Hmmwv starter wire to alternator question

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Hmmwv starter wire to alternator question

Post by Lazboytt » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:44 pm

Hello wondering if anyone knows if there is a Fuse-able link between the starter and alternator.
I have power at starter and half way up the wire on the motor to the alternator but no power to the alternator. Wondering if there is a fuse able link in the wire loom before I cut it up to look for it

Basically I went to start it up and realized I didn’t wait for glow plug light to finish so I let the key go, next I had no power at all when turning the key. Not sure if someone could have spliced the wire somewhere or a fuse able link went bad.

I did change the intake housing and the wire runs behind it so I could have either damaged the fuseable link or perhaps the wire.

Any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Hmmwv starter wire to alternator question

Post by Action » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:13 pm

power comes from the alternator, not to it.
Maybe you could add vehicle specifics in your signature line. There are multiple alternators on these.
Have you tried using the troubleshooting flowcharts in the manuals?

Jason

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Lazboytt » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:19 pm

1993 6.5 na with 200 amp alternator

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Lazboytt » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:36 am

So the schematic is incorrect. The wire goes from the alternator to the glow plugs start box. Looks like I have a short wire that’s right at the plug that goes into the box.

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:07 am

In vehicles with the 60 amp alternators there is an 8 gauge wire (5A) that runs from the alternator output stud to the control box and then to the starter. Because of the higher current output from the larger alternators that line runs directly to the starter stud and then to the batteries. When you do the 200 amp conversion one of the first things you do is to install that larger cable between the alternator and the starter. If your truck was retrofitted with the 200 amp alternator and the conversion was done half-assed whomever did it may not have removed the wire to the control box it could still be there but if it is you need to remove it. The original purpose for that was so that if the batteries were installed backwards the PCB would prevent power from turning on and damaging the rest of the electrical system but running the full 200 amps thru the control box would have meant another redesign and significantly larger connectors.

My suggestion would be to disconnect the batteries and remove the wire from the alternator output and the starter and see if it hasn't opened up somewhere.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Lazboytt » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:16 am

That makes complete sense now what you just said but now I guess my question is if my alternator is a 200 amp. I thought it was because it’s a larger looking one but I could be incorrect also. Can you tell from the pictures if this is the 200 amp alternator? I know Someone to change the motor in it because it has a 1998 motor when my hmmwv is a 1993 ImageImageImage

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 86humv » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:41 am

Looks like a 100 amp alt., as its a smaller diameter but hooks up the same as a 200.
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

Lazboytt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Lazboytt » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:45 pm

So I should disconnect the positive from the control box and just run the positive from the starter to the alternator? Is there anything that will need to be re hooked to the positive for the control box or it just stays disconnected?

Thank you everyone

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”