12 bolt wheels

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

wooody1
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

12 bolt wheels

Post by wooody1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:59 am

I have 2 types or versions of the 12 bolt on the truck, just after some advice on the O ring types.

Have 3 wheels with the alignment hole appears to be the 2nd gen 12 bolt, have also another 2 wheels with 3 x very small oval rebates in the outer rim face only, does not go through to the inner face, oval rebates are evenly spaced around the wheel.

Questions:

Do these 2 types of 12 bolts which look the same apart from the items above, can they carry the same load and do they use the same black 0 ring?

Are the wheels with the oval rebates the first 12 bolts they made?

Would it be prudent to ditch the older style rims and install all the same 2nd gen 12 bolt wheels or not that important, concerned about having different capacity wheels on the truck?

Also after the correct part number for the fat orange O ring for the 24 bolt offset wheel?

Thank you in advance

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: 12 bolt wheels

Post by Action » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:44 pm

I get rebates from stores and product manufacturers. What are rebates on wheels?

Jason

Ted Gates
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Ted Gates » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:20 am

Weight ratings are stamped in rim face. 1st gen 12 bolt are 3450 and no hole and 2 gen 12 bolt are 3850 with hole. IIRC,,,

Dont know about the rebates? Indents either!

wooody1
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by wooody1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:11 am

Will post some pics later, maybe nobody notice before under the 20 layers of CARC paint.

Thanks for your assistance

Augi
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Augi » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:06 pm

When he says "rebates" he means the three dimples that are in the rim face.

You must not mis-match the rim halves. As stated above the earlier rims are lighter load rating and you can see that the metal of the front face is thinner. These have the rebates. The later rims have the 13th hole in the front face and in the other half of the rim.

The early rims use a black o-ring that is a thicker cross section and the late rims use a red o-ring that is a thinner cross section.

If you aren't carrying armor then I wouldn't worry about mis-matching the types of 12-bolt rim on the truck. You'll just have to worry about having 2 kinds of o-rings around if you need to change a tire. If you are carrying armor then I'd suggest 24 bolt rims.

Augi

wooody1
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by wooody1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:05 am

Thanks for the info yes you are correct in regards to the rebates, that's how it came from national guard with mixed wheels and 11 year old tires!

Anyway I prefer everything to match, I have found some A class 12 bolts 2nd gen for $45 a wheel and some A class 24 bolts even spaced or offset spacing for $50.00 per wheel, good price, another co just bumped there wheels up by another $35 per wheel to $85.00

Thanks for your help

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”