inner A pillar with armor

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

ohiohmmwv
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: inner A pillar with armor

Post by ohiohmmwv » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:43 pm

Ted Gates wrote:Driver side no. Passenger yes. On passenger side a plate goes from left to right and from a beam down against front wall to top of inner/outer pieces. Book shows this well

I recommend setting your hood snubbers and latches with spacers first before placing inner armor. And the control box armor plate. Tight fit and hard to reach.
Ted can you explain the spacers? Now that I have the inner armor in place I realize that getting those hood latches and snubbers in or out would be next to impossible. Armored trucks don’t actually use nutserts for those do they? Would come in handy.

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:20 am

I believe there are spacers added between the cowl and snubber block. A friend told me that when looking at active trucks. I don't have them but need them because there is a gap on mine . I have not seen nutserts used in TM but it would be nice. I might change mine when I get around to adding spacers. There is also a reinforcement plate between a pillar and a beam where the door strap bolts to.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:02 am

So the spacer fills in the big gap above the interior cowl armor? What would hold it in place? Maybe it has threaded holes for the hood strap bolts...,
I have seen that extra a-pillar piece. I may be able to find a pic of it. Those have been left in some auction trucks.

Jason

ohiohmmwv
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by ohiohmmwv » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:39 am

I have a couple part numbers of the new items they’re putting on the reset trucks. But I’ll start a new thread.

On another note, does anyone know the diameter size of the holes in the floor? The ones that go from the front inner armor down through to the under body protection pieces? Is rule of thumb 1/8” larger than bolt size? Seems to be the rule for other places on the body.

ohiohmmwv
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by ohiohmmwv » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:47 am

...another quick question. I think it was originally a grounding point for old hvac. But does new hvac use it as well? Hole was in the armor to accommodate it but wasn’t sure.
BCB4E568-DCA6-45A5-989C-532CBC1E3CB6.jpeg

ohiohmmwv
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by ohiohmmwv » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:44 am

Can anyone verify if the reinforcement bar is directly against the A-pillar ridge when fully installed? It appears that way when I have everything together but hard to tell with the armor in the way. I’m about to drill holes in the body in the A pillar. Would be so easy to do if I can remove the inner armor and just use the reinforcement bar as my guide.
01759DD1-62B1-44FB-922E-67DC08CDFC48.jpeg

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:15 pm

The small hole in the inner fender well is for the retain rod that holds the tunnel side insulation. Need to drill it out a bit or the screw will snap off before it is seated.

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 86humv » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:39 pm

The A pillar bar should have 4 threaded holes for X door hinges...use those as the guide.
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:57 pm

86humv wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:39 pm
The A pillar bar should have 4 threaded holes for X door hinges...use those as the guide.
It has cutouts to fit over the nutserts already in the body. The b-pillar spacers have the threaded holes.

Jason

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:45 pm

In this pic, it looks like the 3 holes about half way up are right next to the door jamb. While the holes higher up are further away from the jamb.

in this one, they look the same distance from the jamb...

Jason

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 86humv » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:10 pm

86humv wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:39 pm
Yes....the A pillar cast inner bracket does not have the 4 holes...only the B pillar bars.
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”