M29C WEASEL PROJECT

Ships, Boats, Small Craft, Patrol Craft, Landing Craft, Amphibious Tracked Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
gregpanico
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

M29C WEASEL PROJECT

Post by gregpanico » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:14 pm

I have the opportunity to obtain a 1944 M29C Weasel for a good price. It hasn't run in 10 years. It currently rolls. I haven't gone to inspect the vehicle yet, but that will happen soon. Does anyone have any inspection tips? Things I should run away from? Things I should look at closely? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
COLD WAR, DESERT STORM, GWOT
MSG, US ARMY RESERVE
MVPA #21763

41 MB-95948
53 M100 Trl
45 Converto Abn Dump Trl-0877801
70 M762 Flatbed Trl

dirtfab
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
Re: M29C WEASEL PROJECT

Post by dirtfab » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:55 pm

The weak link on the Weasel in the tracks. Most need to be rebuilt with conveyor belting or new bands- which are very difficult to get in the US. There are aftermarket such as LAR- but expensive- about $14K I think now if you can find them. Rust is almost always an issue- so not a deal breaker as most will have rust, but you will need the skills to repair and replace.

If you are building a true M29C swimmer there are some REALLY hard to find parts out there. Most difficult is probably the swim skirts and front bow shield. Windshield frames are hard to find and the wiper motors are practically gold. The top bows and top are also difficult to find and expensive if they are located. So where I am headed is that spending more money up front for one more complete is better than trying to piece one together and in the long run cheaper.

Running 10 years ago probably means locked up. I've bought a couple "ran when parked" and they all had water that got into cylinders.

I assume you are probably looking at the one in Grass Valley. Its not a bad starting point, but its missing a ton. Tracks look rough.

I have one that is very complete and had the engine running a month ago, but it would be much more than the one in GV. I'm also in CA FYI- Near Auburn.

Scott

gregpanico
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: M29C WEASEL PROJECT

Post by gregpanico » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Scott, Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm looking at the one in Grass Valley. I'm aware of the track issues. This one has chain welded to the tracks. I'm a mechanic, so I'm not worried about the engine. I can deal with that. It is missing the swim skirts, front bow shield and rear float tank. The fuel tank is a modified quarter barrel. What price would you put on it?
COLD WAR, DESERT STORM, GWOT
MSG, US ARMY RESERVE
MVPA #21763

41 MB-95948
53 M100 Trl
45 Converto Abn Dump Trl-0877801
70 M762 Flatbed Trl

Return to “Boats, Ships, Landing Craft, and Tracked amphibian”