No start/Hard start/White smoke/EESS Do and Dont's

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

sirhrmechanic
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Re: No start/Hard start/White smoke/EESS Do and Dont's

Post by sirhrmechanic » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:00 am

Have been servicing everything as part of a bigger project with my 1994 M998. Checking everything above and making sure our grounds are good. New glow plugs. Checking connections. New fuel injectors.

One thing we discovered is that our Cold Start Solenoid (in the top of the fuel pump) failed a continuity test and is not working.

About a $50 part. These do show up on eBay as a:

Stanadyne Solenoid Type 27007 24V Electrical solenoid.

Not sure this solenoid is a 100 percent solution for the hard starting. But it is one additional thing that folks can check on their HMMWV in addition to all of the great advice above. And cheaper than a new control box, so worth testing first. It can be tested and replaced relatively easily. And since it is called a 'cold start solenoid'... that seems like it could be a contributing factor.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Maddogz
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Re: No start/Hard start/White smoke/EESS Do and Dont's

Post by Maddogz » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:30 am

Ok so can't find much on my situation.
Have a 2000 M1043A2 MAK, new batteries and 2000 miles on the engine which was installed my the previous owner a few years ago as the one that was in it at auction was junk. It has the KDS smart start CR-2700. So the GP light does not come on at all. It use to though. She smokes really bad on start up but goes away after 20-30 seconds. However, around 120-130 degrees, she starts smoking really bad again. Give it a little throttle, goes away. Around 160 degrees, at idle, no smoke. Around 190 degrees, starts smoking again. With the exception of first starting it up, giving it a little "gas" gets rid of the smoke. This is like clockwork and thats what is throwing me off, smoking, no smoke, smoking, no smoke, and smoking. Connections all appear in good working order and going to order some new GPs but is it possible that the old GPs would make the KDS not work and do the smoking/no smoking thing?

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”