Various Thermal Imaging Cores - DRS, BAE, Raytheon, .. cables (twist lock, turn-lock.

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

GPW43
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Various Thermal Imaging Cores - DRS, BAE, Raytheon, .. cables (twist lock, turn-lock.

Post by GPW43 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:03 pm

Hello,
I wanted to share some insight as finding info on the CORES and cables isn't easy. First the unit on the FAR right looks to be the same size as Cadillac Thermal cores but it has different guts and the wheel inside is made out of glass and not thermal plastic (translucent plastic); The connection is the same military small 21 pins connector allowing you to use the HMMWV DVE viewer. It is made by Raytheon. I had not seen one before and ran into it by luck. It operates with the 'Viewer' no different than other cores. It seems to have slightly less resolution - could be the age or the fact that the wheel is missing a major chunk that doesn't sweep the sensors properly.

The 25 micron cores (NSN ending with 37xx, or 16xx) come right angled or straight. I have found not all cores to have the same sensitivity - no doubt they get exposed to various elements causing them to behave slight different by the time we get them.
The cables are hard to find and there are two kinds (twist lock and turn threaded (multi-turn lock). Depending on the viewer they are not interchangeable even if you straight plug them in (remove the outer lock ring); If you have a core ending with 43xx i like chat.

The viewers come and go (latest DRS ones seem to have better resolution too); I had to repair one viewer which happen to have an issue with the power Mgmt portion of the viewer. They have tons of electronics in them thus protect your investment and do not start or stop your truck with the Viewer ON- make sure it is off. They have polarity protection but still I would not mess with it thus pay attention when you hook them up.

Happy viewing..
GP
Attachments
VAS5.png
Zareh
GPW 43
BMW R27
BMW R35

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Various Thermal Imaging Cores - DRS, BAE, Raytheon, .. cables (twist lock, turn-lock.

Post by 86humv » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:03 pm

The DRS units have a electric shutter...When those fail...No image.
The Raytheon has a rotating device { glass } instead of a shutter...so first time camera gets dropped...glass breaks...then low res. image or no image.
Later dates on DRS cameras...have a little more res.
Screens are made by at least 3 different companies and are all compatible.
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

GPW43

Re: Various Thermal Imaging Cores - DRS, BAE, Raytheon, .. cables (twist lock, turn-lock.

Post by GPW43 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:05 am

Thanks G,
I hear you on the Chopper wheel in Raytheon unit, they are very sensitive to shock. Cadillac plastic wheel/chopper might work as a replacement but they have their own issues with broken films and shaft size might be different too.

GP
Zareh
GPW 43
BMW R27
BMW R35

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”