Howdy from Umatilla

Southern Oregon Military Vehicle Collectors Club Forum.

Moderator: Bulldog58

nivek
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Howdy from Umatilla

Post by nivek » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:48 pm

Howdy folks...

My son and I have a 52 M-37 WoW "Old Blue" that we rescued from the hills near Cle Elum, Washington a few months past.

Old Blue has been used hard, put away rusty.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nivek_001

As soon as we're able to schedule doing so, we'll be adding a '54 M-37 WW that a buddy in Portland area has for us.

Have some assorted Willys F hed engines in parts that may be f some use in trade..

My son, Ian, is 12, hoping to have a running, painted truck for him by time he able to drive it on streets..

Figure he can take his Sweetie TO, or THROUGH prom then..

Kevin Lamoreaux
boclonka@oregontrail.net
Cell: 541.561.7928
MVPA
MVCC-O

goldhill joe
U.S.N. Veteran ( MM/1 )
U.S.N. Veteran ( MM/1 )

Post by goldhill joe » Wed May 04, 2005 7:27 am

Howdy Kevin--greetings from SW OREGUN. Just thought I`d reply to your post to prove(?) we are all not asleep down in this corner of the state. Joe

nivek
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by nivek » Wed May 04, 2005 1:48 pm

Heya Joe!

Was wondering.. G503 dot com seems kinda quiet for a buncha *truckers*.. ;)

Glad to see others using boards!

KevinL.

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Welcome

Post by The Fireman » Wed May 04, 2005 8:40 pm

Kevin,

Welcome aboard or whatever they say in the Navy, or whatever Joe said. That is a great idea to do a family project together, it will be worth it.

My daughter and I have done several projects together over the years and they all have good memories for both of us.

Have fun, enjoy and when and if you get frustrated, just walk away, and tackle the issue in another way. Somehow this works well most of the time.

Good luck with your project, an M -37 is a good vehicle to play with and restore.

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

nivek
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by nivek » Sun May 08, 2005 4:11 pm

Howdy back Frank!

This WAS going to be a weekend of making Old Blue's top sheetmetal go away, well, at least to backyard where City compliance/Junk Officer can't carp about the mess.. :)

Rain.. Guess Gov. K got permission to have some extra floated over Cascades and dropped.

M-37 sure has been a kick tearing down, finding parts for, and hopefully teaching Ian what words aren't acceptable in the Ladies Sewing Circle..

Thanks for welcome, look forward to seeing more posters wander in.

Kevin L.

Mac
USN - M37 - Rubiconer

Post by Mac » Sun May 08, 2005 5:26 pm

Kevin, It is great to get the Family into Jeep stuff, my Granddaughter has a 91 Wrangler and my Son has helped her by making her get dirty and do the wrench turning------- :D :D

42 MB #374967
27 trips over the Rubicon

37 MM AT CANNON (It is now complete)SOLD
Gatling Gun is next (pre Jeep era)IN USE BY CAVALRY
SOMVCC

MVCC
MVPA #25442
USS TAWASA ATF 92
MUDHILL MAC

Mac
USN - M37 - Rubiconer

Post by Mac » Sun May 08, 2005 5:30 pm

One more Kevin---------

42 MB #374967
27 trips over the Rubicon

37 MM AT CANNON (It is now complete)SOLD
Gatling Gun is next (pre Jeep era)IN USE BY CAVALRY
SOMVCC

MVCC
MVPA #25442
USS TAWASA ATF 92
MUDHILL MAC

nivek
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by nivek » Thu May 12, 2005 7:34 am

Mac,

Tell your young lady that I darned near blew a whole cuppa coffee over the keyboard... after I gulped it down, and darn near laughed it up again with Pic #2!

Fantastic she has Grandad and Dad who want her to enjoy the working ends of keeping a sled running.

Pleases me to no end to see "kids" getting involved in keeping older Iron running.. After all, when we retard, err retire, and eventualy have to pass our rides on, hope that there are youngin's like she to take care of what we've built.

My son Ian is slowly getting up to speed on wrenching. We spent some time this past weekend cutting extra iron off Old Blue, teaching him how to safely use the "blue wrench". He had a blast.. :)
http://community.webshots.com/user/nivek_001 In "Second M37" folder..

Gents, in the Webshots folders, there are some pictures of some assorted Willy's engine and transmission/transfercase parts. I don't do Willy's/Jeep, these parts are obtanium, found out scrounging up M37 stuff.

Someone needs them, I'll cut them a hellova deal as She Who Pays The bills wants them off *her* driveway..

KevinL.
Umatilla

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Stuff

Post by The Fireman » Thu May 12, 2005 8:03 am

Kevin,

It appears that things are looking up with the project. If you need any M-37 parts or Dodge parts you might wish to contact Dave Cirillo, who lives in Medford, his phone number is (541) 772-8992, you may have to leave a message, his email is jobrated@wave.net . Dave is an honest straight shooting guy and he has also been my friend for a very long time.

In query, of the Willy's stuff, are either of the flathead engines marked on the oval pad on the block under where the oil flter mounted have either MB or GPW prefix with a number ?? If so , I maybe interested in them or any thing that is six volt related and stuff that goes with it. I am in the process of working on a couple of 43 jeeps and am always looking for stuff for them and other whateve other projects may appear.

Thanks,

Frank

ps: nice looking cornbinder(IH) fire engine =0).
The Fireman
NRG

nivek
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by nivek » Thu May 12, 2005 10:38 pm

Frank,

I am most easily reached at 541.561.7928, my business cell during days.
If you have time and care to walk me through where the numbers are at on the blocks I can give you a better assessment of them.

What I have is a pair of cores, engines I have zero idea what is in them, other than *parts*... No obvious block breakages on outside, and no cracks in heads or manifolds that I can see.

Had to take them with some M37 parts i wanted, the cat who had these engines, trans/transfercase gear..

The IHC belongs to a friend, is parked in Hermistion area, is up for sale.
If anyone collects or would like a rust/rot/cancer-free USA Class 500 fire ride, this one is going out.
Running IHC Green Diamond 6 gas, I've heard run within last year. Tires shot, paint faded to te OD underneath, and the slightest of body damage done to pass side fender, noted in pics.
Sure tank is rusted to leaking as it'll be plain steel in such an older firesled..
Glass and interior complete. Seat covering rough, but springage intact.

Feel free to pass on the Webshots URL to anyone who may be interested in the IHC.. It needs a home with someone who will bring her back to mil_spec_quality..

KevinL.

nivek
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by nivek » Tue May 17, 2005 2:14 pm

Frank,

I have the "Japan Ordnance Command" MB block on the engine stand tearing it apart.

Looks like it may have burned the #1 exhaust valve.
Rest of engine including head looks good, save for being left out in open.
will have head cleaned and magafluzed for cracks ASAP.

Going to try and drop pistons, con rods and caps this evening if I can get them to move in bores. There is *no* ridge on bores, and bores save for surface crapola are clean. Pistons stuck from time sitting I believe..

Block if usable *will* need surfacing, or will be sold with understanding it is *not yet ready* "as is".

Have a carb off this engine I need to ID.
Starter (marked GPW), waterpump and pully, oil pump, distributor, oil filter can and brackets, flywheel, bellhousing, oilpan w/skidplate, assorted engine parts. Also have a good radiator and cap that is clean and holds water under 20 psi.

Sitting next on disassembly block is what looks like an M38-CJ era 4 banger. Similar in looks to known MB engine but a touch more modern.

Again my ignorance of numeration will have me asking "what is this?"..

KevinL.
Umatilla
541.561.7928 cell

Return to “SOMVCC”