Looking to place a tablet inside the BFT display

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

jake-cutter
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: Looking to place a tablet inside the BFT display

Post by jake-cutter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:38 am

Screens seem to have dried up again. I would like to find one and play with it to see if it can be adapter to a more modern CPU. The Ipad looks like a nice fit, but I think there is a thread showing one fixed with a computer monitor and used as a backup camera setup.
HMMWV. Always looking for an APC.

Falldownjaeger
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Falldownjaeger » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:37 am

If somebody has an inop one can can do some measurements for me, I think a casting pattern can be made, I'd split it where the smooth frame meets the finned heat sink area, make the inside smaller that you can grind larger to fit whatever tablet or if we can determine what tablet works best I can possibly work around the tablet dimensions, make the cast frame a bit larger or smaller for an ideal fit, the pushbuttons around the frame will be solid cast onto the frame, then have decals printed of the black area with the text around each button. I mean, its not a Swiss watch or putting a rover on Mars, you know?

Yeah, split it at the center point, and the frame front and back and each fin have to have a 3 degree slope added to it for the pattern to fall out of the green sand, that you can leave or carefully grind it square all the way around. The 7071 has a shrink rate of about 5/32" per foot, so if the final, cold dims are critical I can add that factor into the pattern dimensions, plus up or down to fit the tablet with the closest LCD screen size. Use a shark wheel to grind it all square, aluminum primer, hit it with some Green 383, hit it with a CARC stamp. Anodized Green would need some research the last parts I had done there was a lot fee for however many I could fit in the tank, so total number made divided into the anodizing expense, the more the better. That's how I would do it.
1995 M1025A2 Orig 5SFG GMV ODA525 "Hammerhead"
1995 M1025A2 Orig 1st SFC GMV 5 Commanders In Extremis Force GMV
1984 Chenowth Interim Fast Attack Vehicle 061 'Horny Toad"

Hell On Wheels
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Hell On Wheels » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:59 am

I was thinking the same to cut the monitor housing into in half and matching to a screen/tablet size. I still think the Microsoft surface is the best fit on height and only needing a inch or so add for width. I was just the thinking of how to bond the two pieces together. I’m thinking it’s aluminum or putter material not sure. I can't weld for crap and welding aluminum is a skill I don't have.

Also I was thinking of placing a hinge on it to allow the removal of the tablet for other uses. I can probably make another test model I just need to get ahold of another screen shell at a reasonable cost.
Robert

1966 - M151A1
1986 - M998
2007 - M1102
2009 - H3T

Hell on Wheels https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_blL ... z7Ukw8gbHg

Falldownjaeger

Post by Falldownjaeger » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:56 am

Then make the pattern in two pieces that screw together from the backside would be the way to go, if going for an exact fit to that particular Tablet, then add in the shrink factor, going two piece will make casting easier, no need to make a "core" in greensand to cast in the open space in a 1pc vessel style BFT frame casting.

Falldownjaeger

Post by Falldownjaeger » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:01 am

Matter of fact, I think I can do just the lid for the BFT antenna box, the octagon shape with the round disc on top, cast solid that you can attach to a sheetmetal octagon lower box, once its in the windshield mount box, will be hard to tell its fake. Or make it an upside down vessel shape, hollow inside. I use a contour tool made from grinding down a hacksaw blade, with a flat bottom, corner radius and 3 degree slope to form the draft in the mold so the pattern slips out.

I can go by the 1/35 scale model kit one but getting dims for a real one would be helpful. Something I can do after storm season here, I'm working on an ASIP RT1523E right now, waiting on my raised metal letters to get here, dunno how much foundry is going to charge yet, based on total weight cast plus the mold from my pattern fee.

Falldownjaeger

Post by Falldownjaeger » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 pm

A BFT Antenna popped up on the Bay last nite, I will check into hollow cast aluminium copies. Because of its shapes, it will need to be made in a lid and bottom base, screwed together from the bottom, cast with a bowl-shaped "core" to save qty aluminum needed for each.

Falldownjaeger

Post by Falldownjaeger » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:20 pm

BFT is here, looks like injection molded plastic in two pieces.

Hell On Wheels
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Hell On Wheels » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:53 pm

Do you have a picture of what you are talking about?

Well I got bored and was thinking how to use my BFT (iPad) screen while not on display so I figured I would use it as my stereo (iTunes) and blue tooth to my ammo can speakers and a GPS so here is my test fit

BFT (iPad) Screen as a stereo and GPS

Blue Tooth Ammo can

I was also thinking how to charge my screen so I ordered a few USB adapters (female to female to male) to run from the iPad to USB. I drilled a few holes in the side screen power supply housing to run the USB. I didn't want a cord hanging loosely so I configured it to a female USB to unplug when not in use. I also drilled a small hole on the side for the power button and volume can be used on the iPad. You can see in the picture the small hole next to the power supply hosing. I use the plastic pencil that fits to touch the power supply or volume. Its not perfect but good enough.
Robert

1966 - M151A1
1986 - M998
2007 - M1102
2009 - H3T

FKAM
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by FKAM » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:04 pm

Hell On Wheels wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:53 pm
That is looking really good.
You have given me an alternative method to accomplish my goal of making one functional as a poor mans FBCB2.
I really like the way you have repositioned the monitor mounting point.
AoUS Retired

Hell On Wheels
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Hell On Wheels » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:22 pm

Thanks, I’m able to remount on the original platform with keyboard when I’m doing a static display as well. This location is for daily use.
Robert

1966 - M151A1
1986 - M998
2007 - M1102
2009 - H3T

ryanruck
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by ryanruck » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:11 pm

Hell On Wheels wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:53 pm
Do you have a picture of what you are talking about?

Well I got bored and was thinking how to use my BFT (iPad) screen while not on display so I figured I would use it as my stereo (iTunes) and blue tooth to my ammo can speakers and a GPS so here is my test fit

Blue Tooth Ammo can

I was also thinking how to charge my screen so I ordered a few USB adapters (female to female to male) to run from the iPad to USB. I drilled a few holes in the side screen power supply housing to run the USB. I didn't want a cord hanging loosely so I configured it to a female USB to unplug when not in use. I also drilled a small hole on the side for the power button and volume can be used on the iPad. You can see in the picture the small hole next to the power supply hosing. I use the plastic pencil that fits to touch the power supply or volume. Its not perfect but good enough.
That does look good! Nice job!

What app do you have running up on the screen there?

Falldownjaeger

Post by Falldownjaeger » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:21 pm

Yeah, that looks gosh darned good! Now to find a kaput monitor or find one I can rent to make a mold.

Hell On Wheels
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Hell On Wheels » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:54 pm

The app I'm using is "MAPS" its one of the original driving app.I can use any app that can load into my Ipad2 which is limited because of the age of the OS. I think the best app is called "MilGPS" because it can use MGRS version and so can Google Maps. Being my iPad is to old it will not load. Either-way I'm happy how I can use it listening music, navigating while driving and using it in the BFT housing gives a realistic look.
Robert

1966 - M151A1
1986 - M998
2007 - M1102
2009 - H3T

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”