Humvee hydraulic fan clutch hose noise

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

RAS1
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
Humvee hydraulic fan clutch hose noise

Post by RAS1 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:19 am

Hi!
I have an M1165, with the ECV, running a hydraulic fan clutch with the quick disconnect fitting on the fan clutch.
The issue I am having is every once in a while, the hose to the fan clutch inside the fan shroud whacks the fan shroud, and makes a tick/knock noise. It is not a harmonic noise, it doesn't happen in a sequence, it is a random occurrence. I can watch the hose move slightly at random intervals. When the fan is engaged, the hose stops hitting.

I had to bleed the power steering system, as I did an engine swap.

I did not bleed the fan clutch line.

I changed the fan clutch assy. out, both the original clutch and replacement have the line "shudder"

I used 2 different sets of the hardware to hold clutch assy. in place , the original hardware and replacement.

It doesn't seem to be a fan clutch issue, both clutches released like they should when using compressed air to rotate to the correct spot to get to the allen screws.

Has anyone ran into the hose hitting the shroud? (It doesn't seem like a problem that could cause failure, just an annoying noise)

I was thinking about wrapping the hose with a foam line cover, but there is no room for the covering, as the covering could potentially hit the fan blade.
Thanks,
Dave

GPW43
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Humvee hydraulic fan clutch hose noise

Post by GPW43 » Mon May 10, 2021 3:45 pm

Can you post a video of it to see if we can see what is exactly happening to your hose. Doesn't seem to be related to vacuum or bleeding issue.

GP
Zareh
GPW 43
BMW R27
BMW R35

RAS1
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by RAS1 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:04 pm

I will work on video. It will be a couple of days.

Ty
Dave

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Tue May 11, 2021 7:35 am

If what you say is true, you have something installed wrong or radiator not adjusted correctly, I install a stack a week in the shop and never had the QD strike the blade. Your MUST use the correct QD and proper hose length, the A2 and up trucks use a shorter hose than say someone who adds a QD on the early hose.
But what you have going on very well is you didn’t tighten the fan clutch socket cap bolts enough, I’ve done this inadvertently 2 times now in the last year, the way I found it was to air the clutch up in the shop and spin the blade, I removed the one offending bolt, cleaned up the threads from the red locktite and reinstalled...I could visually see the bolt was not fully seated with a mirror when comparing it with the 3 neighboring bolts.
The 2nd time this happend, it was so so bad, it kept the fan locked up and wouldn’t disengage till I got it fully tightened.
The problem has been that I have been cleaning up the threads on the bolts from the old locktite.
New I use new bolts on all my jobs...
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

RAS1
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by RAS1 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:39 am

Thanks, The hose is not striking the fan blade in any way. I used the original hose and qd that came with the ecv.

The hose hits the fan shroud, more like taps into the fan shroud. If I use a wrench, and tighten the connector where it mounts through the fan shroud, and move the fitting the hose tightens up and makes contact much less. If I give the hose as much room to move as possible, the fitting positioned perpendicular to the fan clutch, then it makes contact with the shroud much more frequently (take up the slack in the line and it is less)

I would also believe bolts are an issue, however, I had the same problem with the fan clutch that was factory installed, and same problem when I used another donor fan clutch and bolt assy. I also used lock tite, same as what I removed.

thanks,
dave

RAS1
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by RAS1 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 am

One more thing, it definitely has the short hose. It was a huge pain connecting the qd. I fought with that for a while. Any good suggestions on how to install the qd hose connection? Taking it off is easy, just pops off. but the trick was going back together.

dave

milcommoguy
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by milcommoguy » Thu May 13, 2021 6:41 am

I felt it was easier to reconnect working it from below. Could me just me, CAMO

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”