Hard top roof with soft top B-pillar/roof brace?

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

NorwegianM998
G-Private
G-Private
Hard top roof with soft top B-pillar/roof brace?

Post by NorwegianM998 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi

I have a slantback setup (roof, sponsons, hatch and x-doors) and plan on deleting the turret hole in the roof as my HMMWV will be a more semi civi build. Will exchange the heavy (layers of) sheetmetal/armor with aluminium sheetmetal to save weight. Now, can the center B-pillar brace from a soft top be made to fit under the hard top roof? I understand it will involve cutting into thr structure of the hard top roof where it meets the angle of the B-pillar coming up.

The reason for this is that the M998 I am buying will probably be a soft top, I imagine the B brace will increase roll-over safety, and as mentioned: I am deleting the turret hole, don't have any of the turret parts anyway.

Is the B brace (thats probably not the correct term for that beam) sitting to high in the straight line between the top of the windshield and the sponson roof attachment points? There is probably ajustment room on the b-pillars? And on shimming the sponson roof attachments.

What do you think? Doable?

Thank you

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Hard top roof with soft top B-pillar/roof brace?

Post by dilvoy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:48 pm

I'm thinking of doing the same thing come late spring or summer. The plan is to keep the B Pillar and change the windshield frame to a Hard Top type, This is important as it securely fastens the steel top to the windshield, but I guess you could thru bolt near the access openings in the windshield frame. Not as good as the original design as the corners of the windshield frame is very strong. Anyhow, I have the soft top Humvee in question and I can measure the height of the top of the B Pillar and compare that to the underside of one of my Weapon's Carriers' tops. As you mentioned there is an interference at the top corners of the B Pillar. A slice can be removed on each side or cutting into the side structure of the top could be done. Some trimming at the outside part to allow the top side straps to fair in as nice as possible might be needed too. I'll worry about that when the time comes.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:48 pm

I had purchased a Civilian Four Man Hard Top from a 1992 Hummer years ago and it came with the B Pillar. That first year it looked just like a Humvee Soft Top B Pillar, sans the riveted on side protrusions for the door gaskets to seal against. Otherwise it looked identical except for the top outer side of the Pillar areas being sliced off a bit and a plate welded over it so it would clear the inner side reinforcement on the roof panel. It seems like it should be an easy conversion process.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

NorwegianM998
G-Private
G-Private

Post by NorwegianM998 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:52 am

Thank you Dilvoy for your input, glad to hear it seems doable.

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:52 am

The California Gold kit has a version that fits over the existing B-pillar. I had this truck once that it was installed on. I do not know if they still make them...
Attachments
CA SB16.JPG
CA SB16.JPG (115.37 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
CA SB8.JPG
CA SB8.JPG (68.67 KiB) Viewed 2529 times

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:27 pm

I made some measurements today Jo. From the top of the ribs on the trans tunnel to the top of the B Pillar on my M998, it measures 36.75 Inches. On my weapons carrier at the forward end of the turret support the under side of the roof skin is 37" high and measuring at the rear of the turret support the roof measures 36". As you can see, it is a close fit. Close enough that it might work. For me it is worth a try to test fit the top after the hard top windshield and sponsons are in place. Might just work! I do have a B Pillar from a Civilian Hummer that is made out of a steel tube to use in case I must, but I prefer to use the existing B Pillar, because I'd have to fabricate a mount for the lower area of the military pillar covers. I'm thinking at this time, I can place a pillar cover next to the existing b pillar and use that as a guide for any trimming in the upper area of each side then trim the curve on each side to clear the roof side reinforcement parts.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Bowtie70ss
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Bowtie70ss » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:40 pm

So did it work? I bought a hardtop that is basically a turret top without a hole. I know it's going to take some work. What did you do for a back wall? Thanks

avman
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by avman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:54 am

I have a gov plant b pillar that replaced with a turret support ringi. I also have the turret hole cover as well.

I don't need them and need to sell them to a good home.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”