Camp Plymouth 2022 Spring Showcase Themes?

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Camp Plymouth 2022 Spring Showcase Themes?

Post by John Neuenburg » Thu May 13, 2021 11:40 am

I am not the activities coordinator but as one of the pudding-stirrers I want to ask readers of this forum if anyone has proposed a MV showcase theme other than the Ford GTB one Johnny and Don announced? It's best to announce these way early so it gives people plenty of time to get something ready, like shop for parts and paint at the Fall swap meet.

At Spring meets we usually have two on Friday. Sometimes a third on Thursday but I wonder if doing one Saturday afternoon would give the Saturday visitors something interesting to look at? We need something, maybe a driving event or party on Saturday afternoon or evening is better. Anything to encourage more people to not leave early.

Will the tank guys be ready to trot out their iron steeds to an Armor Showcase? Include another halftrack reunion? It's been many years. I was thinking about two and three wheelers and maybe do it at a shady campsite. I'd want to hear from likely participants first though.

How about non-U.S. vehicles? Could include U.S. vehicles impersonating foreign military service to a bigger turnout.

Ideas? It's up to the MVCC Board to decide what to do of course.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

ndnile
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant
Re: Camp Plymouth 2022 Spring Showcase Themes?

Post by ndnile » Fri May 14, 2021 6:08 am

I would like to see something that represents the range of vehicles we have. Left to right, start with an airborne bicycle followed by an airborne scooter, mite, jeep etc, etc, finally ending with that enormous Oshkosh or the APC. There would have to be a sign up. We don't need multiples, but different years of the same rig or sliding in John's SAS jeep would be fine. This might encourage people to bring their more exotic rigs.

-Doug
Doug
Sacramento Area
1943 Willys MB
1943 GPW-125334 (Sold)
1962 M170
1959 Willys Wagon

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Tue May 25, 2021 1:06 pm

ndnile wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 6:08 am
I would like to see something that represents the range of vehicles we have. Left to right, start with an airborne bicycle followed by an airborne scooter, mite, jeep etc, etc, finally ending with that enormous Oshkosh or the APC. There would have to be a sign up. We don't need multiples, but different years of the same rig or sliding in John's SAS jeep would be fine. This might encourage people to bring their more exotic rigs.

-Doug
That's an ambitious one! Reminds me of the "Jeeps - One of Each" display I was POC for at Tower. All models and significant sub-models were invited. Having to pick one is difficult and calling around ahead of time to try to get certain rare ones to show up was time consuming. That part is not necessary when you focus on just the MVs that show up at the meet. It turned out very nice though.

The one you are talking about could be trimmed visually so there is only one WWII jeep, maybe add a Holden Ambulance. M38A1 and M38A1C and obviously a M170 ambulance. One standard MUTT, one MUTT ambulance, one recoilless rifle MUTT. One M37 weapons carrier, not the several models of that but include a contact maintenance one. Big trucks - I don't know. And every different looking vehicle in-between. I'm not going to POC it!
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

blitz67
G-Major
G-Major

Post by blitz67 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:58 pm

How about a contest with best in show and trophies or cash for the winners??? May get people motivated to bring their vehicles (Including me)? Could have best factory, motor pool, unrestored etc.

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:06 pm

blitz67 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:58 pm
How about a contest with best in show and trophies or cash for the winners??? May get people motivated to bring their vehicles (Including me)? Could have best factory, motor pool, unrestored etc.
We have typically done "People's Choice" contests in the Spring, with any attendee voting for their favorite. Not necessarily technical judging like seen at MVPA Nationals and a few big regional meets. You are talking about expanding the contest from a specific themed MV showcase in an arena for three hours to all MVs at the meet? One way to do that would be to invite all MVs to display at the fairgrounds arena for three hours one day and that is the pool of candidate vehicles. The other is to let them stay where they are in camp. All would have to carry a sign so they can be identified on a ballot. Owner would have to decide what class he/she is going for. Factory, motor pool, modified, unrestored, rat MV.

We can talk about concepts here but ultimately someone needs to propose something to the promoter, the MVCC, that being our president Chris or a coordinator he assigns.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Bryan
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Bryan » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:41 pm

From Start to Finish People Bring a Pic of the rust heap they started with and they bring the finished Vehicle, any class is welcome, the biggest gap is the winner
41 GP 14935
42 MB II6359 Slatgrill
51 CJ3A
43 Kubelwagen
53 M-170
Trailers, Bantam T-3,Converto,M-100
M-416, Ben Hur (Checker)USN MKII

blitz67
G-Major
G-Major

Post by blitz67 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:03 pm

I don't see much advertising for this event anywhere?

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:10 pm

I saw it in the MVCC monthly newsletter, on Facebook, and in the MVPA magazine. I guess that's the only places I frequent.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:42 pm

blitz67 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:03 pm
I don't see much advertising for this event anywhere?
Good point. It is time to stir up more 2022 info.

Best place now to get insider info is attend the Fall version of Camp Plymouth, September 8 through the 11th, 2021. Or show up Tuesday and leave Sunday like me!
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “MVCC”