RIP Charles Witt

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
RIP Charles Witt

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:10 am

RIP Charles Witt. The mule community has lost another great contributor and friend.
https://www.whitlockmortuary.net/obituary/charles-witt
North Alabama
Dixie Division Military Vehicles Club
former MVPA member

drsuggs
G-Private
G-Private

Re: RIP Charles Witt

Post by drsuggs » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:27 am

Very sorry to hear of His passing. Learn a lot reading His posts.
Prayers for His Family.
Danny

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 am

I am too, very sorry to learn of Charles Witt death, thank you Chuck for posting this.I learned a lot from his posts/talking to him.I was planning to pay him a visit sometime in the future too.RIP Charles.
mark
change user name to mark

Guest 1
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Guest 1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:58 pm

Very sad to hear of the passing of Charles Witt. I dealt with Charles since the late 70's. You never know how missed someone is, until they are gone and you realize how much knowledge they have taken with them. He never steered me wrong and was a fair man to do business with! Rest in Peace Charles!!
W. Roberts
MVPA 1401

ltsimp
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by ltsimp » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:04 am

So sorry to hear this. He will be missed.

rgmutchler
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by rgmutchler » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:09 am

I dealt with and met Charles. He was a nice guy with a lot of knowledge he was willing to share. RIP
RGMutchler
M274A5
M38

Mike_W
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Mike_W » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:52 am

We will all miss Charles, his knowledge, willingness to share his knowledge with everyone, help us with problem solving and just being a member of this great group. I know he willingly contributed to the WhiteWorks web site to make sure the mule community had access to as many publications as possible. One conversation I remember we had was about horsepower rating between the Mule and GenSet engines. The one great point he made was that the compression ratio is higher in the genset motor so it actually made more power than the mule engine just at higher RPM. As a past engine builder it made sense to me.... Think about it.

I will miss having conversations with Charles....
Mike White
Hayesville, NC

B8B
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by B8B » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:03 pm

I'll miss Charles as well. I was lucky to live less than a hour and a half from him, but whether it was a visit or a call, he was always willing to talk about Mules!

I found out about Charles around 2015 as I was preparing to rescue my 'FrankenMule' from a back yard in western North Carolina. When I towed it home that summer, I dropped by Charles' shop and he was happy to give it a thorough going-over. He recognized some of the parts and modifications as his previous handiwork, but what amazed me was his encyclopedic knowledge of just about every technical aspect of all the Mule models.

Charles Witt Lifting a Mule 10 AUG 15.jpg
Charles Witt Inspects the Frankenmule - August 2015
Over the next 5 years, I often called and exchanged emails with Charles, and he helped talk me through getting it running and returning it to near-military issue shape. I even brought the Frankenmule back to him in 2019 as I was preparing to prep, prime, and paint it. He gave additional advice and suggested maintenance I needed to perform to keep it running.

Charles Witt Checking Toe-In - 16 AUG 19 cr.jpg
Charles Witt Checking Wheel Alignment - August 2019

Now, sadly, I won't be able to use his services, get his valuable tips, or hear his friendly voice. Everyone I've met in this hobby has been great, but Charles was truly special.
'62 M422A1, SN 3741
'65 M416-B1, SN 11
'52 M100, SN 3530
'58 M274A3, SN 10965

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:13 pm

I am very sad to hear this news of his passing. The MULE world is not the same with out Charles. His wealth of technical knowledge was helpful in my projects. He was always willing to help me. He will be missed. RIP MR Charles Witt.

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:19 am

This man was a great mule mechanic and very helpful with advice. RIP .

abbylind
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by abbylind » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:48 am

He was a friend and advisor. I visited with him on our vacation to NC TN and GA. He let me drive the first mule I had ever seen in person! I remember the story he told me about using his mules to carry away the victims to the Tocca falls flood in the 1970s. Charles actually talked me through the rebuild of my mule transmission. I will miss his sage advise and humor
Rest in peace my friend....
Remember the word "expert".....An "EX" is a has been.... and a "SPERT" is a little drip...

Return to “Mule M274”