Slat grill low windshield cutoff serial number

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Dawgman
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Slat grill low windshield cutoff serial number

Post by Dawgman » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:02 pm

I have 103904. It looks like it’s been together forever and the paint layers match among parts. It has a low windshield and hood with the long latches. My question is, the forum serial number list has 103545 as the last low windshield. Is it possible that my slat could be correct, maybe held back or reworked and parts that were on hand were used in spite of what the “serial number lists” say?
I’m not sure whether to restore it as is or restore with the later high windshield. Thanks for all reply’s.
12-12-41 slat MB
Midland/Willys frame script GPW 9xxx
No’s match 4-42 script GPW
No’s match 10-44 GPW
Dead MB plow
45 MB 8-21-45 restored
1943 M3a1 WSC
MVPA 7xxx

slatgrille
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: Slat grill low windshield cutoff serial number

Post by slatgrille » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:04 pm

Nothing is 'absolute' in the WWII jeep world. Low w/s are a rarity and since your serial number is soooooooooo close, in my opinion, I vote to retain that w/s. If the hood has those long catches, it sounds pretty original to me. Doesn't seem that someone would go and change a matching hood and w/s to 'an old jeep'. Also, check to verify that holes weren't added to the hood for those longer catches.

As a side note, Willys didn't have matching engine/body numbers. I found an early engine block that is stamped 106727. My slat is 105557. It's as close as I'm ever going to get to the correct number, so I'm going to rebuild it this spring. Currently (past 23 years), I have a very late MB block in it. At least the new engine could have been a possibility when new, certainly not what's in it now!

Craig

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”