Weasel tracks redeux 2019

Ships, Boats, Small Craft, Patrol Craft, Landing Craft, Amphibious Tracked Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
signsup
banned

Weasel tracks redeux 2019

Post by signsup » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:47 am

Waited until new year to start this topic, let's see where it leads.

My recently acquired 1945 M29C is in need of track replacement or restoration. Most, if not all, of my research along these lines provides dated posts and threads that may or may no longer be relevant or accurate. Old vendors may be out of business and new players may be in the game. So I want to just start a whole new thread and lets' see if we can't get the latest and greatest track information all in one place.

One request is that if you are reading this thread, you are somewhat interested in the information being shared. Please post a quick reply post that you are interested in the subject. If only one or two forum members are following this, it may die from starvation. If a dozen or so members are at least following this, it may provide the energy to live off of.

The next post will provide a suggested course of action.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

signsup
banned

Re: Weasel tracks redeux 2019

Post by signsup » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:53 am

Let's start by defining the tracks. To start off with, let's all be governed by the understanding that I am a newbie to the weasl world. Most of you have forgotten more about the weasel that I will ever know. But I got a wasel and I got a manual, so let's get 'er done!

It is my understanding that there are two types of tracks. Maybe the size is the only difference between the two, the earlier size track width is approximately 15" and the later style is approximately 20" wide. If this is incorrect, chime in. I do not know if both types take 4 bands and cleats or if the pads are the same number or not. I presume the overall circumference is the same for both sets of tracks, but again, I am presuming.

My personal interest is in the 20" wide 55 pad with 4 bands and two road pads set of tracks.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:33 am

So, let's all agree on what to call the various parts of the track as I get confused reading old threads.

Bands . . . 4 continuous steel cable, rubber enclosed bands. Originall BFG and then Consolidated made some replacements. Appears that metal U shaped clips are molded into these bands in the original configuration.

Cleats . . . I am calling these cleats as the clip or attachment device for installing the bands onto the underside of the grouser. Held in place with rivets. Each grouser has 8 cleats per unit. 16 rivets per grouser to hold bands to each one.

Grouser . . . the 15" or 20" wide steel track plate. Slightly bent over on each side with dimple on underside that has a welded steel strip on the topside in place for traction and grabbing and propelling through water. I have seen these referred to as track pads. But I want to call the rubber pads on the top of the grouser track pads. So I'm call the steel plate grousers.

Pads . . . the solid hard rubber blocks that attach to the top of the grouser for road use. Two blocks per grouser, appear to be slotted on the underside to slip over the traction bar along the width of the grouser. Cannot see any mounting hardware on the road pads so must be vulcanized or glued onto the grouser top surface.

I am making a presumption that many reading this thread are interested in band and road pad replacement as they are the wear items. Cleats and grousers should be restorable if an original set of tracks is being restored. If somene is looking to build an entire set of tracks from scratch, that may be beyond the scope of this thread.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:16 am

Hello Robert,

Happy New Year to you and all G503'ers !!!

Excellent idea for a thread for the Weasel Track Restoration Information HQ !!

The main issues are that most original tracks are well worn out, rusted, and the bands are broken.
As far as I know, there are no original style bands in production anywhere.
I do know that the Norwegians at one time had them in production, maybe they made the whole track, I don't know.

My weasel has Norwegian made broken rubber bands, just like the originals should have been.

The current method to rebuild and restore the original tracks is to use industrial reinforced rubber conveyor belts,
two different widths and thicknesses.

I have found that the belt sections are available on Ebay . I have not bought any yet, but likely will go this route.
There are some great posts about using the conveyor belt bands, and bolting the old grousers to them.
Takes plenty of time and effort, but the end product is a set of working tracks.

The issue I have is that many of my grousers are rusted thin, and need to be replaced with additional ones.
Many of the vulcanized rubber pads are also missing.

This is a very important field of interest for us,
as "affordability" really comes into play when thinking of what to do regarding
the tracks for many weasel owners.

Looking forward to all comments to further this important Weasel Track Restoration thread !!!

Best Regards,

Ray

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:54 am

Ray brings up an interesting housekeep point. One of the frustrations of reading 10 year old threads on this subject is that eBay listings and links are long gone as well as some photographs that have been removed from servers. So, if someone has a photo or a link, let's post it here and try to provide the contact information as well as the link in case the link goes bad.

I would be interested in capturing the bands referred to on eBay. I will try to post a separate post with the current vendor and options for track restoration as they now stand.

There is the Liberty tracks. I will contact them and get photos and latest prices. It is my understanind that this is a complete set of tracks, but not visually period correct. My understanding is in the $10k - $12k price range for two tracks.

I have been in contact with a man in Holland who provides the bands with the clips attached, ready to install to grousers and they look very nice. But are $6,000 US plus shipping for just the bands.

