Humvee won't start quick fix

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

nickd
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Humvee won't start quick fix

Post by nickd » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:57 pm

Thanks to the Marine mechanic I met today at the USMC birthday celebration at Cookies in Philly here is a quick fix to start your humvee when the switch will not make the starter jump into action.
A jumper wire between terminals S & T on the diagnostic plug near the shifter will bypass the fancy smart box and start the engine. If you use a paper clip or an uninsulated wire make sure you don't touch it when you move the switch to the start position or you will not be happy. If the starter does not turn then you have a bad starter otherwise it should start. Make sure the transmission is in park or neutral first I cannot verify if it works but it came up in conversation on what to do if humvee no go assuming the neutral safety switch is
good.
1986 M998 & M1102 trailer
2 M275A5 1 with 4ws

1 M274 w/106 recoilless rifle and all accessories FOR SALE with spare rear transaxle and transmission

1 M274 W/TOW removed from the inventory
1 m274 w4ws
M102 105 mm Howitzer
75mm pack Howitzer
John Deere military gator
1986 Humvee with 6.5 non turbo slant back, armored turret and gunners shield

TOBASH
G-Private
G-Private
Re: Humvee won't start quick fix

Post by TOBASH » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:49 pm

I sell replacement boxes that have no computer crap. Just a push button to activate the glow plugs while counting to 3, then just start your rig. In the cold, press and count to three. Release and count to three, then repeat 2 more times and start.

No temp sensors. No integrated circuits. Nothing but easy starting.

The military called these stupid things "smart boxes". I call mine an idiot box, cause any idiot can count to three and start their rig.

PM me for details.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”