Weasel tracks redeux 2019

Ships, Boats, Small Craft, Patrol Craft, Landing Craft, Amphibious Tracked Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
70th Division
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Weasel tracks redeux 2019

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:18 am

Hello,

Looking forward to the update !!

Ray

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:40 am

OK, before I share some good info from PRC, I just reread wingnuts post about his band project and tracks. So I'm going to through out f anyone salutes it.Since the molding of the clips into the bands appears to be a stumbling issue and the height of the inner bands to insure correct timing is t might allow a new steel clip to be made that goes over the top of the outer band material to secure it to eah grouser. T New r.

I'm also going to share an idea that someone else suggested in regards to removing the old rivets. I have ge to Anyone try this procedure?
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA
Jeeps, trucks, trailers and Weasels

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:50 am

OK, here we go. Several emails from PRC (Joe) in VA. He has a set of Norway bands and is in process of restoring a set of weasel trakcs. Photos of this process. The Norway bands are not cheap. over $3k per track with shipping, cash only and you arrainge shipping. So, over 6k for just the bands, but a very original look and process.
If we could get these bands made in the US or a bulk shipment of them into the US for distribution, it might them a little more palatable.
tracks VA.JPG
tracks VA.JPG (31.86 KiB) Viewed 961 times
grouser before.JPG
grouser before.JPG (28.55 KiB) Viewed 961 times
band clips.JPG
band clips.JPG (19.02 KiB) Viewed 961 times
IMG_1930band clips 2.JPG
IMG_1930band clips 2.JPG (19.97 KiB) Viewed 961 times
band specs 1.JPG
band specs 1.JPG (23.09 KiB) Viewed 961 times
band specs 2.JPG
band specs 2.JPG (21.73 KiB) Viewed 961 times
nor bands 1.JPG
nor bands 1.JPG (21.67 KiB) Viewed 961 times
nor bands 2.JPG
nor bands 2.JPG (29.81 KiB) Viewed 961 times
nor bands 3.JPG
nor bands 3.JPG (30.68 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:18 am

video link to Tony in the UK with his weasel on rubber STAMAN tracks. It is my understanding that these require a supplied different sprocket wheel, so you will need to judge for yourself the appearance of the tracks and the sprocket wheel.

https://www.facebook.com/AxholmeSigns/v ... 050247127/
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:10 pm

Somewhere there was the M114 track conversion as well using the sectional pieces of the M114 (M116 husky) track, you had to change sprockets and space the roadwheels out from memory.

For my bet, stamping metal brackets, then putting stainless cable in a form followed by Urethane pour will likely prove the longest lasting most original appearance, and easiest to produce outside of a factory (vulcanizing rubber operation isn't for home shops typically) till the track shoes crack, bend or rust away, then your going to need new shoes as well as bands, this is where Liberty ended up with a belted and "C" shaped shoe solution for ease of manufacturing and durability.

Have to wonder why the Staman rubber belts couldn't go on the road just like Halftracks, but as many states have banned all tracks on the road at this point, adding back in a Weasel as an exception would be a real uphill battle.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:37 pm

STAMAN web site still down. I have heard from European contacts that they are still active, but have no reason why their site is down. I found some image information, but it is not dated, so don't hold me or STAMAN to these prices, but their kit is $6,900 US plus approx. $600 shipping. This price includes 21 percent VAT, but I do not know enough about tariffs, import fees, duties, customs, etc to represent this as a final price to your door.

This is what is included in the kit:
STAMAN 1.jpg
STAMAN 1.jpg (29.19 KiB) Viewed 941 times
STAMAN 3.jpg
STAMAN 3.jpg (26.62 KiB) Viewed 941 times
STAMAN 2.jpg
STAMAN 2.jpg (27.97 KiB) Viewed 941 times
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:44 pm

OK, here is my next brain fart question. It is my understanding that one of the previous vendors of bands that does not do them any more, did not use a loop band, but a single cut length of conveyor belt material and then butt ended the two loose ends somehow with a clip. Presumbly, 4 different butt ends on 4 different grousers so the stress point was balanced through the tracks.

When I talk to my conveyor belt guy about either molding in clips or using a different clip set up to hold the bands to the grousers, does it have to be a continuous loop band like the originals or the Norway bands? Or can there be some way of just using a 253 and 5/8" length of belt and butt splice or join it with some sort of couplin?

If we needed to mold in clips, doing so on a straight line rather than a circular band would be much easier, I presume. I will ask Joe if his Norway bands appear to be a solid mold or if he can determine a joint splice.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:31 pm

Well, this answers how they do it in Norway.

Two different molds for the two different bands? Or some sort of adjustment to one mold to make the two different heights?
nor band mold.JPG
nor band mold.JPG (16.99 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:50 pm

Exploring all options here. reading some old forum posts from Alaska. So, I'll ask here...
anyone run M56 or M116 tracks on their weasel? Are they any easier to get and maintain? Or are we just trading problems?
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Not putting all my eggs in one basket, so I'm pursuing several different options. Rubber track sets with different sprocket wheels from STAMAN. Trying to find a local supplier for this set up so that international freight, tariffs, taxes, etc are not an issue.
Working with band local vendor to try to duplicate Norway bands or some alternates to bands for the weasel grousers to keep the original look.
Will contact starlight extrusion in OH to get an update on their weasel band venture that they discussed several years ago.