And an eBay listing for the grousers, NOS from Dover, DE for $55 each. So going the route of Holland bands and NOS grousers with 75 year old rubber road pads on them would be in the $11,500 plus shipping and the labor to install almost 9,000 rivets or bolts

The purpose of this thread is to see if we can skin this cat in other ways.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Hello,

Here is a very interesting web page on rebuilding some weasel tracks.
At least it gives a great visual lay out on how to approach rebuilding our own tracks.

http://www.snakeriver4x4.com/forsale.php

A quote from the bottom of the web page :

"Outer band material is 1/2 " thick and is 700 foot pound test material. This belting is new and has been used for years in the AG industry. Inner bands are 3/4" in thickness. $350.00 for 2 strips to do one track. Inner bands are typically used rock belt that has been hand selected. New material is very expensive. Bolts for bands are more easily purchased locally, rather than ship the additional weight"

Best Regards,

Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Hello,

Here is a video of a weasel restoration that shows some tracks restored to get an idea of the end results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uePEC0OTuY8&gl=NL&hl=nl

Here is another interesting track restoration video, welding steel blocks were the rubber "pads" used to be :
Interesting, but someone get that ole boy an auto dimming welding mask, asap !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uePEC0OTuY8&gl=NL&hl=nl

Ray

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:50 am

I notice the reference to type 2 and type 3 tracks. The type 2 is 56 grousers and the type 3 is 55 grousers. Can we make the presumption that the overall circumference is the same dimension? That the type 3 and type 2 grousers must be slightly shorter so that the number is different. Can we presume that the bands are the same for both types?

I have a full set here at home on my weasel and one broken track in Aurora, CO waiting to come home, so I would like the broken set to start cutting up the bands and getting a better look at the bottom side. The above link is the first I have read that the 4 bands are two different dimension. If we could get the overall length, we could start talking to band vendors.

Another question... forgetting visuall appearance, if someone wanted a set of tracks to roll around the estate, has anyone looked at current all rubber tracks for Bobcats, sid steers, John Deeres, Toro's, etc? If something came close to fitting and they took modification to fit the sprockets, for the low cost, it might be something to look into.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

jzimm
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by jzimm » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:07 pm

There's a Facebook group with a lot of Weasel info on it. Unfortunately, the best source of info was the M29 website http://www.m29cweasel.com/ which has been offline for several years now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4190345 ... 266269586/

trackdriver44
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by trackdriver44 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:55 pm

Hallo All,
Best wishes for 2019
We drove here with many weasels the rubbertracks.I drives great and you drive everywhere in any conditon.Not longer nightmire about the original tracks.
Sorry i can post picture here.
if you have intrested please send mepm.

Jeff Jensen
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Jeff Jensen » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:17 pm

Hello
I thought STAR POINT was doing some thing,Same people that are making the 1/2 track tracks.
The prices you have listed are way to high for the rubber bands, look what 1/2 Track track sells for.
Jeff Jensen
M29C

Jeff Jensen
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Jeff Jensen » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:25 pm

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:47 pm

Hello ,

There has been talk of new oem style bands being made, but that seems to be all it is currently.
I have seen nobody offering new rubber track bands for sale anywhere.

Star point ? A call can be made.
Their web site... nothing available for the weasel, let alone any tracks for anything.

BAIV in Holland has a weasel listed for sale with restored weasel tracks, using "new" oem style bands.
Are these elusive bands made in Norway, or Prague, Czech Republic, or Holland ???

https://www.baiv.nl/studebaker-weasel-m29-s7093-1944-9/

Here is an interesting thread on weasel track types and repairing them :

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showt ... hp?t=14753

Here is a company that does rubber repair to construction tracks, maybe they have the capability to add rubber
to new cable assemblies using our old original riveted brackets removed from from the old bands, then possibly making a "new" track band ?

Maybe they can create some of the rubber track pad knobbies that make contact with the road surface and vulcanize them to the old grousers ?

Just throwing some ideas out there :D

http://www.carrolltech.com/trackRepair.htm

Best Regards,

Ray

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:03 am

Rainy day on the schedule for tomorrow. I'll start making some phone calls then. Emails to Liberty and the other guys have gone into black holes. I'll post an update on what the current track situation is. I got a PM from a gentlemen in Belgum on rubber tracks and I will try to have him get some European information on what is available in track sets and bands. The $6,000 US price quoted on bands and cleats is from Holland. So, add shipping to them.

As I speak to vendors about possible band resources, am I looking for a continuos band molded as one piece that has to be a certain width, height and circumference? Or is the band material a long length that is cut to the proper length and then spliced together? I cannot feel any splice on my current bands.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:38 am

Re: Differences between M29 and M29C Weasel
Report this post
Quote

Post by Weaseler » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 am

Like i said before there is 2 types of 15” track. One is 55 grouser and 56 grouser just like the 20” track So there is actually 4 different types of tracks. I also made my own convyer blets cost
me about $500 and a lot of sweat
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

Return to “Boats, Ships, Landing Craft, and Tracked amphibian”