4 man soft top help

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

MUDSUX
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

4 man soft top help

Post by MUDSUX » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:52 am

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of converting my 2 man M998 to a 4 man soft top and need a little help. It seems the 2 side rails are not lining up correctly. Everything bolts up fine but the rails are being bent downwards as it connects to the C pillar. Is this normal? This also makes it difficult to close the middle doors as the rails are bent down and not letting to doors close completely. Just wondering if the nutsert in the C pillar is placed in the wrong spot. Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k01avveyjwkswbh/DSCN2846.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3zlvmffnmgslie/DSCN2851.JPG

nickd
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: 4 man soft top help

Post by nickd » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:25 am

Before you modify the connection at either pillar, hang the door on the hinges and adjust the hinges on the truck and the other half of the hinge on the door. I had the same problem with my hard doors.
good luck,
Nick
1986 M998 & M1102 trailer
2 M275A5 1 with 4ws

1 M274 w/106 recoilless rifle and all accessories FOR SALE with spare rear transaxle and transmission

1 M274 W/TOW removed from the inventory
1 m274 w4ws
M102 105 mm Howitzer
75mm pack Howitzer
John Deere military gator
1986 Humvee with 6.5 non turbo slant back, armored turret and gunners shield

MUDSUX
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by MUDSUX » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:40 am

Thanks Nick, I tried that. Its hard to see from the pics but there is like a one inch difference at the c pillar and I really have to pull down the rail to fit it. Maybe this is normal but it just seems wrong to me. Maybe it's slanted at the back for rain runoff?

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:10 am

The tops are basically flat to let the rain (what rain, it's California?) seep through the velcro and soak the camping gear in the back. LOL

Those side rails should be level or your going to have trouble wrapping the vinyl top around them. If nothing else, install another wellnut or rivenut in the "C" pillar.

Kurt
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

Hell On Wheels
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Hell On Wheels » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:05 pm

It could be the "C" pillar base plates could be bent forward that creates this issue. Looking at your second pic it appears to be mounted to forward. It should be at an angel like 80 degrees.

Robert

1966 - M151A1
1986 - M998
2007 - M1102
2009 - H3T

Hell on Wheels https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_blL ... z7Ukw8gbHg

MUDSUX
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by MUDSUX » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Hell On Wheels wrote:It could be the "C" pillar base plates could be bent forward that crates this issue. Looking at your second pic it appears to be mounted to forward.
The C pillar is not bolted down yet in that picture. It was pulled forward by the side rail. If I pull it back the dip is even worse.

Here you can see how far off the side rail is after the C pillar is bolted down:

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:07 pm

I just installed a new top on my m1035.....my B pillar was NOS and had no well nuts yet I lined it all up between the A and C pillar and the drilled the hole for the well nut I the C pillar....perfectly straight. But I had to still give a tug on the right side to get the screw in. Did you drill the holes in the fender or were they already there?
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:11 pm

One more thing....if you unbolt the channel and just hold it up, can it align correctly...perhaps the A-pillar hole is to low, you would not have noticed it with the short rail for the 2 door.
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

MUDSUX
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by MUDSUX » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:59 pm

TheHummerguy wrote:.......Did you drill the holes in the fender or were they already there?

They were already there. My A and B pillar already had the rivnuts installed too. The front door close with no problems. I tried connecting the siderail to the factory C pillar rivnut and the downward pull of the side rail interfered with the hard doors so it does not close properly. I tried adjusting the door hinges too but it did not help. I can't imagine a factory soft top could be off. I must be doing something wrong.

Denderwuz
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Denderwuz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:45 am

This may sound stupid but do you have them rails on the correct sides? I'm pretty sure there is a left and right rail... I'm about to do this exact same project myself so I'm interested in how it turns out.... Nice rig BTW I like the camo

MUDSUX
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by MUDSUX » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Denderwuz wrote:This may sound stupid but do you have them rails on the correct sides? I'm pretty sure there is a left and right rail... I'm about to do this exact same project myself so I'm interested in how it turns out.... Nice rig BTW I like the camo
Yes it is on correctly. I double checked. I ended up drilling a new hole and putting in some blind rivets about 1/2 inch up on each side.

natebm1123
G-Civilian

Post by natebm1123 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:48 pm

Hey late reply but did you ever figure out why you had to drill higher holes? I'm having the same exact issue and its driving me crazy. I have an 89 1038. Got my C pillar and top from MWE and all they told me was it had been sitting up for awhile and needed to warm up lol.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:39 pm

natebm1123 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:48 pm
Hey late reply but did you ever figure out why you had to drill higher holes? I'm having the same exact issue and its driving me crazy. I have an 89 1038. Got my C pillar and top from MWE and all they told me was it had been sitting up for awhile and needed to warm up lol.
The handrails do not need to warm up to be installed. They are metal. I think i always used rubber wll nuts instead of metal rivnuts. But that wouldnt change position of the screw holes.

Jason

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”