WW2 MV Display at SS Jeremiah O'Brien Liberty Ship in San Francisco June 1 - D-Day 80th Anniversary Special Event

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

WW2 MV Display at SS Jeremiah O'Brien Liberty Ship in San Francisco June 1 - D-Day 80th Anniversary Special Event

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon May 20, 2024 4:17 pm

The SS Jeremiah O'Brien WW2 Liberty cargo ship in San Francisco will be the location for a Normandy D-Day 80th anniversary special event on June 1, 2024. Do you know this ship made a voyage to the UK and France for the 50th anniversary? The ship made runs to Normandy during the Real Deal.

They are requesting WW2 Allied military vehicles for display by the ship, and people with 1940s uniforms and civvy clothes. Uniforms to be class A, B, fatigues, combat (no shootable guns). Uniforms and civvy clothes not required. MV owners will get free admission, I believe living historians too. I am checking to see if food is included. This is not a cruising event.

They want to see a photo of your MV. Email to me and I will forward. If you don't have one handy, find one that looks like yours. OK to unload MVs in the Pier 35 building where the ship is now located and park tow rigs there that day. Good opportunity for family members to visit the Pier 39 restaurants and stores, Fisherman's Wharf, or the Ferry Building shops and restaurants, and not have to pay for parking!

As of this writing there are two jeeps and a halftrack on my list. Possibly a 1.5 ton Chevy. It would be good to have 7-8. Let's solidify what appears to be a growing relationship between the MV community and the only restored, unmodified, fully operational Liberty cargo ship in the world.

Use the contact feature to send me an email to say what you want to do.

Details below, note the Rosie the Riveter and Wendy the Welder costume contest. Check out the prizes!
Click on images to expand
O'Brien D-Day event June 1 2024.pub.jpg
Rosie and Wendy Contest Aboard O'Brien.jpg
In England in 1994 with many WW2 Merchant Marine and Navy Armed Guards as volunteer crew!
Obrien in England 1994.jpg
The ship's newish home - Pier 35 West - a much more visible location than Fisherman's Wharf
Pier 35W from Pier 37.jpg
obrien-at-35.jpg
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Re: WW2 MV Display at SS Jeremiah O'Brien Liberty Ship in San Francisco June 1 - D-Day 80th Anniversary Special Event

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon May 27, 2024 7:07 pm

Still room for more WW2 MVs and people in WW2 uniforms or civvy clothes. Free admission for them. Or come as John Q. Public and pay to get in. This special D-Day/Normandy themed event won't happen for quite some time.

MVers, best to let me know what you are bringing so I can forward to the organizers, but if a last minute decision, just show up. WW2 Allied equipment only.

If in costume with no MV, walk through the Pier 35 "Navy Gate" to the left of the big Pier 35 West vehicle gate. No free parking for you but there are slots across the Embarcadero and in the big garage two blocks away by Pier 39.

If bringing a WW2 Allied MV, OK to drive into the Pier 35 building, unload, and park. Arrive at 0900, be in display location by the ship at 0930. Depart after 5 pm.

No passes required if you are obviously with an MV or in a 1940s uniform or civvy clothes ("Advanced and be recognized!").
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “MVCC”