California vehicle registration & license fee

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

GRAVEDIGGER
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
California vehicle registration & license fee

Post by GRAVEDIGGER » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:47 pm

Thinking about moving to Northern California. I have a Dodge WC12 and do not
know the cost of yearly vehicle licensing and registration. Here in Oregon it is
a one time fee to license with vintage plates. Mike

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: California vehicle registration & license fee

Post by zepher11 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:55 pm

GRAVEDIGGER wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:47 pm
Thinking about moving to Northern California. I have a Dodge WC12 and do not
know the cost of yearly vehicle licensing and registration. Here in Oregon it is
a one time fee to license with vintage plates. Mike
I have a few Dodges registered in NorCal. One can get historic plates, but then only can drive to and from events. Regular plates, which I have, run about $135 per year with the new fees. Were about $90 annually last year. Make sure you put seats in it and shoot for registering it as a utility vehicle. If they register it as a pickup, no telling how high fees will go.

The DMV tried to register my WC52 as a pickup originally. The fees were going to be around $300 per year. Showed them the seats in the back and was able to get it registered as a utility vehicle.

You're not in Oregon any more... 8)
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

GRAVEDIGGER
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by GRAVEDIGGER » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:45 am

Thanks Zeph. What is the fee for historical per year or is it one time fee?

tractor12
banned

Post by tractor12 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:39 am

Per year
WC12 Wc 27 2 K38s Mz2 ambulance jeep 2 M3a4s M1a1 Chemical Mortar cart T4e1 usmc cart convertible

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:51 am

Lost me at:
"Thinking about moving to Northern California"

Good luck with that, but I understand Oregon's changed a lot for the worse over the past few years.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:42 am

Im planning my Great Escape from my home state of Kalifornia when I retire shortly.

Shame really, but it has become unlivable.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

Mitch Olson
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mitch Olson » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:43 pm

Yup, me too looking at leaving Nor-Cal. House will go up for sale this spring. Had enough, sad to say..had enough

Mitch
'Jeepless' In Kalifornia

I am not a Complete Idiot, I am just like a jeep...some parts are missing!

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:11 am

I have driven each of my three vehicles with Historic Vehicle Plates for years around the County without being stopped. Not a lot of driving however. Driving to and from displays or other events is obviously a legitimate thing, and one wonders if you tell the policeman that you are travelling to put the truck on a display at the local mall or wherever? Wherever you go is a historical display, right? How about carrying an info flyer in a plastic stand? I always have my MVCC and MVPA member cards with me and a copy of MVCC News, to demonstrate I am in the organized historic vehicle hobby and the club has events. Never had to pull them out.

I heard years ago that doing a maintenance run is an authorized activity when using HVP but I don't know for sure. I wonder how many readers here have gotten a ticket because of how they used their MV with these plates?

As I remember, HV registration eliminates the property tax portion of the registration, which is why CA fees are more expensive than many other states. I think it also eliminates the weight fees that would hurt a big-truck owner if he bought a normal registration.

I believe there is a one time fee for the HV plate, needed only if you drive on the road, so it's important to understand what the components of the overall registration fee is when choosing options in the beginning.

A little off the subject but it relates to CA and the HV registration - I read some info recently that owners of vehicles with HV registrations who have not renewed them for years can avoid penalties when applying for a non-op registration (not driven on or parked on public streets - cheap). Penalties are waived if you state the vehicle has been non-op. If the vehicle has a regular registration the waiving of penalties doesn't happen. So if true the HV registration can be an advantage if we think we will park the truck for years, for example if broken or under restoration, and we decide to not renew the registration each year. BUT the better way to do it is just register as non-op and renew yearly because it's so cheap.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:35 pm

To and from "the shop" is not an issue either.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:53 pm

Best to hide the picnic basket and frisbees.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

ndnile
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by ndnile » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:04 pm

I have a friend, I won't say who. His position is that it is a historical vehicle. Just having his rig there makes the destination an event.
Doug
Sacramento Area
1943 Willys MB
1943 GPW-125334 (Sold)
1962 M170
1959 Willys Wagon

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi all. To add to the gist of John Neuenberg's post, I agree. In NorCal, I spent 29 years in a blue uniform working patrol. Calif. DMV is about as AFU as any you have experienced elsewhere. However, alongside the road is not the best place to debate that issue. Register your vehicle as best as you can honestly describe it, and if you think you're in a wrong category be patient and take it up the chain. I've had both regular and historic plates on my vehicles and it's actually a wash for me. MOST important: Whatever you do, don't piss off the cop. He/She doesn't care what plate you have as long as it is currently registered. There is nothing demeaning in a plea of ignorance. (On a registration issue.) Once you have decided on a reg/hist plate, renewal is simple. As per whoever, wherever I'm going I'm on my way to or coming from a show. Cue music from Paint your Wagon.
Best to all, Eddie
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

Bart1015
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Bart1015 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:13 am

Ed is right, I was also a man in blue in Northern California for many years.

Yes you can accrue back fees if you do not keep up on your Historical Plate registration. I have a HP (historical plate) for my 45 GPW that has been on NON-OPP for 5 years now. I non-opped it because it is still being restored and I did not want to deal with DMV when it is done. Once the vehicle is out of the system you need to have the vin inspected ect. It was worth the $25 no-opp fees to avoid this.

Historical Plated Vehicles can be challenging for the street cop. Most of us will never get stopped driving our vehicles. But, issues will arise in a collision. The Vehicle Code states..... "a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities."

Notice the word "principally", It does not say you can't go to the grocery store or pick up the kids from school. There is no millage limit either. But, If your in a collision, make sure the Police Officer knows you built or maintain your vehicle for use in parades and local car shows ect.

I know at one point California did NOT require auto insurance on vehicles with HPs. I can't seem to find the exemption right now.

HP Vehicle Code info:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/face ... onNum=5004
1942 VEP GPW, J-2 winch, BC-659, 1919a4
1945 GPW, 1943 MBT
Sold - 1967 M151a1, 1943 MB, M416
www.ToThePointPolygraph.com

Return to “MVCC”