Before I take my plasma cutter to it

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Mike_W
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Before I take my plasma cutter to it

Post by Mike_W » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:27 pm

Here it is. Left rear drop axle from an A5. As you can see there is no seal left and that is what started this whole adventure. The spring pin would not drive out. Still won't. Before you ask, the nut and threads are all still good so no damage there. I have heated and reheated, used Krols oil, broke one punch, got a bigger hammer, tried to drill it ( should have known better ), etc. I am ready to take my plasma cutter to the spring pin in the center and see if I can start working it loose. BUT, before I do that, I want to ask everyone if they have a better idea... Open to all ideas at this point...
stuckspringpin.jpg
Mike White
Hayesville, NC

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Re: Before I take my plasma cutter to it

Post by markrdje » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:46 pm

How about drilling it out?
change user name to mark

Mike_W
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Mike_W » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:00 pm

That was one of the things I said I tried in the original post --- "tried to drill it ( should have known better )" Can't drill spring steel with a regular drill bit, need a cobalt bit.
Mike White
Hayesville, NC

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:04 pm

My mistake, when I read I skip words
change user name to mark

Mike_W
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Mike_W » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:28 am

The pin is out and the axle survived.... So here are the steps I used...

The Plasma cutter I used.
tool.JPG
Plasma cutter
After the pin is burned in half it creates a gap to be able to drive the pin halves.
firstcut.JPG
burned
Drove the top part down until it touched the bottom piece and burned it again. Repeated the process to get the top pin out then rotated the shaft 180 degrees and repeated the process to get the other half out.
drivingpin.JPG
driving pin
Inspection of the axle shows heat spatter from burning the pin inside the axle but there is no damage
pinout.JPG
pin is out
Here is the proof and now ready to change the seal and get this wheel back together
proof.JPG
punch goes through
Hope this helps someone in the future....
Mike White
Hayesville, NC

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:36 am

Finally recently picked up a Plasma cutter (Chinese Cut-60 for about $275)
Just starting to get used to it's cuts, I knew about them for years, but it's like i do not know how I have lived without this for so long...
My Oxy/ Act set was stolen, I replaced it with a Oxy/ Propane (much cheaper fuel) which seems to cut quicker, but then I bought the Plasma....Woo Hoo :!: ..

Your skills to just pop the pin with it are impressive.
It is an amazing tool to add to any shop, even if it's made in a less than friendly place...
Great Job!
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

bharr
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by bharr » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:15 am

So....., how much is a plasma cutter, chinese or american??
Stupid is free so it's everywhere !!

bharr
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by bharr » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:16 am

Nevermind, reread post after I posted, dang Mondays........
Stupid is free so it's everywhere !!

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:25 pm

I don't use mine as much as I thought I would, but it's been handy. If you buy one, spend the extra money for one with pilot arc.
North Alabama
Dixie Division Military Vehicles Club
former MVPA member

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:52 am

What amperage/size plasma cutter is needed to cut 3/8" max steel? Is there any brands that give you the most bang for your bucks?

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:36 am

Way off topic, sorry to OP:
I'm no sales rep for anyone, and would highly recommend watching some YouTube reviews on sorted products that are out there.
My Cut 60 "May" cut 3/8", but it may be rippled along the edge. I frankly have not tried it yet except the frame of an old Bronco II I needed springs from, made real easy work VS a torch. One video I recall seeing showed the difference between 110V and 220V (same machine does both, and most do, but you need the adapter cable, I made mine)
Bottom line on 220V it sliced about twice the thickness of steel (up to 1") using 1/8" plates he demonstrated cutting through adding another plate to the stack until it failed to cut through.
A lot has to do with amperage you dial in, Air pressure to push the plasma through, feed rate (i.e your speed across the cut) , and pilot arc (where you don't need clean steel) VS the strike type (which needs clean steel and a ground)
I made an adapter to plug into 220V to 110V plug (marked it as 220V) and can now run my 100' airhose and a 100' drop cord across the yard to begin parting out my 2nd dead DUKW. Have to worry only about someone plugging a 110V into the extension cord, but I flag the plug and told my Son (only one around) about what would happen if he DID plug a 110V grinder into the 220V configured cord plug...letting the smoke out...

This is "Off Topic" and not a tool review, just trying to close the loop on your question, Go look at You Tube...really. My Cut 60 with Pilot Arc ran just under $325 by the time I added a 5 meter torch from another vendor and plenty of spare tips.

If I was a professional Iron worker or shop, I would see paying $800 to $2000 for a Miller/Hobart/ESAB outfit and having a warranty and shop around that can maintain support as needed. I'm not, a Chinese knock off serves what little I do here as a hobbyist. My mechanic friend gave me his older Snap-On plasma cutter as it did not meet his expectations of about 1/4" clean cut on steel..worth about $600 or more when new....it was dead after I got it all hooked up, turns out the insides had diodes that failed or such and Snap-On doesn't warranty those items forever, no schematics... etc. So I opted for an "Introductory" tool and i'm totally happy. Just made a cart for it out of an old BBQ grill cutting it in half and narrowing it so it fits in the shop better. So between the Plasma and a Mig..two tools made the whole thing.
V/R W Winget
Plasma Cart 002.jpg
From old Grill to new cart
Plasma Cart 001.jpg
That's Pomegranate not pink LoL
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Return to “Mule M274”