"Somewhere in England" N Scale World War 2 Railroad

Question and opinion regarding modeling
armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: "Somewhere in England" N Scale World War 2 Railroad

Post by armyairforce » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:53 am

May 7th 2014

To start May, I started the kit for the pump house. This will go on the siding on the branch line, shortly after it emerges from the tunnel under the airfield.

The kit was built pretty much out of the box, except for adding a base of styrene and bricking up a number of windows since the incorrect set were included in the box. I did find some from another kit that suited a couple of windows. Fortunately the four along the back aren't seen anywhere.

Steve Carr - Only dead fish swim with the stream
My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:54 am

The building complete, except for surface texture on the base.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:14 pm

When buying the pump house kit, I also picked up the first two packets of figures. These have been painted as US Army Air Force officers, ground and air crew.

I also started adding colour to the ground. The paint was water based household emulsion, small sample pots. They were cheap and blended well with a little water on the surface of the model.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:15 pm

The sand was painted with a mix of two greens and brown.

The first brushed coat complete. A sprayed coat will come next to even out the tones a bit, 'though in this shot, the paint is still wet in places, changing its colour.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:17 pm

Grass powder was mixed with dilute PVA and painted onto the sides of the blast shelters.

The hangar queen and other airframe wreckage was attached today, and in the background, a number of trees were added. Trees and hedge lines were left intact as much as possible during airfield construction, to aid the camouflage of the airfield and buildings. Particularly so around the bomb dump, hospital and technical site.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:18 pm

Another view of the hangar queen and airframe components in the salvage yard.

The blast shelters still need the internal walls painting, and the trees have had some additional foliage added, which is still wet in this shot.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:46 am

Three of the Nissen huts were also attached.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:49 am

The Lancaster received a little more weathering and also marks on the grass where it has skidded to a stop and signs of the engine fire.

The edges of the signal square were cleaned up and the black background painted. This area was often darkened with oil and ash to give a strong contrast to the symbols within the square.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:50 am

The brickwork in the blast shelters was painted, followed by the concrete floors ( not shown in this picture ).

Nissen huts were glued to the bases beside the hangar, and the hangar had blocks fitted inside to allow it to be screwed to the base from below, as I figured it was better off removable. The red warning LED's were also connected up to the taxiway lighting.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:37 pm

May 15th 2014

Once the black was dry, the rest of the signal square was masked and sprayed. At present, the white dumbbell has black stripes. This signifies that landings and taking off must be done from the paved runways, but taxiing can be done on the grass. Being a bomber field, wet grass would probably allow a bomber to sink, so I may change it to a plain white dumbbell.

A small piece of paper was rolled around a tapered paint brush handle to produce a wind sock. It is about one inch long.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:38 pm

The wind sock was mounted on a piece of steel wire, with a small 'V' of copper wire joining the sock to the mast. It was painted the following day.

All painted and perimeter and dispersal lighting on for the first time with the colour applied.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:39 pm

A mix of sand and very small pieces of foliage were mixed with white glue to simulate the foam from the fire truck. This was painted onto the ground and the Lancaster wing and port engine nacelles.

This close up picture shows the foam texture a bit more. When the mix was dry, it was painted with white enamel.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:42 pm

The windsock and mast painted, and temporarily fitted. It won't be attached until the final detailing to avoid accidental damage.

The following day, I made another trip to the model shop to collect some previously ordered parts, and also to buy most of the turnouts for this section. Some other small accessories were placed on order too. Later in the day, I went to B&Q and bought the main bulk of timber for the rest of the airfield section.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:22 am

May 14th 2014 - The day began with us being locked in the house when the front door deadlock mechanism jammed. With anti-lift off hinges fitted, removing the hinge pins didn't help either. A locksmith finally forced the lock from the outside. The rest of the day was spent shopping for, and then fitting a new deadlock mechanism, which of course, didn't quite line up with the existing holes in the door frame, adding to the work.

The next day, I got back to the railway, marking out the trackwork on the 9mm MDF. Where elevated sections met the outer baseboard frame, the board was cut until the frame work was glued in place. The remaining cuts were then made, freeing these track beds from the outer frame work.

While not glued in this picture, the track beds for the branch line, main line and the track up to airfield height can be seen in place. A number of 'T' piece supports were made to hold these track beds.

My Websites

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:17 am

The main lines curve left off the edge of of this board towards the next section, and swing back on them selves to the right to run down the back of the airfield and country station, and eventually loop around the mine, back to the station to allow continuous running on the existing part of the layout.

After the mine section is made, the layout will probably be shipped to the customer Small one feet long sections will be made to fit the airfield and mine, continuing the main lines along the original track plan design. This will allow further sections to be made to link up to the layout, without having to have access to it.

The opening at the right end, between the branch line and main lines will need a road adding to link up the road leading to the station. This road has to double back on itself, raising the road height to match the two humps in the end panel landscape profile. The road that it links up to on the station section, can be seen in the second picture below.

My Websites

Return to “Models, Toys, and Remote Control MV Equipment”