Weasel tracks redeux 2019

Ships, Boats, Small Craft, Patrol Craft, Landing Craft, Amphibious Tracked Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
prc148
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Re: Weasel tracks redeux 2019

Post by prc148 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:29 am

I have a pile of travks (broken) with noth Norwegian and WWII bands. These are 55 grouser tracks. I have the Norwegian 3-cable drawings dome where which are different from the 4-cable WWII bands.
I also have a beautiful single track set of dutch bands - stainless steel cords and about $3200 per track final cost for bands only to get to the US. I can get more but it is a pain and expensive since the seller won’t take anything but cash and won’t help with shipping. Another fellow here on G503 buys them and flips them as a two track set but the premium is unrealistic with shipping from Belgium/holland for 8-bands. Seller premium plus cost plus shipping ($1200)...even with a free ride in a connex box...nope!

Last I talked to StarPoint last fall they were out of the weasel band game. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
Road pads.....my buddy figured that out. Replacable bolt on pad with weld on grouser adapter. It looks good and doen’t destroy the wife’s driveway. Can make them too....by the box.

70th Division
G-Major
G-Major

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:10 am

Hello PRC,

Thanks for the input !
Where are you located ?
Maybe you could get a single grouser track section to Signsup, so he can start research with his contacts ?

Also, the Dutch bands you are speaking about, are they the entire Dutch rubberized new tracks for that price that Staman International sells ? (Their website is currently down)

Or are you talking about a source for new 1 3/4 inch x 1, and 1 1/4 inch x 1 rubber bands that hold the original tracks together by rivets ?

I am hoping that BAIV in Holland has them or knows where they may be being manufactured, like Prague ??

Also could you post some pictures of your buddy's road pad attachments ?

Here are pics of my Norwegian rubber bands on traditional style 20 " wide tracks :
photo(202).JPG
photo(202).JPG (136.18 KiB) Viewed 118 times
photo(199).JPG
photo(199).JPG (115.8 KiB) Viewed 118 times

Best Regards,

Ray

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:47 pm

I am hoping to have loose track section in my hands on Thursday, Jan. 17th and try to meet with conveyor representative on Friday, Jan. 18th here at the shop. In the meantime, I'll try to get a recap of where all the vendors stand and what their current offerings are and at what price. Got my M29C started and moving on one track this weekend, so I'm getting fired up.

https://youtu.be/LLuQ2dWeOg0
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
A jeep, a truck, and a trailer

70th Division
G-Major
G-Major

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:03 pm

Hello,

Excellent work Robert !!
That engine sounds fantastic and it moves back and forth :D :D :D

Looking forward to your report from meeting with the track guys.

Keep up your good works, if anyone can get something done, I an confident you will be the one !!

Best Regards,

Ray

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:35 pm

Yes, the Staman web site appears to be down. Someone on a Facebook site posted a set of rubber tracks and different sprocket wheels for the weasel and he is in Sweden. I am presuming these are a set of Staman tracks. He bought them and never installed them and he is asking $6,000 euros plus shipping, so they are cheaper than Liberty tracks, but still no bargan.

This is from an old, old post on the G

maet my tracks were Joop but ther are some now available fro Caroltech more origanl looking, but rubber one are very good and can use on

Nothing on Google on this Caroltech. Does this mean anything to anyone so I can contact them and see what they offer, if anything. Again, a 12 year old post.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:45 am

Stil waiting on my loose grousers to come home next week so I can move forward with conveyor belt people. Still trying to get current updates from Staman, Snake River, Liberty Auto Restoration and foreign vendors. Voice mail, dark hole emails, dead web sites, etc.

Read recent post from Kevin Lockwood in KS that he is offering, basically all new halftrack tracks for $2,750 a track, or $5,500 a pair. Difficult to swallow $10k to $12k for weasel tracks. Or the same money that Kevis is seeking for a full set of halftrack tracks for just the bands and clips from weasel vendors.

I'm thinking this is the whole intent of my thread. There should be a more affordable way to keep these weasels on the road.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA

vince08200
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by vince08200 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:27 pm

I have rubber track if you want

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 am

PM sent on rubber tracks. Need prices and shipping and photos. I am researching a set of STAMAN rubber tracks with replacement sprocket wheels from Netherlands. Shipping may be significant.
If a set of rubber tracks and replacement sprocket wheels are a possibility, it would be great to learn if the tracks and wheels are available from a US supplier. I don't know if these parts are custom made or just OE tracks and wheels from another modern piece of equiptment like a Bobcat or John Deere skid steer.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:35 am

Just a quick update.
Black hole from Liberty Auto Restoration. Maybe on holiday, no answer to email and no one answers the phone. We all know what their tracks are and look like. Price may be anywhere from $8k to $12k.

Talked in depth to Snake River. He is NOT going to make any more bands. Might work with someone locally to supply lengths of conveyor belting that is just butt joined with his steel clips. Sounds like program I am trying to put together with my band supplier.

Bands and clips available from "vince" in Europe for $5k US plus shipping. Would use your own grousers and road pads. This may be the same "Vince" that has just offered rubber trakcs. This may or may not be STAMAN. STAMAN web site is not operating and STAMAN may or may not be a viable option in the future.

