My M1123 Purchase Experience GovPlanet Florida DMV

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Rales
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Re: My M1123 Purchase Experience GovPlanet Florida DMV

Post by Rales » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:51 am

Just relized an M1102 is a trailer. :lol: Still learning. Im surprised your having issues with the trailer, thought those transfered fine. Crazy. Florida trnasfered my M35A2 withiut batting an eye but they have issues with HMMWV and now trailers.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:34 am

I didnt say i had any problem switching over to florida plates. They just adjusted the number.

Jason

brokeneck613
G-Civilian

Post by brokeneck613 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:03 am

Rales wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:02 am
Hi Everyone,

I have been on this board for a while reading and gathering information. There is a great source of information available here. Most questions I have been able to find answers via a search, but wanted to share my experience and also see if anyone had any thoughts or input.

Back in March, was watching the GovPlanet Auctions and was looking at the Marine trucks with the Clear SF-97, thinking this would be the best approach for on road use.

Won my 04 M1123 late in March and then the EUC cleared in June. About 10 weeks to clear

The pickup from Gov Planet in Albany Ga and ride back home went very smooth.

My SF-97 came about a week later with a reassignment letter.

First trip to DMV resulted in learning the reassignment letter provided by Gov Planet was missing the mileage and would not be accepted. Was also given the Vin Verification form required in Florida.

Contracted GovPlanet and they quickly FedEx'ed me the formal Florida Reassignment with mileage. Also got the Vin Verification completed and notarized.

Second trip to DMV returned to the same clerk as she suggested, since she had helped prior. All was well until the 6 digit vin number. The 6 digit Vin in NMVTIS matches a Porsche and a Trailer both in other states. The DMV location can not add the Vin, and called Tallahassee for them to add the vin. Tallahassee noted all HMMWV are for off road use and I would need to verify with the Regional office for on Road use. Was given the regional office number and told to contact a compliance officer to verify street legal.

Contacted Regional DMV office here in Tampa and spoke to the compliance inspector. She informed me non HMMWV are street legal and all are off road use only, regardless of the clear SF-97 and clear Reassignment letter. She requested I send over my documentation and she would review.

Few days later got a reply from the Regional Office in Tampa:

"I have received your documents, however, I still you to provide pictures of the Humvee.

Here are a few detail that I want to make clear. If this military vehicle has maintained its military design and markings, you are eligible for a title and registration. The registration allows the vehicle to be used for exhibitions, parades or public display and will receive the new former military vehicle license plate. This registration only covers the vehicle if it is maintained to represent it military design and marking accurately (S 320.086 F.S). This vehicle will receive a brand of “Former Military Vehicle”.

You can’t put in a stereo system, change the seating, engine, transmission, color or anything.

In the State of Florida this vehicle can never be made street legal." - Note this line was a bright red font in the email.

As we know there are some HMMWV's in Florida with standard plates....

Decided to try another DMV office to see if I may have a different experience. Both locations have been Rural Central Florida.

Third trip to DMV, the clerk even knew about off road HMMWV and agreed this one was ok. She started throught the proceess and again when the 6 digit vin was run the NMVTIS, it returned the same matches as a Porsche and a Trailer both in other states. The DMV location can not add the Vin, and called Tallahasse for them to add the vin. Tallahasse noted all HMMWV are for off road use and I would need to verify with the Regional office for on Road use. Was again given the regional office number and told to contact a compliance officer to verify street legal.

Found a resource someone suggested in Tallahassee that has helped with other Military vehicles. I tried to contact but was always left with a voicemail box. I left a message, but have not received a return call.

I contact Tallahassee again and ended up talking to the contacts boss, who was very polite, but informed me no HMMWV will be registered as normal vehicles and can only be done through the Retired Military Vehicle registration with restrictions to Parade, Exhibitions, and Public Display.

At this point it seems my real issue is my 6 Digit Vin in NMVTIS that has 2 other matches.

With Florida so strict now on HMMWV, not really sure how I will be able to make this truck On Road.

All contacts with DMV have been very polite and business like, as I do not want to impact any other MV owners in Florida, and I at the end of the day, would like my HMMWV on the road.

Thank you for your time

Good morning. Living in FL and looking at some auctions and would love to pick your brain. Posting here but sent you a message too.

Thank you,
Greg

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:46 am

When I moved to FL, I had an Indiana title with my name on it. I went to FL DMV with that title. The lady came out and made sure the Vin on title matched the VIN on my Humvee. They did. I got the title. I kept it electronic, though.
You can get a title from GP for $150. I don't know if that comes with your name or not. If so, it should be easy to do.
In 2020, I went back to DMV in Lee County to ask about getting an auction hmmwv. She knew about the sf97 and said to bring that in. I told her my concern is what happens if the VIN matches something else, because it is only 6 digits. She started getting frustrated and got the supervisor. The supervisor told me all vehicles have a 17 digit VIN. I told her they don't and provided pictures of factory AMG HMMWV VIN plates. She still disagreed with me.
After all that she said I would have to take an unusual VIN to a place to have it inspected. I forgot the name of the place. I called that place to ask. One guy deals with the process. He told me that he will not approve humvees to get plates.

SO, get a title in your name before you bring it to FL.

Jason

brokeneck613
G-Civilian

Post by brokeneck613 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:16 am

Thank you for the info!!

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”