Pictures of mules from 101st AB?

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Mike47
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Re: Pictures of mules from 101st AB?

Post by Mike47 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:11 pm

I think it makes sense to preserve historical markings on historic vehicles. My brother and I acquired an M274A2 last year, and we decided to do a complete tear down and reassembly restoration, with paint removal, priming and repainting. The SN clearly showed this mule to be a Marine, but when we started carefully removing paint on the front frame member we discovered marking indicating Army assignment:

1C A V 2C 12
HQ 116

We are preserving this portion of the front frame just as found, while painting the rest of the mule in 24052 Marine Forest Green Semi-Gloss. We feel this is appropriate to honor the memory of those who served in both branches, especially those who operated this mule in wartime.

Guest 1
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Guest 1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:41 am

1C A V 2C 12
HQ 116

Your number on the front cross member clearly shows at least the bumper or the chassis once was assigned to Headquarters Company, 2d Battalion, 12th Cavalry of the 1st (Air) Cav Division. 2/12 was Airmobile Infantry during the Vietnam war. They arrived in country 15 September 1965 and departed 27 March 1971, previously stationed at Fort Benning, Ga. Its not unusual for Army vehicles or equipment to end up with service with the MC.

In a recent conversation with Muleman and others, we agree after so many years of the late Leonard Grove, Bill Watson, & others that sold these truck's in mass, there surly are some bastard mules out there. Beds with MC serial number switched to Army frames, etc. etc. I recently purchase an A2 from a guy that purchased it from Property Disposal (DRMO for young guys) at Albany, GA, that is a MC depot, and it is clearly marked MC, while my blood is Army,, I'm going to restore this one and leave it MC. One thing nice about this hobby, its your mule paint it up as you like!!
Cheers!
W. Roberts
MVPA 1401

muleman7
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:08 am

The following "info" came from Guest 1 after contacting him about my purchase of an original not altered M274 that is complete including all deck covers. The gas tank has a Red Club on a Black BG.

The following was sent to Guest 1 from a former Airborne guy he served with.

"Here's a website showing the various helmet markings:

http://hainesgarage.proboards.com/threa ... e-division

In the late 1950s and early 1960s the Army's combat forces were in the Pentomic (battle group) configuration, so if it's a club insignia, it would be the 1st Airborne Battle Group, 327th Infantry. If it's a spade, it's the 1st Airborne Battle Group, 506th Infantry."

Below are pics of the Helmet Markings for 101st AB WWII, Mule and Data Plate plus Gas Tank:

Helmet Markings 101st AB WWII

Mule Side View

Gas Tank

Reg # 2B3010 Date of Del 11-57

Ser # M274 10136

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

338Edge
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by 338Edge » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:09 pm