So, unless someone else has another option, I am pursuing with my band supplier a way to get bands and attaching clips to existing grousers and come up with a road pad option. Hope to have loose grousers in my hands late next week.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:51 am

Having lurked long enough...
I have one running weasel (M29 and a friends M29C (stripped) with broken track) here in East Virginia.
We went down to the coal piers and were allowed to bring home a section or two of conveyor belting. (they have miles of it)
I've yet (10 years) to get to business on it due to myriad of other distractions (deployment to Afg was only one)
One consideration is the thickness of the material, it must match the original inner belts height to maintain the pitch around the sprocket. To accomplish this, I figured to "leave" my original rubber that rolls under the boggies alone, and place the conveyor belting on the outer three rivets only, then go in and saw cut the original rubber so it would maintain flex capability (step might not be needed, and might cause dropouts, so maybe not a good idea) Whole idea was to keep the inner belt height the proper standoff from the sprocket to avoid damage to the sprocket teeth and band slippage.
Now used conveyor belting is available on Craigslist under recyclable suppliers, and very likely if you checked around to gravel pits, mines, etc. you would find plenty of older material. Of course the re-sellers will quickly point out it's not new, your spending money on old stuff which may break, etc. etc.

Couple of reasons I haven't gotten to it:
LOTs of rivets to cut off, torch may work best, but don't want to damage anything, grinder will likely gouge just as bad or worse than the hot tip of the torch.
Cutting of belting: They claim you just use a circular saw with metal cutting blade or sawzall, but the last tire I tried to cut was a real PITA so I don't know about that being successful.
Drilling all those holes, Screwing together the screws, cutting off those bolts, hammering over the threads to lock the nuts on.
Then there's the whole loss of vulcanized shoes issue, and how to replace them. I thought of boat snub bumpers, but that's more drilling and bolting too, especially where there were no holes before.

I have one extra broken track lying up here to use for parts for the other two sets I need to re-build, and one of the NOS shoes that TNJ Murray sold years ago. willing to loan them out, but I can't give them away as were going to need them for the tracks we have. Also have two NOS? replacement or removed bands with the little cleats (think they are outer bands) I picked up years ago, not sure if they would be useful to send off to someone for duplicating, was planning on using them as an outer band for each side to maintain show appearance.

My Liberty truck requires BIG 40x7" and 36x6" solid tire wheels to be remade, likely with Urethane. I only mention this as everything eats money (8K for wheels?) and takes more effort than one can accomplish in a (hobby) lifetime.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

prc148
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by prc148 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:58 am

70th Division wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:10 am
Hello PRC,

Thanks for the input !
Where are you located ?
Maybe you could get a single grouser track section to Signsup, so he can start research with his contacts ?

Also, the Dutch bands you are speaking about, are they the entire Dutch rubberized new tracks for that price that Staman International sells ? (Their website is currently down)

Or are you talking about a source for new 1 3/4 inch x 1, and 1 1/4 inch x 1 rubber bands that hold the original tracks together by rivets ?

I am hoping that BAIV in Holland has them or knows where they may be being manufactured, like Prague ??

Also could you post some pictures of your buddy's road pad attachments ?

Here are pics of my Norwegian rubber bands on traditional style 20 " wide tracks :

photo(202).JPG

photo(199).JPG

Best Regards,

Ray
Ray,
The bands from Holland are identical to the Norwegian bands that bolt/rivet to the grouser.
I’m in Virginia, USA.

I’ll see about getting a pic of the pads posted.

prc148
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by prc148 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:12 am

Track pads:
https://i.imgur.com/M7ZMEwP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DpfZZM6.jpg

If there is an interest, he may start making them.

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:52 am

Those pads look like they would work. and, just bolt through the existing grouser rivet holes. The Norway or Holland bands are a viable option, but still pricey. But they keep the original grouser and appearance of the weasel, so there is value in that. The road pads to not detract from the look in my opinion. If the Norway/Holland bands sound like they generate some interest, I'm wondering if there is enough interest to make a combined order to save on shipping. Or discuss with them about a distributionship for the US.

Now, shifting gears...I'm thinking out loud here. It looks to me that the attaching of the steel clips that hold the bands to the grousers is a stumbling block. An extra step in the molding or vulcanizing process. And, the original style of bands with the steel cable in rubber would prevent just running a bolt through the bands to attach them to the grousers. Question . . . do the bands have to have steel cable in them? If a wider, same height band was found that did not have cable in the center, but would provide enight strength to hold the grousers together, could two bolts be run through each band picking up the original rivet holes.
Mightve to recess som bolt head or nut holes to allow clearance on the bogie wheels, but that would take the molding or vulcanizing the clips out of the equation.

Thoughts?
Robert Brough
Winston, GA

prc148
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by prc148 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Sent a wole bunch of info to signsup including the Norwegian band prints.

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:34 am

All will be posted here immediately. Fantastic wealth of information and exactly what this thread was intended to do. Prevent 10 different people from having to solve the same problem 10 identical ways. Different ideas and approaches are always welcome, but duplication of effort is beneficial to none.
But, I'll give a spoiler alert. These bands all come from Europe and are not cheap, so finding a US supplier is still a goal.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA

Return to “Boats, Ships, Landing Craft, and Tracked amphibian”