New track bands for weasels

Ships, Boats, Small Craft, Patrol Craft, Landing Craft, Amphibious Tracked Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
04mustang
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: New track bands for weasels

Post by 04mustang » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:20 am

Hi everyone,
As an update of where things are currently.
I will have a prototype of the road pad this week. These will be a 1 piece design per grouser but will have the appearance of the original 2 pad per grouser look. my current plan is to sell these as a kit of 112. That's enough to repair 2 tracks of the 56 grouser design and should cover the bases on all other types of track of less grousers. These will have holes that line up with existing holes in the grouser so that you can bolt or rivet them in place.
Thoughts on this kind of kit? would you prefer to see it offered a different way?

I hope to have a working prototype of the track bands before the beginning of the year. These would be a direct replacement with metal clips already in them so that all you have to do is put your track grousers on the new bands. I'm working on both inner and outer band replacements.

Depending on how things progress with the bands and interest of people restoring these, I may look at reproducing the war time outer track rubber coated cables. Thoughts on this option?

Thank you,
Corey

Pasturepilot1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Pasturepilot1 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:37 am

Corey, keep us informed. I'd be interested in the pads.

Bob

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:25 am

You asked for thoughts:
Although the wartime appearance may be desired, ultimately the "strongest" design would be what I would desire as a purchaser.
Why: 99.98% will not notice a difference in the pattern of the track band, but 100% of weasel drivers would be happier if the track lasted longer than a weaker original design.

Over design being preferred, as the Army had other vehicles to go rescue a stuck weasel whereas a single private weasel owner is basically forced to abandon the vehicle to seek some daring individual to help come get her in the the Springtime, or figure some way to get her from wherever the track failed without a lot of heavy equipment.
I cannot risk entering my backyard Marsh and crossing over the entirety of it until I know I have a way to get it (and myself) back home without towing a long cable behind me for example to hook to a recovery vehicle. Loose a track out there and I'll have a lot of fun jerry rigging a recovery method/tow rig.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Pasturepilot1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Pasturepilot1 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:27 am

Winget, it sounds like you are a proponent of all rubber tracks which is more practical and durable if using our Weasels.

Bob

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:03 pm

Not really, and rubber is not really an option in the States.
I just think that if you have a choice between a rubber coated original cable and a selection of flattened intertwined coated cables, the strongest design would be appropriate if it were used by the military. A rubber track goes beyond restoration just like K-Mart tailights would. Useful, inexpensive, but not keeping in the military context of the vehicle.
Maybe I like the 50's versions of track instead of the 40's if there is a point to be made...by the 50's, experiments were going on to improve mobility and used in Extreme Winter exercises and jungle testing, so looking at the (any) engineering changes might yield the strongest "military' version of the track (again if any real change).

I could go M114 track, it would look nice, but not be correct.

All depends on if you want to use your Weasel for show or go, hard to have both if you want accuracy. The recent track shoe design (Liberty?) which was merely open C channel doesn't 'look' the part, but it's either that or go with Lars? Rubber track (if you can get it) right now.
My suggestion is not based on anything more than an opinion which was asked for.

Original look with bullet proof non-expanding stainless and kevlar cables, titanium plates and super soft/ lasting neoprene coating and pads (if such a thing could last) would be an ultimate if you had a budget of the Federal Government. :D
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Return to “Boats, Ships, Landing Craft, and Tracked amphibian”