Hummer h1 and humvee differentials compatibility

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Tech9
G-Private
G-Private

Hummer h1 and humvee differentials compatibility

Post by Tech9 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:50 pm

Hello, I’m restoring 2 hummer h1, one from 1995 and one from 1999.
Both hummer h1s have front differential problems, for the 1995 I bought a reconditioned 2.73 differential from a humvee shop which I think is compatible with the rear one, anyone know if I’m correct?

For the hummer h1 1999, I opened up the differential and I need a part that has been discontinued (https://store.adv4x4.com/6009873.html). The differential should be 2.56 I’m thinking of also buying reconditioned humvee front differential if I can find one that is 2.56 or I would just buy 2 reconditioned 2.73 and just replace both.

I know this is a humvee forum not a hummer h1, but since there is so much knowledge here maybe someone can help me out on the best solution.. the 1999 h1 if I press the accelerator hard the car clacks on the front like the differential is skipping, I’ve opened it up and there is some play on the parts and since part 6009873 is discontinued I think the best solution is to just find a humvee 2.56 (if it’s possible to just put one of these on the front and keep the rear original 2.56), or just replace both with 2.73 which I can find best since I’m in Europe and parts are more scarse.

I haven’t tested the 1995 out, i completely tore it apart to restore and it’s still a work in progress, but if the 2.73 humvee differential is not compatible please let me know.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Hummer h1 and humvee differentials compatibility

Post by Action » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:48 am

6009873 shows “out of stock”, not discontinued.
What position are both shifters in when you hear the clucking?

Jason

Tech9
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Tech9 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:19 am

I talked to the owner of the shop and he said it has been discontinued. I think the ones that are found for sale are old stock.

In D and the other one in H.
The car is not used for off-road, so I never put it in HL or L.

Thank you

ohiohmmwv
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by ohiohmmwv » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:48 am

I have a rolling chassis for sale. If you’re interested send me a private message. It would save you a ton of work and might be cheaper in the long run.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:56 am

And may need to buy the diff spreader to get ring assembly out of case, if rebuilding.

Jason

Tech9
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Tech9 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:31 am

I’m from Spain, i know parts there are easy to find here not so much. Me buying your rolling chassi is out of question because of transport.

I’m not thinking of rebuilding the differential, I would just buy an already rebuilt differential, my doubt is if I buy a 2.56 from a humvee if it will be compatible with my front 1999 hummer h1 and If I can just replace the front and if it’s compatible and won’t give me trouble if I don’t change the rear diff also.

And also if the 2.73 rebuilt humvee differential I put in my 1995 hummer h1 I’m rebuilding will also not give me problems.

Regards

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:02 pm

You can swap diffs from H1 to HMMWV as long as the ratio is the same in both diffs of the same truck. Try to get one for the position you need. soyou dont have to change the input yoke.

Jason

AAVP7
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by AAVP7 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:13 am

I know several dealers in Germany who have tons of Humvee axles in stock. Those axles came from surplussed Humvees that had to be cut up. So there are lots of Humvee diffs available in Europe.

The fun bit will be to make sure that you get the right diff ratio.

Try Sotaparts.com (best parts service, vast knowledge, but higher prices)

Or alternatively globeworks.eu or morlock-motors.de Both are a bit overworked, so getting what you need might take a while.
Arnd

M997 Maxi Ambulance
M1045 Slantback
M1101 Trailer

Tech9
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Tech9 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Thank you very much for all the help! :D

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”