purchase and title

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

aslanperro
G-Private
G-Private
purchase and title

Post by aslanperro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:07 am

Hello forum members

I am new to military vehicles and restoration. I have been exploring various online resources like this forum. Lots of information and data to learn and take in.

Few questions about acquiring military vehicle (like a Willys jeep) or other vintage vehicle for restoration in California:
Is it typical or fair to expect majority of them for sales have salvage branded title or may not have title at all? Is it critical to get one with clean title? Searching online there isn't much for sales have clean title unless it was restored (which rightfully so to deserve much more dollars) and/or usually from other states across the country.
I read for California it's not friendly to title and register a vehicle without previous title. How would one operate such restored vehicle on road, even just around town, no freeway? Sounds like branded title is relatively easier, at least it can be transferred?

Thank you,
Anthony

Kim Sievert
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: purchase and title

Post by Kim Sievert » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:33 pm

Welcome to the hobby !!!
Buy the best / most complete vehicle, you can afford. (less parts to buy / repair and sooner to drive)
Read California's Vehicle Code
For DMV titling in your name
Choices of license plates, Historical (with limitations but cost less) and normal daily driver.
Questions
1) Is it currently registered ? (watch out for out for delinquent registrations, your liable for back paying registration fee's and penalties on them)
2) Does it have a Non-Opt certificate ?
3) Where has it sat unlicensed, on private property (no fee's) on public property (fee's)
4) Does it have Off Road Vehicle registration ?
5) Salvage title (I do not know what hoops you need to jump through, to get a normal title)

If #3 is the situation, and the vehicle is pre-1975, and you are seeking a Historical license plate.
A) You need a bill of sale.
B) You need to fill out / sign Statement of facts (ref Cal Vehicle Code guide)
C) Proof of insurance, if you want to drive it, on the street
D) DMV fee's and pay sales tax.
E) Time to spend at DMV
After all that, DMV will send you a title. plates & stick on tags

I do not know what hoops you need to jump through, to get a daily driver registration for a Pre 1975 or a Post 1975 vehicle.

Somebody else, needs to chime in on registering post 1975 vehicles.
Somebody else, needs to chime in on Off Road Vehicle registrations to historical or daily driver type registrations.
Join the Military Vehicle Collectors Club of California.
MVCC also has a private FaceBook group.
MVCC member since 1983
MVCC Life member since around 1985
MVPA member since 1983
MVPA life member since around 1985

aslanperro
G-Private
G-Private

Post by aslanperro » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:52 am

Thank you Kim. I won't be driving daily however will be more than what Historical plate would allow. So it will still be regular plate.

I am new to classics vehicle. So wondering if any, what is downsize of getting a jeep with branded salvage title to restore. Does it affect resale value much ? or anything else ?

Anthony

Mitch Olson
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mitch Olson » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:00 am

A 'Salvaged Title' generally means one of two things.

1. The vehicle has been in a accident and has been deemed totaled by a Insurance company.
2. The cost of the repairs is more than the value of the vehicle.

Salvaged titles are common in Ca. California DMV has a complete section on 'Salvaged vehicles' on their website.

As for re-sale value of a 'Salvaged' vehicle. If all necessary repairs are made and receipts kept of the repairs to make the vehicle road worthy. Re-sale value should not be affected that much.

Mitch
'Jeepless' In Kalifornia

I am not a Complete Idiot, I am just like a jeep...some parts are missing!

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:07 pm

Some jeep owners are also "salvaged." They usually hang out on the WWII jeep technical forum.

I have not heard of the term branded title. Just title in CA or another state, or a salvage title, or no title. I don't know how DMV operates now but I think having a title is worth a lot even if the vehicle has not been registered for a long time.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Bart1015
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Bart1015 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:01 am

aslanperro wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:52 am
Thank you Kim. I won't be driving daily however will be more than what Historical plate would allow. So it will still be regular plate.

I am new to classics vehicle. So wondering if any, what is downsize of getting a jeep with branded salvage title to restore. Does it affect resale value much ? or anything else ?

