Camo Pattern

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Camo Pattern

Post by Action » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:02 pm

I should be putting the camo on before summer gets here.
Do you folks think it looks better with sharp lines or slightly fuzzy lines?
What was original?
And, I will definitely avoid having the pattern outlines that can still be seen when finished. That is tacky.

How about 686 tan instead of the 383 green, with the dark brown and black? I may do that on a printed pattern page and see how it looks.

Some useless info per the camo TM
green = 44%
black = 41%
brown = 15%

Jason

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Camo Pattern

Post by Kurt Lesser » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Jason, get a digital projector and the most current camo pattern TM and project the pattern on the side of your truck. No chalk marks!
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

ohiohmmwv
G-Major
G-Major

Post by ohiohmmwv » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:04 am

Kurt Lesser wrote:Jason, get a digital projector and the most current camo pattern TM and project the pattern on the side of your truck. No chalk marks!
That’s a great idea.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:41 am

I thought of that an d almost had the transparencies made years ago. Then I realized I would be standing in front of the projection while using the spray gun. Project at an angle and distort the image. I know I could distort myself to still see the pattern. My idea with that was to just project the image and trace it with the chalk
I had copied the pattern from a soft top onto my hardtop, with chalk. It disappears in the rain, so I am not worried about leftover chalk.

Jason

Augi
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Augi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:18 am

I used a pencil when I did my doors. It didn't show thru.

SinDiesel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by SinDiesel » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:47 pm

Projected transparencies? Doesn't the original pattern per TM have tolerances somewhere around +/- 2" for where the colors are and are just sprayed on (no tape or anything else to leave a fine edge). I think it would be easier just to use a good blown up color photo as a visual comparison to use while spraying and just free hand with the spray gun. It couldn't be that hard to maintain the tolerances of the original TM and like most MV's doesn't need to be perfect. I've always noticed overspray is a plus when restoring MV's, as it looks original and definitely leaves a flatter appearance an texture.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Has anyone else paid attention to detail on the different patterns between slantback and base HMMWV? For example, The brown spot on the bottom of the slantback's LH cowl panels is about 6" higher at the wheelwell than the softtop pattern. I have no idea why. This is per the camo painting TM.
I got a nice coat of 383 green on on the 4th. Pops and me took turns paining vs going inside from being so hot. I love that rough texture. He said I should leave it green, but I WILL be applying the brown and black within a week. I forgot to spray the fording exhaust, so I will get that tomorrow as well as some touch ups. We will have to see how the CARC is 3 days after opening the can. I did overfill a quart can and put the lid on. I will see if that stays liquid for a while...
Do the intake tube and exhaust get camo or just stay green? What about the troop seats? I will have brown and black on the light bar top and front.
SDS states full cure in a week, so I will likely wait close to that before drawing on it with the chalk. I will practice my camo skills on a piece of plywood.
I had the can shaken at Sherwinn Williams for 15 minutes. There machine was getting hot. lol.
I still have to prep the brushguard, bumpers, and wheels for the black.

Jason

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:14 pm

I tried to spray some brown near a chalk line. It didn't look too nice. I am now taping the camo pattern! :shock:
Cutting the blue tape into thin strips makes it easier to go around the curves. Let's see how this goes!
I did the back half of the fording intake brown to match that corner of the cab, as well as 1/2 of the cap. The exhaust will stay green.
I am having lots of muscle spasms in my fingers.

Jason

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Depending on what sort of spray gun or system you are using, you might vary pressure and or change the spray tip to get the desired effect.
George D. Paxinos

M998's
M1044
M1123A2

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Im using hvlp with the tip size suggested on data sheet that came with carc. When i did the green, i left the pattern round. It turned out really nice, but i dont know how thick it is.
I only have the roof and bed left to tape so i may as well finish. Strong thunderstorms just hit so i ran in. I may lose the portable carport. It is strapped to the house and rear bumper.

Jason

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:22 am

Sounds like Mother Nature is not happy with your color choices!
George D. Paxinos

M998's
M1044
M1123A2

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:24 pm

dilvoy wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:22 am
Sounds like Mother Nature is not happy with your color choices!
aint that the truth. I was out there all day and finished the taping. And started wiping the chalk off with wax and grease remover. The heat index down here was 108 today!

Jason

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”