If anyone has any other options or suggestions, I live to serve.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Stamans been doing these for over ten years now, and band development has come a little further along. My point is there is likely another source within the US for continuous bands (What's the Howe brothers that make RipSaw use? they make their own, they may offer a refit kit too, make a "Deal Deal")
http://www.ripsawtank.com/
The shafts are for spreading the road wheels (re-using the original nuts, bearings, etc.) with what looks to be two spacer collars on the new shafts to keep them centered. The spacer plates bolt on behind the sprockets and idlers, I'm not sure what the 6 discs are for.
If another source for continuous bands and sprockets were found, that would indicate the only thing required would be threaded shafts, collars, spacers and whatever the discs are for (possibly outer idler guides but why 8?, perhaps return roller outer guides with two per roller) several of these items may even be sourced from other providers of steel components or parts like McMaster Carr for sleeves or off another machinery component in the Agricultural world. Perhaps spacer between disc plates ona Disc plow for example, axle shafts off a wheeled planter, etc.
Have to wonder what Rip Saw guys would say, the tracks need to be High Speed capable, not heavy excavator / Bobcat stuff.
V/R W Winget

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 am

OK, another update on bands, maybe not good news, maybe it is.

Contacted Starpoint Extrusions, the OH firm that has been mentioned as a possible weasel band supplier. As of now, they are going to attempt to create molds and move towards making weasel bands with the molded in clips for use with weasel tracks. Now, the bad news, not for us...
Seems a military vehicle enthusiast is going to use these bands to make modular sections of weasel tracks so that those of us that only need sections for repair or one track, etc., can purchase them.
I don't have a lot of details about what type of grousers or road pads or the use of original weasel grousers or some sort of new pad, etc. as Starpoint did not feel comfortable divulging too much information and I can respect that.

But the bottom line for now is that Starpoint is not planning on being a player in the weasel band market.

On a separate topic, does anyone know a military vehicle enthusiast in Nevada?
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm

While surfing through photos of the RipSaw track, and realizing they have multiple types of tracks for their vehicles, I also came across several other sites. These guys sell track for snow machines, everything from flat belt for drag racing them on asphalt to cleated for grass, etc. Length of track is one measurement they list by, but an e-mail to them regarding other possible machines and or Weasel tracks might yield results.
https://www.tracksusa.com/index.htm

As to staggering the belts, I see no reason why a replacement belt set could not be made in straight sections and then staggered in mounting by one or two shoes to disperse the potential for breakage. Breaks I see are usually from the outside band snapping due to twisting torque of turns, then migrating to the inside belts. One hasty repair was to use steel cable a with U bolts across the broken belt shoes with the U bolts pulled through the track and tightened down. I welded chain links across a few shoes leaving them to pivot where they crossed over the gap and this seems to have held up fairly well to prevent further degradation.
V/R W Winget

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:08 am

Not much of an update, but just letting all know I'm still working on this. Got loose track with separate grousers. Working with rubber track company to see if they can put together an application for a set of rubber tracks and matching sprocket and idler wheels and whatever modifications are required. Have sent photos from European kit and also found reference to Volvo BV202 tracks and wheels.
Still working woth conveyor belt company to come up with bands and clips. I believe this will only result in additional belts that will replace the outer bands and fabrication of new clips that will secure the stock bands to the grousers. In my mind, this will absorb stress from the inner bands that the wheels roll on and exterior clips are not an option.
After seeing the molding and injection process involved in making bands from scratch with the clips molded into them, I will make inquiries, but I am not optimistic that someone will take this on for the limited market. They are available from Europe and may be a personal option for me to obtain the original look of the grousers and bands. Road pads will still need to be addressed, but I cannot believe that some sort of exterior hard rubber block ttached while new bands are being bolted on the interior of the grousers and would provide, in my mind again, as close to new tracks as I think we are going to get.

Temporarily, I have acquired significant amount of roller chain and may tack weld onto existing tracks to provide me the ability to move my weasel around the shop during restoration. This will eliminate my ability to provide grouser and band samples to vendors, so I am holding off until those avenues have been exhausted.

Any suggestions or plans of actions that I have not thought of, please feel free to make your opinions known.

Now you know what I know.

Robert
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

ditchdigger4149
G-Private
G-Private

Post by ditchdigger4149 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:13 pm

Robert
I've been following your dilemma for a couple weeks. I;ve sat on a good weasel with french tracks for 10 years , afraid to run much due to the rusty chain links.
I checked the Staman site again today and it is still down.
Last week I ran across an add on the Milweb site with a listing from Ruud Moors for tracks that look very similar to Staman's.
They quoted me a price of 3250 lbs ex 21% vat and shipping to the Los Angeles area of 350 lbs. I'm assuming apair
The price seems cheap but affordable.
Does anybody know about Ruud Moors or the quality of the tracks?
Mike

Return to “Boats, Ships, Landing Craft, and Tracked amphibian”