Battleship Texas hull repair

Ships, Boats, Small Craft, Patrol Craft, Landing Craft, Amphibious Tracked Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Battleship Texas hull repair

Post by kelley » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:24 am

This is really interesting to follow ….
https://battleshiptexas.org/battleship-updates/
Kelley

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Battleship Texas hull repair

Post by W. Winget » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:34 am

Never can figure why these great ships are not run up a dredged channel, then backfilled with material or concrete to end the constant corrosive environment of the water.
Seems like a much cheaper and simple solution.
Great work, amazing efforts.
W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

85jeepcj
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 85jeepcj » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:54 am

My dad’s ship, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.
Fire control man third class, 14 inch guns.

Tim Shanteler

Post by Tim Shanteler » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:14 am

Thanks for sharing....
Tim

1945 WC-57 81674456
1944 WC-52 81750129
1945 MB 430629
1943 Ford GPW133609
1943 Ben Hur 0347395 (Gertstenlager)

85jeepcj

Post by 85jeepcj » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:40 am

Because of kamikaze attacks during Okinawa the crew was on 100% battle stations for 30 days and they weren’t happy.
Someone attacked Captain Baker in his quarters with a club, the club hit the beds headboard and ended the attack, the attacker was never identified.
After the Okinawa battle the Captain came on the intercom and told the crew he knew they weren’t happy with him, he told them because of their diligence they saved the ship and it’s crew and tonight they had total control of the ship and could roam anywhere on the ship.
Shortly after Captain Baker was relieved of his command and return home, job well done, his tenure as Captain of the Texas started in Europe and ended in the pacific.

clintm20
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by clintm20 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:02 pm

Never can figure why these great ships are not run up a dredged channel, then backfilled with material or concrete to end the constant corrosive environment of the water.
A friend told me that won't work because they need the buoyancy of the water to support the weight of the ship properly. If it was not in the water the weight of the upper portions will collapse the lower hull. Didn't check it out but I think he was correct.
Green Trucks and High Tides Forever

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:10 pm

Eh? Obviously, this ship is in drydock with wood supporting the hull like every ship being built (possible steel supports as well now) so they can repair the hull.
Locally we build Ford class aircraft carriers in drydock then float them, so I'm afraid that logic doesn't hold water. :D

The USS Olympia moored at Philadelphia had the tide entering and departing daily through her hull, another good candidate to place a coffer dam around and slowly pump in concrete entombing it in its floating position (VS the $15M they paid to work on her) Maybe make it look like seawater with some paint and stucco too.
W. Winget
clintm20 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:02 pm
A friend told me that won't work because they need the buoyancy of the water to support the weight of the ship properly. If it was not in the water the weight of the upper portions will collapse the lower hull. Didn't check it out but I think he was correct.
Last edited by W. Winget on Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:26 pm

Apparently, it's not a new concept regarding my thoughts, here's referencing the Olympia's background:

"In 1925 Washington politicians and American Legionnaires blocked Navy attempts to scrap or sell the vessel. Two proposals to make her a permanent shrine failed: one to embed her in concrete in the Potomac off the capital, and another to do the same in Washington State."

Moot point, there's always plenty of money to be had like San Francisco's thinking about 5Mil per person in reparations.eh?
V/R W Winget

clintm20
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by clintm20 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:37 am

Eh? Obviously, this ship is in drydock with wood supporting the hull like every ship being built (possible steel supports as well now) so they can repair the hull.
Locally we build Ford class aircraft carriers in drydock then float them, so I'm afraid that logic doesn't hold water. :D
True but that is temporary, and the ships are launched as hulls and finished in the water so weigh much less. AS I INDICATED, I didn't check it out was just relaying what I was told. If the other method was the best solution you would think they would be doing it that way.
Green Trucks and High Tides Forever

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:47 am

W. Winget wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:26 pm
Apparently, it's not a new concept regarding my thoughts, here's referencing the Olympia's background:

"In 1925 Washington politicians and American Legionnaires blocked Navy attempts to scrap or sell the vessel. Two proposals to make her a permanent shrine failed: one to embed her in concrete in the Potomac off the capital, and another to do the same in Washington State."

Moot point, there's always plenty of money to be had like San Francisco's thinking about 5Mil per person in reparations.eh?
V/R W Winget
Hello,

It would be nice to have the Olympia rescued, it is criminal neglect to let it fail the way it has, since it is such an important historical ship,
and I believe the last of its kind, with Spanish American War history.

The Texas preservation videos are very impressive and their efforts will preserve it for a long time now into the future.

I am glad at least some areas in America are preserving our History, and it was nice that a WW2 Texas Veteran recently visited, to take a look at the major restoration efforts in dry dock of his ship.

As far as available money, there seems to be no end of it , with insane government spending, so money spent to save these ships would be nothing.
Plus that money spent will provide great employment to ship yard workers and all involved with the efforts, as the USS Texas director mentioned all those involved with their efforts.

Maybe some of the war effort money going to Ukraine can be redirected, as it wouldn't be missed, before the next 100 billion disappears down the MIC rat holes.
How much cash was left on countless pallets in the middle east, after trillions spent on the war there, and the US just got up and left ?
Walked away, and it is now rapidly being forgotten, except by those who served there and their Families ?

Best Regards,
Ray

tuareg

Post by tuareg » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:22 am

History does not interest to politicians,

Here in Spain we are loosing our history as never seen. Collecting antique guns is forbidden and it is very difficult to have an old car in Europe, with special zones “0 pollution” in the cities.

We lost USS Cabot (1943-1967), sold to Spain 1967-1989 and finally it was retired from service in June 1989, he sailed from Rota (Cádiz) on July 13, 1989 bound for New Orleans, where he was handed over to an American organization of former USS Cabot veterans to convert him on a museum ship. However, exposed economic problems of the institution, forced it to be auctioned and scrapped in Brownsville, Texas in 2002. Part of the island and flight deck are, like USS Cabot, in the Naval Aviation Museum of the Naval Air Base in Pensacola (Florida, United States).

I have interesting photos of Dédalo in Canary Islands in 1988, taken for me when I was 18!! Many times arrived to Canary Islands that ship.
Willys MB
DOD 27 july 1942
TUB 63439
CHASIS MB161718
Estimated Hood number very high 20214xxx to very low 20215xxx
Probably 1st Armored Division, Operation Torch, still doing research.

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:53 am

About ten years ago, the Texas was slated to have done to it exactly what W. Winget proposed. They were to dig a narrow blind channel adjacent to where she has been moored. Once in the channel they were going to block the open end and fill in with concrete where the water was. It obviously didnt happen.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

Return to “Boats, Ships, Landing Craft, and Tracked amphibian”