Wiring Plugs

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Wiring Plugs

Post by Action » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:00 pm

I am looking for info about the round plugs with multiple wires, such as ess plug, fuel pressure plug, a/c pressure switch plugs, engine harness to body harness plug, etc.

Do these plugs disassemble easily? I think i need to squeeze a female metal part on a 2-wire plug.

Jason

badgerd
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Re: Wiring Plugs

Post by badgerd » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:47 am

Yes and no. Some are solder cup, some require insert/extraction tooling, and pin crimpers when pins need replaced. Really depends on the particular plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:41 am

Ok. I have no plans to replace anything yet. I just want to get the female metal end out to squeeze it a bit tighter.

Jason

badgerd
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by badgerd » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:57 am

On what plug? Like I said, some may not be removable, like the top of the magic box (at least on my truck it’s solder cup)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:15 am

badgerd wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:57 am
On what plug? Like I said, some may not be removable, like the top of the magic box (at least on my truck it’s solder cup)

I described which plug in the first post. The same plug is also on the 4-speed brake switch, and the trans warning lighy...
It is the little plug at bottom of this pic with two wires going in.

Jason

badgerd
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by badgerd » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:40 am

That’s a particular one. It’s an ITT/Cannon “sure seal” series connector. If you’re good a soldering you can solder the pins, if not you’ll need the special crimper, not the same as any other crimp tool in my inventory. I modified a old insertion tool to work with those connectors, but you can fight a properly crimped or soldered pin in with a jeweler’s screwdriver, the insertion tool is expensive too.

Link to Newark, but PEI Genesis, Mouser and Digikey sell them as well. https://www.newark.com/itt-cannon/12018 ... dp/26M5723

Just a note, you need to buy pins separately, and like the packards, they have “male” and “female” connector bodies. I’m pretty sure the link is the one I buy to make electronic speedo harnesses and I’m pretty sure interfaces to the tach pickup on the oil drive.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:14 pm

I just looked up the ITT plugs. They 50-100 matings lifespan. I basically just need a better connection between the male and female pins. The males are split in half. I can either spread the male slightly or just put a dab of conductive grease in the female pin.

Jason

badgerd
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by badgerd » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:17 pm

They’re total crap plugs, but I’ve been unsuccessful at long term repairs on them.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:46 pm

badgerd wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:17 pm
They’re total crap plugs, but I’ve been unsuccessful at long term repairs on them.

Yeah. An AMG tech told me the joints get loose easily. I try a simple fix tomorrow and will report back.

Jason

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:30 pm

FWIW, you can push a thin awl into the center of the male pin. (Yes, the male). It will spread the halves apart enough to make a better connection. The plug feels more firm when pushing back together.

Jason

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”