Slat Engine Early

Nov. 18, 1941 - MB100001 thru Mar. 6, 1942 - MB125809 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Slat Engine Early

Post by Michael O. » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:12 pm

Seems I have all the correctly dated parts you need...but you have the engine I need.

Abraham's does good work...I can also personally vouch for them. I'm surprised you couldn't find a shop closer to you in PA though.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:26 pm

All the old guys and shops are long gone, its all tractor pulling and racing engine shops anymore.

adam

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:03 am

pulled up some of the receipts, how do you copy old text and make it appear in the shaded box???

pulling out a head, distributor and genny today,, closest i have might have to work.
I did sell my rolling slat and the two in GA never came through,, i know where another is , However i do have all the parts to clone the engine in the pics below, it is a slatty motor,done up as a ford, postwar rebuild i guess, gray like the engines hobart uses in their postwar welders with mb motors.

Machining and assy, 2900
RFJP parts 977
cost of block and shipping to abrahams $1100
shipping back, 450
my crank plus post to abrahams $300
Early rivited oil pan 250
oil float
early front motor mount plate $125
front timing cover and hardware
cam hardware
front plate hardware
belt guard
engine that gave up 3 main caps and 4 rods $500
postage for oil pan and down, $112
Attachments
074.JPG
073.JPG

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:55 am

Something every "rebuilt motor" should have.

Adam
Attachments
20230618_112748.jpg

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:46 am

Another $200 for fastenal shipping back to NE PA.

.040 pistons, NOS Ford gasket sitting on the top. Not going to use that just so i do not scratch up the head which is still in the shop.

Adam
Attachments
20230727_144840.jpg
20230727_144827.jpg

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:52 am

Still need an intake, some parts off to the bead blaster, need a carb too, ron is oos right now,, put my new one on one of my other running engines.

Adam
Attachments
20230723_190416.jpg
20230723_190056.jpg

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:18 pm

I love the look of a new, clean, machined engine.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:22 pm

Finally got a head, got the head Magna fluxed and recut on something that gives a smoother cut. Another $450 into this engine.
Attachments
20240124_171831.jpg
20240124_171810.jpg

Ted Schacher
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Ted Schacher » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:19 pm

Sounds like quite an adventure. I can't wait to hear the Total.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:39 am

Me too! My engine, GPA-345 is officially a week overdue and I'm getting anxious. I've been calling and checking on it and have been assured that they're just busy and don't want to rush it, which, within reason is fine with me. I have plenty to do on the body, but I'm getting anxious. I was going to go with Abraham's, "just" a 5 hour drive for me, when a local Willys guy I met through another forum (great guy too!) recomended a shop that's literally right down the road from me that did a couple of his Willys Superhurricane 226's, so I went with them. When I get everything back, hopefully soon, I'll report here, and on the other forum (OWF) how good of a job they did. As these shops are going away so fast we in the hobby need to know what options we have. The shop informed me that they're the last one left in southeastern Wisconsin and they did personally know (and respect) the old guys that I mentioned doing my work years ago. I'm hopeful that this shop will be OK if for no other reason than the owner had a basic knowledge of what a GPW was and why. The fact that my block was a GPA block was not lost on him either. My machine work is not as involved as Adam's, so the cost will be far less. I'm getting hot tanked, magnifluxed, one cylinder sleeved, all cylinders bored to 0.020" with NOS Ford pistons fitted, and the deck and head planed for flatness. I measured a 0.006" "wave" in the head, a first for me, as they usualy curve like a banana, or twist. I'll be installing the new cam bearing and doing all the assembly after thorough inspection of each component to the best of my ability. I'm no stranger to assembling these, but this is the first one in the last 5 I've done that needed more than a hone and rings and new bearings.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:40 am

Hopefully all will work out, Other than the centerline job, everything done there should be done to any rebuild. I did not assemble it as plans were to sell her and i do not usually trust anybodys rebuild so i let the shop do it. Used parts were an addition as it was a bare block with no caps. Now it all the dressings that go on the outside. Intake is getting to be a problem was going to buy a rust bucket jeep to get the manifold down in gettysburg area, seller did not want to wait till i got to it, now it is for sale in iL for 1900. As it sits now it is prices out of range from mostly everyone, although i did just buy a slatty a few weeks back that is mostly a complete project, will yank the rebuilt engine in her and put mine in. The pulled engine is said to be rebuilt by a known jeep dealer, mainly gp now though in pa, was trying to find his shop as there really is no proof of it. Engine has a weld under the distributor too so who knows its real condition.
Good luck, somebody was looking for gpa parts, have you sent a note to ron? if you dont plan to use the engine. I do have a gpa intake it is listed on here someplace, dont know your engines date. no pvc yet has end bosses. JMP haw has early slat skinny dipstick tubes coming to the states shortly, will grab one of those instead of using my home made units, their info is on here someplace too.

Adam

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:48 am

Another question, how do you feel about the nos ford pistons,, I have heard many things from the characteristics of the metal changes over times and what not. There is also a shop in ohio, listed on FB that Tom W is recomending. To get an engine to either you can ship fed ex freight, they will take 1 skid, i use freight quote or one of those companies, it gets it to their front door. they will pick up at you house with a liftgate too for additional bucks, Fastenal works too, must be in the east zone, contact a member close to whichever and get them to pick it up and do the legwork out there, some people wont charge an arm and a leg.

I had 2 engines in 2 shops out here, for a year. ended up picking them up since they did not even look at them in all that time, they talk a good story though. I did sell them as is, to an overseas guy, had them done and rebuilt in 3 months, counting ocean voyage.

Adam

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:32 am

Interesting question on the NOS Ford pistons. The tin plating looks like it's wearing off, even though it's obvious that they've never been installed. Maybe the cosmoline in the wrapper reacted with the plating? It doesn't look like the plating is chipping though. The appearance is more of a stain effect. When I get it back I'll take some pictures.

I think I have acceptable accutrements for this engine, but admit that some items might be later than the engine is, maybe. If I can successfully weld the exhaust manifold I'll have a nice F showing. If not, I have an MB version to use. I have the intake, but it has the plugged ports, but then I think all GPA's may have had that feature, maybe, so maybe it's original to this engine. I do have the draft tube and valve cover with the litle bracket spotwelded on as well as the proper dipstick. Like I said, I think I'm good on all the bolt-on stuff. When this thing is running I can sell a set of Ford rods (apologies to the guy looking for them last year), and a bunch of other 134 stuff, but I don't want to sell stuff I may need so I have to wait until this one is running to determine what's extra before I can sell it.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “Slat Grill, early Willys MB”