Sources-Passing on Info "The Word"

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
MB-SlatBob
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Sources-Passing on Info "The Word"

Post by MB-SlatBob » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:52 pm

After joining this august body and reading through many threads looking for ideas, parts, sources, expertise, shortcuts, and general good things, I may have a couple of notes to pass on in part repayment.
I'm no expert; but I am a pretty good historian, a lousy mechanic, a very good contracts and procurement guy (my entire working career), and have old-timey experience with military things.
So, I read all about batteries, then went out to solve the problem on my slat-grill MB, which was converted as far as I can tell by the military, and it has an early battery sump in the firewall. It's a 12v. system, and the battery is dated 2012---- so it's tired and on the charger every night, and I had to act.
Here's what I did: I bought a Duracell SLI 24F; nice plain, flat top, polarity is right, priced under $190, and cranks like crazy...all the power anyone would need, and a great reputation for standing up to Arizona heat.
Then- I ordered a battery topper from Legendary Battery Toppers (Carl Stuber, Ohio) who can fit any 6 or 12v battery. The other two guys mentioned on the forum have closed up or are not answering.
Then- I have ordered red Willard Press caps to glue on top, and a Willard decal for the side from Weskcar in Belgium. They look very original.
It should give a very satisfactory look.

Lastly for now, I have also found a source for old-timey plain finish dark steel bolts, machine screws, nuts, washers, and that type hardware.
Mid-States Bolt and Screw
Burton, Michigan

The President of the company no less, filled my first order at what had to be 11pm back there, and got it out the next morning, and I didn't even ask for a rush. The order was for a few bolts/nuts/washers for embarkation tie-down rings, tow hooks, and a few other things, no more that $50, but he sure put forth the effort. Next time you search, please try him. He was great for me.

I hope those notes help someone. As I run onto other things, I'll pass them on.

GSS
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Sources-Passing on Info "The Word"

Post by GSS » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:06 am

This is very kind of you. Every little piece of information benefits the entire group. Thanks.
GSS
1942 MB 113037, "Slat Grill"
1945 MB 431740, 20698289-S

JeePa
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Sources-Passing on Info "The Word"

Post by JeePa » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:17 am

Thanks for the sources!
I enjoy this forum for the wealth of info that gets “procured” out of what first appears to be something minor. But in fact, the attention to details and the drive to “get it right” leads us to corners of the “G-verse” that otherwise are a mystery.
As one who who is constantly looking for the odd-ball stuff in all the wrong places, I appreciate the information revealed by the ingenuity of folks like you.
Is there a roster of resources somewhere I have been missing? If there is none, does the forum support a means to develop one? Other than the “search” mode that can be a spiderweb.
My “hard copy” is sitting somewhere on my shop desk; I eventually get to penciling in new information, but it’s the old-fashioned way to do things (my kids’ and spouse’s take on how my shop runs) and for those new to the hobby would find it a boon to getting objectives attained.
For those of us that are the “I need this done” mentality, a resources list would be great. Life is short and many forks in the path, I am getting less tolerant of the “detours”that end up in the brambles.
Highest Regards, JeePa

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”