4l80e diagnostic plug apapter

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: 4l80e diagnostic plug apapter

Post by Action » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:41 pm

While you were stuck in "limp mode" 2nd gear, was the TRANS light lit near the shifter. You can pull trouble codes from the TCM with a paperclip stuck in A and E. The light will flash codes, and there is a list of codes in the TM.

Jason

ysrjunkie
G-Private
G-Private

Post by ysrjunkie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:44 am

No. The light was not on during the drive. I haven't pulled codes yet with the jumper because I use the data stream to diagnose codes and symptomatic diagnosis also. The data shows A B C circuit data that is indicative of how the valve body is working. So if solenoid 1 comes on, the A circuit will show on after pressure moves in the valve body. I am going off of memory so the A and 1 parts could be wrong terms, but a ton of isolating can be done bet dropping a whole transmission. Especially if you have a TCM control issue.

ysrjunkie
G-Private
G-Private

Post by ysrjunkie » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:17 pm

I finally got to make some progress. I ended up buying a cheap Chinese Tech2 scan tool like the factory GM tool and connected with a connector I sourced from Mouser.com https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/654-GTS06F1812P for the J2 connection. I ran the wires into the ALDL connector the way described earlier in this thread. I will enclose a picture. I ended up connecting to it simulating a connection to a 1995 GMC van 3500 with VIN F motor. Very important. My SnapOn scanner would not communicate with it until the battery cable clips were connected to it. My SnapOn Scanner does not need power because of it's own battery. But it will not communicate without the 12v connected. I hope this helps others out there. It was a big deal for me to finally get data to then realize the new transmission I just put in is poop. Here is a link to some pics. https://photos.app.goo.gl/TxhkVT3YYHYKCz5S6

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:04 pm

I looked up this old thread to get the wiring diagram to connect an OBD port to the extra plug on the TCM. I got a handful of OBD1 and OBD2 ports with lead wires from a junkyard for $2 each. I was looking at getting the plug to wire to the OBD part to make a jumper. After seeing the $70 - $80 for the plug, I am wondering if I could just solder multimeter test leads to the OBD. As few times as I would need this, I think I can just stick a lead into each of the three holes needed. I can plug the scanner into my cig socket that is already in the truck.

As for the scanner, what have you used? I see the Chinese Tech2 units for around $360. The home screen is written in Chinese. I am wondering if all the menus are, too. A real one is over $1,200. Anyone here use a Chinese version or any other type of scanner that will give the same info about the transmission?

In a previous post, there was a picture of some Snap-On jumper harnesses. Any part number for the correct one? Or info about it?

Thanks,
Jason

actionpaintball
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by actionpaintball » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:27 am

I was about to pull the $$$ for a Chinese tech2, and just got the laptop version for some GM programming I needed. I have not done 4l80e work with it yet, but it did everything else I needed. The handheld devices are kind of obsolete now the laptop software exists. Google the free Tech2win software. I use a bluetooth dongle and it works well.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:24 am

actionpaintball wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:27 am
I was about to pull the $$$ for a Chinese tech2, and just got the laptop version for some GM programming I needed. I have not done 4l80e work with it yet, but it did everything else I needed. The handheld devices are kind of obsolete now the laptop software exists. Google the free Tech2win software. I use a bluetooth dongle and it works well.
Then I will need a laptop! Or find my tablet.
I will try the loan-a-tool from autozone and see if it works. It may just be a code reader, though.
I have a code 71 I need to get figured out. Everything seems fine with a multimeter.

Jason

actionpaintball

Post by actionpaintball » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:37 pm

https://real4wd.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... ting-1.pdf

Camshaft position sensor bad? or wiring....(see page 14?)

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:04 am

You don’t need any of that to pull codes off a hmmwv, just read the blinks from the trans lamp, hasn’t failed me yet and work on these every day.
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:23 pm

Retired War Horses wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:04 am
You don’t need any of that to pull codes off a hmmwv, just read the blinks from the trans lamp, hasn’t failed me yet and work on these every day.
I know the code. It is 71. I got it with a paperclip. The trans manual has lots of things to check that would be easier with a scanner, such as checking to see that the tcm knows it is the correct gear. This can be done with a multimeter by checking three wires to see if each is hot or not, in each shifter position. Like ++-, -+-, *-+, etc. easier to look at the scanner screen when working alone.

Jason

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:29 pm

actionpaintball wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:37 pm
https://real4wd.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... ting-1.pdf

Camshaft position sensor bad? or wiring....(see page 14?)
Been thru all that. I tried 3 sensor, 1is brand new. Same thing. I cant find my borescope to look in the hole. If I do, I dont know what i am looking for.

Jason

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:54 am

Jason,
I have a military scanner that is new in box. Text me know if you want it.

fryt777
G-Civilian

Post by fryt777 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:00 am

Just came across this post. Do you still have the scanner available or know where I could get one. I have a modern SNAP-ON, but can't find an adapter for it to fit HMMWV.

I have a M1151A1 with transmission codes 73 & 87. After startup, it will shift 1st & 2nd but after a little bit it's locked in second even shifting manually. I've checked the TCM connections and externally wiring seem fine. I swear I've read the whole 148 pg TM on the 4L80E and I'm not sure what to go after from a diagnostic perspective. Vehicle is a 2006 with only 2600 miles and 160 hrs.

Usenko
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Usenko » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:34 am

Action wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:23 pm
I know the code. It is 71. I got it with a paperclip. The trans manual has lots of things to check that would be easier with a scanner, such as checking to see that the tcm knows it is the correct gear. This can be done with a multimeter by checking three wires to see if each is hot or not, in each shifter position. Like ++-, -+-, *-+, etc. easier to look at the scanner screen when working alone.

Jason
Hallo! Tell me please, Can you found the possibility to show the current data for hmmwv? It's very important for me now.
Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Ukraine and wery need help to repair hmmwv. Wrote me privat massage please, have some questions, but can't send private first.

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:38 pm

Usenko wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:34 am
Action wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:23 pm

Jason
Hallo! Tell me please, Can you found the possibility to show the current data for hmmwv? It's very important for me now.
Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Ukraine and wery need help to repair hmmwv. Wrote me privat massage please, have some questions, but can't send private first.
For transmission manual, search the internet for “hmmwv 4l80e troubleshooting”

Jason

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”