Fall swapmeet at Camp Jellystone

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

Bryan
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Fall swapmeet at Camp Jellystone

Post by Bryan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:08 am

Anyone think about the fairgrounds at Grass Valley / Nev City? up on the hill so the altitude should cool it down, lots of trails to explore, i know it is a further drive from the bay but could be nice that time of year
41 GP 14935
42 MB II6359 Slatgrill
51 CJ3A
43 Kubelwagen
53 M-170
Trailers, Bantam T-3,Converto,M-100
M-416, Ben Hur (Checker)USN MKII

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:35 am

Hi Bryan...
I did visit the Nevada County campgrounds in Grass Valley a year ago also several years ago this campground was looked at by the board as well.
I got a map and some info and asked about the Fall dates and was told most all of September and some of October are booked for large festivals. I think one is a Celtic Festival that takes up most of September and runs into October.
It is a nice Campground lots of trees and a lake.
I think with 140 campsites with 40 full hookups sites we would need to reserve the whole place.
Some observations I made were it seemed booked a couple years out had lots of long term campers and then there is the grade for anyone driving an MV to deal with. Does this sound like the same place? Thanks for the heads up it is appreciated
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
http://www.mvccnews.net
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

Mitch Olson
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mitch Olson » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:40 am

Dave,

Sounds like the GV fair grounds all right. I live just a few miles away from there. Their last quote Summer Booking is their annual Draft Horse Classic show where the big, big horses from all over come and have pulling-hauling competitions. The Draft Horse classic happens the same week our fall meet happens.

Mitch
'Jeepless' In Kalifornia

I am not a Complete Idiot, I am just like a jeep...some parts are missing!

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:57 am

The MVCC board visited the GV Fairgrounds some time ago and the decision was made not to try to schedule and event there for several reasons. Probably the first and biggest issue was the climb up highway 49 to get there. The drive would be miserable to most of our MVs and the impact on traffic would be considerable. While we liked what we saw there in the campground the management at the time wanted us to collect all of the money and manage the event. This had a ripple down to the MVCC cleaning the bathrooms, emptying the trash, and providing all security during the time we were there. While JoAnn does a fantastic job of keeping the sites straight at our other events she is only able to do that by spending countless hours working directly with the parks. GV didn't want anything to do with that and told us so. We also don't want to have to work through the money issues of collecting deposits, collecting space fees, and having to issue refunds if necessary, so unless there's been a major policy change there with the management at the fairgrounds the additional hassles weren't worth it.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

Return to “MVCC”