MVCC Moves Annual Spring Swap Meet, Show to Plymouth, CA April 16-21, 2019

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:08 pm

The Military Vehicle Collectors of California Spring Swapmeet in 2019 will be in Plymouth Ca. at the 49er RV resort.
There will be lots of info in the next few MVCC newsletters about making reservations and what to expect with the new site.
Many of the Board members have visited the new site and we think it’s a big improvement over Camp Petaluma.
There is plenty of free parking and Tent sites.
There are also Cabins and Lots of full hookup sites.
The name we have chosen for the new site is Camp Plymouth.
It is very flat and there is no charge for day use or buyers and the only charge to be a seller is the camping fee.
The Amador Valley and Nearby foothills have many backroads and trails to explore the MVCC has several members who know the area well.
The 49er RV Resort is on Highway 49 in the town of Plymouth Ca.
The MVCC Newsletter will have maps showing site layouts for tenters and RV sites. Along with dates and camping fee’s.
Stayed Tuned
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
http://www.mvccnews.net
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

chasendeer
G-Major
G-Major

Post by chasendeer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:26 am

I looked at the new site last week. What Dave said about it is spot on!!! It will be a great venue for the club. It's flat, all roads and sites in the 49er are paved with many shade trees. This will be the a great event as long as we all show up!!!

blitz67
G-Major
G-Major

Post by blitz67 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:19 am

I went up and checked it out Saturday, very nice! They have a deli with sandwiches, bagels, coffee, etc. Across the street is a grocery market, lots of shade and grass, didn't see any dirt. Best spot yet with tons of space for parking, tanks and helicopters.

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Yes great spot and some nice excursions are being planned. Get your MV finished, registered, and insured! Important for tent campers to not freak out when told there is no tent camping at 49er RV Village. The MVCC rented Amador County Fairgrounds for our tenters, right across the fence. A gate will connect to the RV park. The fairgrounds will also be our visitor parking lot, and there is an arena there for MV displays. This place hits all of our buttons. Reminder that we are featuring JEEPS inclucing Mites, MUTTS, and even CJs pre-1987. Not jeep trucks. Also featured will be Ford GTBs of all types and Chevy M6 Bomb Service trucks plus bomb trailers and related hardware.

MVCC Northern VP Dave Porter is Daddy Rabbit for this event. Wagonmaster organizing campsites and cabins is again our own Jo-Ann Lesser. Same drill as in the past, go through her to choose a site and then book with 49er ONLY when she says so. Important to be a MVCC member to get the group discount. So if you are not a current member, join! The term is anniversary based now, so everybody gets a full 12 months for their paltry $35 or $25 or three year discount.

Folks wanting to visit and walk around must park at the Visitor Parking Lot at the fairgrounds. Do not park in an empty campsite because Sgt Murphy's Law says the man in the golf cart will want to park an RV there. Let's not be a bother to the staff!
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:25 pm

When the club originally visited the 49er Resort a couple years ago as a possible replacement location for the Tower Park event we discounted it because the 49er Resort does not have any provision for tenters. This year things changed. The fairgrounds management next door are now fully comfortable with tenters so that opened this venue up for us. The RV park is well shaded and there is no dirt.

The RV Village does not allow camping in tents, transport trailers, or vehicles with canvas tops.

The Fairgrounds is for everybody else. No RVs there. There is NO shade so for people camping there you will need to bring awnings, pop-ups, or whatever shade you think you will need. The area is flat and is normally green grass in April. There are also no picnic tables that we know of right now so plan ahead. There is ample space in the fairgrounds for up to 100 campsites and space to store transport trailers used to bring in display vehicles.

Please pay attention to your Newsletter and the MVCC website for up to the minute details. All reservations will go through JoAnn as they have for years but please note at this time all contact needs to be via emails to her at MVCCcampmistress@yahoo.com. This will help her create a complete record for the event. When you email her please include your NAME, MEMBERSHIP NUMBER, PHONE NUMBER, VEHICLE TYPE, ARRIVAL DATE, NUMBER of nights you plan on attending. Priority will be given to MVCC members with non-members filling in where sites are available. The 49er Resort is a 4 night minimum and the Fairgrounds is totally open. Please note that we will notify you when your reservation deposit is due to the 49er Resort but the MVCC will be collecting all payments for Fairgrounds campers as we are collecting full payment at the time of the reservation and the MVCC will write 1 check for the total number of camp nights our members will be there. This is at their request.
Last edited by Kurt Lesser on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

timsresort
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by timsresort » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:52 pm

I want to thank the entire MVCC board and others that helped put together the new venue agreement. Well done. This site is very attractive for many reasons. The addition of the fairgrounds makes this work. The park is beautiful, it makes TP look like a dump. The weather and scenery in the Mother Lode the 3rd week of April, could not be better. I know this as having been raised in Sutter Creek, (Amador '80). The backroads for touring are numerable and scenic. The County will welcome us as group. Local attractions, Shenandoah Valley wine, Sutter Creek, Drytown and Amador City antiques a few miles away. Knight Foundry, in Sutter Creek, the last and most intact water powered foundry and machine shop, unbelievable. Argonaut and Kennedy Mine tours in Jackson, the Argonaut had shafts 5500' deep. Black Chasm cave tours in Volcano. It goes on. Anyway, I think we will have a very successful event, and thanks to all that made this happen, as our options were getting limited.
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

Greg Lalonde
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: MVCC Moves Annual Spring Swap Meet, Show to Plymouth, CA April 16-21, 2019

Post by Greg Lalonde » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:12 pm

me being a squad tent camper,camouflage netting will have to work for shade.it wouldn't be the first time.what about fire pits?will we have to bring our own?also is the fair grounds a secure place?can we leave our camp for a convoy and not have to worry about being ripped off?is it gated and fenced? things a tent camper needs to know. greg l.

