mpeg,mpg,avi,asf,wmv,mov,swf,mp3

Maximum File Size:
No file size limit.
ZIP file uploads allowed (10.00mb limit).
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Speedracer
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Speedracer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks, muleman! I will look into this.

crankshaft45
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by crankshaft45 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:24 am

Welcome to the world of mules, they are a blast and a real attention getter.
82nd Airborne 1960-63

Speedracer
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Speedracer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:27 am

Speedracer wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:30 am
Just bought a M274A5 Mule in NC near me, mfrs S/N 768, the other S/N 370259, delivered 3/70.
Someone had previously almost obliterated the dataplate but I can make out 'Brunswick' on it.

Updated the pix:

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/50 ... Mule_9.jpg

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/50 ... ule_81.jpg

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/50 ... Mule_7.jpg

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/50 ... ule_61.jpg

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:36 am

Speedracer

I was a High School Instructor and taught Computer Repair, Networking, Web Page Design and then concentrated on Broadcast and Video Production, the fun courses.

I like to help where I can.

You inserted the Direct link: code and the viewer has to click on the link to view your pics.

Another way is to insert the Medium Image: code then the pic will display in your post see pic below with red arrow.

Example:

The Direct link: code inserted into your post requires the viewer to click on the link to view the image.

If you were to write the HTML code the only difference between the 2 links is the opening tag at the front img and the closing tag at the end /img

When you edit your post put the open image tag img in front of the http:// and put the close image tag /img at the end of the link then the image will appear.

When inserting the image tag be sure to put the Left Square bracket [ in front of img and /img then the Right Square Bracket ] behind img and /img. I am unable to type the open and close img in this post since the browsers are looking for the image and it will not display correctly.

Contact me if you need help vie e-mail chaswitt@hotmail.com

Direct link: code
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/50 ... Inst-M.jpg

Medium Image: code
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Speedracer
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Speedracer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:22 pm

Muleman:

Thank you for showing me the error of my ways! I finally got it right!

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:19 pm

Great job posting the pics.

Your mule looks good and complete enough for restoration. Would like to see pics of the top of the engine.

I can supply used sections of the side rails you are missing to complete them, welding required. Plus I have the front section rail and the cargo bar.

From what I see, you are missing the Gun Door Cover and Top Clamp for your foot basket. The back Engine Guard can be restored by removing the plates and welding round stock as original.

When checking Hub Bearings I raise the tires off the ground and hold the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock then rock the tire in and out. if no movement then the bearing is good. Very slight movement and the hub seal not leaking then is is starting to wear. Lots of movement and the hub seal is leaking the bearing and seal should be replaced. For the front tires since they steer do not hold at 9 and 3 o'clock as this will give a false reading due to steering slop [tie rod ends and clevis pins]. There is a very slight chance that movement could be from loose or worn steering knuckle bearings and if that is the case then the tire could move up and down in the 12 and 6 o'clock position.

The back tires on a 2WS A5 can be held in any position.

Your side data plate could be replaced with the correct repo and using metal stamps transfer the reg #, Ser # and date of del. Do not know of anyone that has the inspected stamp. If you replace the plate keep the original for documentation. Yours looks like it was remounted using pop rivets instead of the original rivets. The original rivets are available.

Your alternator mounted to the bed and driven from the blower is unusual. Most are mounted to the engine below the blower and a longer belt drives both blower and alternator. Yours will keep the alternator out of shallow water.

Contact me via e-mail, check my Contact: for the address
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Speedracer
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Speedracer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:45 am

Muleman:

Thank you for the info, it is greatly appreciated. When the weather warms up I will be checking the hub bearings in my Mule.

I posted pix of the engine as well as starter, alternator and magneto.

Regarding the last 2 pix: the pipe-nipple looking thing, is that a vent? If so, it appears plugged by mud, probably by mud daubers. Looks like someone took vice grips or a pipe wrench to it.

Any idea what the device is that looks line a propeller attached to the engine guard?

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:03 pm

The pipe that is plugged by a mud-dauber is the manual pull start turn style for the cable directed to the front of the machine. Not needed since you have electric start.

The propeller look-alike is just a handle attached to a nut for easy hand install and removal for what ever application. Not a mule original equipment.

The date plate on the top engine shroud stated engine serial # is KM-000721. That is a very early 2 cyl engine ser#. That engine should have a mechanical hour meter and fuel pump primer. I am guessing that it is not the correct data plate for your engine. Yours should start with V.

Your rubber tube from the air cleaner to the carb is not original as this was an aluminum pipe.

Your throttle cable should cross over the engine top shroud go through the hole in the timing gear cover and a spring should be present between the cover and throttle arm on the governor.

You are missing the 1/8" vent line from the magneto to the top of the air cleaner. This can be fashioned from 1/8" copper tubing using compression fittings.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Return to “Mule M274”