M2/ M3 halftrack track (endless band) info wanted

Question and opinion regarding modeling
jcard
G-Private
G-Private

M2/ M3 halftrack track (endless band) info wanted

Post by jcard » Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:05 pm

Apologies for the duplicate post but I dumb-thumbed my first one...

I'm reaching out to multiple sources as I'm looking for copies of the original blueprints, specifications or similar for the
endless rubber band tracks used by WWII M2/M3 halftracks.

A little background. I build and collect 1/10 an 1/6 scale vehicle models. I recently purchased a barely started Armortek M2
halftrack kit. I'm fairly well along in construction and have already added quite a bit of detail with much more to be done.
M2 side_smaller.jpg
The problem is the tracks. The OEM tracks that the model was equipped with are based on metric #52 roller chain which is far to coarse a pitch. Add to this are 2 rubber 'loops' glued to K1 attachment tabs of the roller chain. The result is a very stiff track that the machine struggles mightily to just move. Add to that that the rubber loops fail quickly.

The basic model is a fun project, but the tracks fall short.

I'm searching for enough information about the originals, not so much to duplicate them in miniature as I don't believe that's practical but to understand the track/sprocket pitch of the full size, better dimensional awareness and perhaps more detailed information as to how the metal framework was made. I understand there were a number of steel cables that were clamped between a series lateral steel plates that had a central hole to mount the track guides. To the basic steel framework rubber was vulcanized over it to make the completed basic track, without attached guides.

While I'd love to replicate the track completely in 1/6 scale, again, I doubt that's a practical goal. I want to aim for something achievable, with enough service life, these models are meant to run, looks the part and doesn't cost as much as the rest of the model.

Any information you can point me to will be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Hammerhead
G-Major
G-Major

Re: M2/ M3 halftrack track (endless band) info wanted

Post by Hammerhead » Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:49 pm

Hello jcard! Welcome to the "G"! Your project sounds very interesting!

As far as the original tracks, try contacting "R.E.Co." here on the G! He is actually producing exact reproduction tracks for the Halftrack. He would be able to give you the exact measurements of the original tracks that perhaps you can use to calculate the 1/6 scale tracks!

Keep us up to date on your progress. There may be people on this site that would love to have a RC Halftrack!
1943 White M-3 Halftrack, 1944 CCKW 353, 1945 MB, 1944 Bantam T3,
1945 Ben-Hur 1-ton trailer, MVPA 12610, NRA Life Member

jcard
G-Private
G-Private

Re: M2/ M3 halftrack track (endless band) info wanted

Post by jcard » Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:03 am

Hammerhead wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:49 pm
Hello jcard! Welcome to the "G"! Your project sounds very interesting!

As far as the original tracks, try contacting "R.E.Co." here on the G! He is actually producing exact reproduction tracks for the Halftrack. He would be able to give you the exact measurements of the original tracks that perhaps you can use to calculate the 1/6 scale tracks!

Keep us up to date on your progress. There may be people on this site that would love to have a RC Halftrack!
I did contact that firm and was told he could not provide measurements. He referred me to his FB page for photos of how
the tracks are made.

The model I'm working on was originally made by Armortek, a limited run model long out of production. I'm not selling any models,
this is strictly my own project. I'd suggest anyone who wants a similar model search for Armortek M2 kit; they were last produced in 2007.

I would be happy to simply have measurements of sprocket /track; pitch, width, length but I believe I'm on my own here. Information
seems relatively difficult to obtain.

Jerry

Return to “Models, Toys, and Remote Control MV Equipment”