Anthony
Anthony,

Regarding historical vehicles, check out California Vehicle Code section 5004 (a) and subsection (f)

In essence:

Subsection (f): "....a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities."

The keys words are "principally for the purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities". There are no regulations on where you can drive, how many miles you can drive or any other restrictions or limitations. Just make sure that you belong to a vehicle club (MVCC works) and that you are willing to "show" your vehicle to others.
1942 VEP GPW, J-2 winch, BC-659, 1919a4
1945 GPW, 1943 MBT
Sold - 1967 M151a1, 1943 MB, M416
www.ToThePointPolygraph.com

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:15 am

When you head over to the DMV you will want to take any and all paperwork you have for the vehicle with you. If your purchasing a vehicle that has never been registered before in Ca, was purchased as a "barn find", from a salvage yard, or from someone like Government Planet there are a few more things you should have with you. Go to the CHP and have them do a title search and a VIN number assignment and also verifys the vehicle was never reported stolen. This gets you into the system. Visit an inspection shop and ask them to do a brake and light check. Visit a truck weigh station and get a weighmasters certificate. If this is a barn find have the seller write you a bill of sale and make sure it has his full name and drivers license number on it. Be as accurate as you can with the description of the vehicle. Take lots of pictures.

When you go to the DMV asnwer their questions directly. Nothing sets them off like someone that looks like they're trying to pull a fast one. Be honest. If you don't have something they ask for go get it and come back. Don't try to weasel around it.

We're always glad to see new people with an interest in the vehicles and coming out to our meets gives you the opportunity to see what's out there. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Just walk up and introduce yourself. Our guys love to talk about their trucks! There's hundreds of years of MV experience out there waiting to help you with your project. There's somebody who knows what to do and where to get the parts you need.

Hope this helps.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

Kim Sievert
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Kim Sievert » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:44 pm

Take note on VIN checking
Most older MV's do not have a modern VINs, they have serial numbers.
Pessimism
When CHP runs that s/n, sometimes it may come back as,,,, stolen or $$ due.
Usually that verdict is verbal and you get no idea of what was in trouble.
Now you go to DMV, your paperwork is not processable, til you get the DMV person (OTA), to run a printable list of s/n's to descriptions.
The odds of a MV, having the same s/n, as another MV, is small
So, take a picture of your vehicle, with you.

I had a DMV registered truck and was getting collection agency letters, saying I owe money for a ticket in Oakland.
(I had never been to Oakland with that vehicle.)
It was a Incomplete ticket, no description of what got ticketed, but my name tied to that S/N popped up.

That vehicle, only has a 5 digit serial number.
I politely wrote back to the collection agency, saying that they were full of droppings, after a few of their threatening letters
I then got a notice, that my vehicle had been towed and was going to auction.
I went to the tow auction house, the nice gal, ran the serial number through the s/n vehicle data base. (CHP nor OPD would do it)
About 5 different vehicles, mobile homes and trailers, popped up on the list.
I was the only one current with registration,,,, so guess who the collection agency chased.

Turns out, it was a homeless guy trailer, that got ticketed a dozen times in a bus stop zone and then finally towed.
When a vehicle goes to auction, the city looses it chance at recovery of unpaid tickets. (the city will only get part of the auction final price)
The gal at the auction place, said here is the game.
The homeless guys park a trailer / vehicle on the street.
Never pay fines and let it get towed.
At the auction house, they buy it back for cheap, free from big $$ ticket fines.
Then repeat the process, over and over.
MVCC member since 1983
MVCC Life member since around 1985
MVPA member since 1983
MVPA life member since around 1985

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:28 pm

Anybody know if expired registration for many years causes the CA DMV to drop titles from their system? A certain number of years? Any type of registration - regular, historical, whatever.

The original poster might want to know what would happen if he buys a vehicle with a title but it hasn't been registered for 10 or 20 years. Meaning are there back registrations and penalties? I vaguely remember something about Historic plated vehicles escaping back fees for the owner. Not sure. I am not talking about Non-Op registrations.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “MVCC”