Bogie Wheel Inspection.

Ships, Boats, Small Craft, Patrol Craft, Landing Craft, Amphibious Tracked Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Bogie Wheel Inspection.

Post by W. Winget » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:39 am

Great job working through it. Wish I could do my Liberty Truck wheels with that stuff, but they are SO BIG...
Just a bigger mixing bowl I suppose, maybe next year.
Glad I could provide the paper to help in some of your work. I'd still recommend looking up the Army Combat Excavator "ACE" replacement roadwheel contract awardee company and asking them some questions.
V?R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

White Boggie Wheels answer

Post by W. Winget » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:18 am

Well it took a while, but the question was did they come in "White" and I think the answer is those are for the 1944 Allis Chalmers M7 Snow Tractor
Those came in white. If you look at the below pic of the NOS spare parts a member is selling, (with his whole vehicle on e-bay) the road wheels were cast in white.
Possible answer for the "White" color on the one's you have.
V/R W. Winget
1944 Allis Chalmers M7 Snow Tractor parts.jpg
1944 Allis Chalmers M7 Snow Tractor
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

dirtfab
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by dirtfab » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:42 am

Even the M7 bogies are painted white, not molded white. My T15 Weasel has white bogies, but again painted. Rubber is still black underneath.

Also, just for clarification and information sharing- the T15/M7 bogies are completely different than the T24/M29/M29C bogies. In fact, even the T15 & M7 are not identical. The M7 wheels need to be removed from the hub and either bolted or riveted onto the T15 hub in order to use them.

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:42 pm

Thank you guys for the input however, when I purchased my Weasel in 2004 it came with enough parts to fill the bed of a G-506 and a Ben Hur trailer. The treasure hoard included about 160+ Bogey Wheels and 34 of them were not only painted white, the rubber was pigmented white as well. I remember reading the date tag on them to be 1951 or '52. I wish I had taken some photos of everything I had then, but the Weasel was more of a play toy to me than a serious piece of equipment.
I sold everything I had to Mike Howard, L.A.R., in late summer of 2007 to buy a Command Car. A tracked vehicle in So. Cal. isn't really practical unless one is in close proximity of mud or sand. Snow is a rare occasion.
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

dirtfab
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by dirtfab » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:11 pm

Never seen the pigmented white rubber bogies, but doesn't mean they don't exist. I learn new things about the Weasels all the time. I was simply clarifying that the M7 bogies in the picture posted above are painted white- not pigmented white rubber. You can tell in the pictures too. Also- only speaking for my T15, but all of the white bogies are just painted white.

It would be neat to see the white pigmented bogies and learn the history on them.

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:52 pm

No hurt feelings here Dirtfab, I understand that you were just speaking about your experience. I never thought that I would ever have another Weasel, but I have one now and really wish I had all the spares I used to have. AAARGG!! :)
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

Return to “Boats, Ships, Landing Craft, and Tracked amphibian”