Dave 56
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Dave 56 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:13 am

Hi Greg,
You will need to bring your own fire pit to the Fairgrounds. Fires are OK but not on the ground. Same story at the 49er RV park where fires are allowed but need to be in raised fire pits (supported off the ground).

The Fairgrounds is fenced and gated but not locked. Plymouth is a low crime area but normal precautions should be taken. Are you planning on setting up a display at the Fairgrounds?
42 - 45 GPW and MB jeeps
43 CCKWs
43, 44 Ford GTBs
45 M29C Weasel
45 DUKW
42,43,44 G506 Chevys
46 CJ-2A, Ford 302

Greg Lalonde
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Greg Lalonde » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:10 pm

probably not ,if im at the fair grounds.just a tent,camo netting,just the basics,but it will still be a good time. looking foward to see you every one there.but that could change.i do like showing my stuff.

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:05 pm

OOO, I wanna go! :D

Are there shower facilities at the fairgrounds for the tent campers? Water available or 120V shore power?

Will they allow me to put my Teardrop Trailer at the fairgrounds with my tent camping friends or would I need to be in the 49r park?

Thanks!
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Dave 56
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Dave 56 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi Marty SoCal,
There is a Bathroom/Shower at the Fairgrounds for the tent campers. We're also bringing in some portable toilets (porta-potties) and trash barrels to set out near the tent camping sites. You can bring your tear drop trailer and park it on a tent site at the Fairgrounds but it will have to be on a dry camping site with no power or water hookups. There are a limited number of sites at the Fairgrounds with water and power, but they are all currently reserved.

We have designated the Fairgrounds as tent camping space (because sleeping in tents or truck beds is not allowed in the RV Park). Be aware there are no picnic tables and almost no shade at the Fairgrounds, so you must bring your own tables and shade. The 49er RV park is the designated camping area for qualified RVs. Your tear drop camper qualifies as an RV, so if getting water, power, a picnic table (yes, there are picnic tables at every site in the RV Park), shade and paved roads is a higher priority than camping next to your tent camping friends, you're better off in the RV park.

Contact JoAnn at mvcccampingmistress@yahoo.com to reserve a site. Look for more information in the next MVCC newsletter.

Dave
42 - 45 GPW and MB jeeps
43 CCKWs
43, 44 Ford GTBs
45 M29C Weasel
45 DUKW
42,43,44 G506 Chevys
46 CJ-2A, Ford 302

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:17 pm

At the Amador County Fairgrounds there are both Men's and Women's bathroom facilities with sinks, toilets, and showers in the tent area. You should be aware that there is NO SHADE in the tent area nor are there picnic tables as far as we know right now, that could change so stay tuned. There is no 4 night minimum required at the fairgrounds either. There are water and electric sites in the fairgrounds but at this time they are all reserved. I'm sure people will share so it shouldn't be too big a problem.

Our process at the fairgrounds is different from what we have done in the past so pay attention please. They have asked us to make 1 payment for our campers so the MVCC will be collecting the money for people in the fairgrounds then they will write a single check to the fairgrounds. 49ers will pay thru the RV park. When you know if you are coming or not you need to send our Wagonmistress JoAnn an email with your arrival date and how many nights you plan to attend. That email goes to her at: MVCCcampmistress@yahoo.com
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Post by The Fireman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Quick question on camping at 49 RV park

Does this mean that a pickup with a camper shell is not allowed to sleep in the park, that you would have to go to the fairgrounds ?

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

Dave 56
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Dave 56 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi Frank,
A pickup truck with a camper shell is considered an RV and therefore you are allowed to rent an RV campsite in the RV park and sleep in your camper, according to Cheryl the Guest Services Supervisor at the 49er. What isn't allowed is a pickup with a canvas tarp covering. In other words, they don't want people coming up with makeshift "campers" just so they can stay in the RV Park.

It's a fine line, but she also said they will allow a tent attached to a pickup bed as long as the tent is manufactured specifically to be attached to the truck. No, you can't erect a tent in a truck bed and call it a camper tent. Also, Military Vehicles such as cargo trucks with a canvas covering are not allowed, which I assume is because it's canvas, not a metal covering, and therefore not permanent (How is that different than an attached tent? Beats me...). I tried to get her to allow cargo trucks as RVs because I know some MV owners that have converted their cargo trucks to campers, but she wouldn't budge.

So a note to others out there with Cargo Truck Campers; if you really want to rent an RV space in the RV Park and not a tent space at the Fairgrounds, send me some pictures (dnporter56@comcast.net) and I'll see what I can do to get your rig qualified as an RV. Please let me handle the inquiry - do not contact the 49er and start arguing your point. it will only end badly.

Thanks,
Dave
42 - 45 GPW and MB jeeps
43 CCKWs
43, 44 Ford GTBs
45 M29C Weasel
45 DUKW
42,43,44 G506 Chevys
46 CJ-2A, Ford 302

frenchman
G-Major
G-Major