OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD

Southern Oregon Military Vehicle Collectors Club Forum.

Moderator: Bulldog58

Mac
USN - M37 - Rubiconer

OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD

Post by Mac » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:42 pm

The wonderful Wizard of Oz.-------------If anyone out there is interested, The Pill and Mac are heading out to Kansas to watch Dan do Cavalry Compitition at Fort Riley Kansas. If anyone is interested I`ll post some pictures when we get back !!-------------Got that ??-------------Mac
42 MB #374967
27 trips over the Rubicon

37 MM AT CANNON (It is now complete)SOLD
Gatling Gun is next (pre Jeep era)IN USE BY CAVALRY
SOMVCC

MVCC
MVPA #25442
USS TAWASA ATF 92
MUDHILL MAC

goldhill joe
U.S.N. Veteran ( MM/1 )
U.S.N. Veteran ( MM/1 )

Post by goldhill joe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:48 am

Lookin forward to those pictures. They will be a welcome change to all this "local dead air time."---Joe
DESTROY AMERICA-JOIN AN ENVIRONMENTAL GROUP.............
MVPA 16227-former
SOMVCC-FORMER member
NRG

Mac
USN - M37 - Rubiconer

Post by Mac » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:39 pm

OK Joe, you asked for it !! I sure hope this will wake a few guys up and post a few comments.

This is a Chap from Down Under.

Pistol Shoot

Standing for Inspection
42 MB #374967

SOMVCC

MVCC
MVPA #25442
USS TAWASA ATF 92
MUDHILL MAC

Mac
USN - M37 - Rubiconer

Post by Mac » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:15 pm

I know these picture ain`t got nothing to do with Military Vehicles, but this is still Military Cavalry Stuff.--------------------Mac
42 MB #374967

SOMVCC

MVCC
MVPA #25442
USS TAWASA ATF 92
MUDHILL MAC

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

US Cav

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:22 am

I attended as well. Pair of my halftracks were displayed at the director's cup arena on Saturday. Just curious but would you know a P "Gibby" Gibbons. I met him there?
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

goldhill joe
U.S.N. Veteran ( MM/1 )
U.S.N. Veteran ( MM/1 )

Re: US Cav

Post by goldhill joe » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:34 am

halftrackm2a1 wrote:I attended as well. Pair of my halftracks were displayed at the director's cup arena on Saturday. Just curious but would you know a P "Gibby" Gibbons. I met him there?
halftrack---No doubt Mac knows just about everyone AND some he won`t admit to knowing
Thanks :D for the pix Mac--how bout some more. Your son looks rather dashing. How come THE PILL isn`t all "duded up "on a mighty steed?
Glad you made it back safely-----Joe
DESTROY AMERICA-JOIN AN ENVIRONMENTAL GROUP.............
MVPA 16227-former
SOMVCC-FORMER member
NRG

Mac
USN - M37 - Rubiconer

Post by Mac » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:50 am

Yes Halftrack, I saw your two Halftracks and also both on the truck ready to head out. I spent some time eyeballing the 37 MM Cannon. No I don`t know Gibby, but I was there Wed thru Sat and did meet a lot of fine people.-------------Good to hear someone else on this here board, gets kinda lonesome here at times.--------------Mac
42 MB #374967

SOMVCC

MVCC
MVPA #25442
USS TAWASA ATF 92
MUDHILL MAC

Mac
USN - M37 - Rubiconer

Post by Mac » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:24 pm

WELL WELL, The cavalry post has picked up a reply from Kansas, this will help, now we won`t only hear from Crescent City, Merlin, Goldhill and Oakridge. -------------------Here is the rest of the story, written by The Pill (Yvonne) as best She could remember.--------------Mac

WELL HELLO AGAIN ALL YOU `KIDDIES`----WE JUST RETURNED HOME FROM KANSAS----AND WE DID HAVE A SWELL TIME ! THE WEATHER COULD HAVE BEEN A BIT SWEETER, AS IT WAS VERY MUGGY AND HOT. WE ENJOYED WATCHING 50 HORSES AND RIDERS, CIVIL WAR ERA. EACH AND EVERY MAN AND HORSE WAS EXCILLERATING----THE RIDERS WERE SPIFFY AND TOTALLY MILITARY LOOKING AND THE HORSES WERE ELEGANT AND PROUD. THESE `COMPETITION GAMES` CONSISTED OF 3 LEVELS----THE 3RD BEING THE HIGHEST, THEN 2 AND 1. THERE WERE HURDLES TO JUMP, TOPPER (horse) DID EXCELLANT, THERE WERE PISTOL AND SABRE EVENTS, THINGS THE HORSES HAD TO DO LIKE STAND AND STAY IN A 10X10 FOOT SQUARE `BOX`, WHILE THE RIDER GETS OFF, KNEELS AND PICKS UP A RIFLE, LOADS IT AND SHOOTS. THE HORSE IS TO STAY PUT. SOME DID SOME BECAME STARTLED TO THE POINT OF STEPPING OUT OF THE `BOX`. PENALTIES THEN OCCUR. THERE WERE BALOONS FILLED WITH SOME KIND OF EXPLOSIVE LIQUID, THEY WERE ALSO FILLED WITH AIR AND TIED TO 4 FOOT TALL POSTS, AND THE RIDER (ON HIS HORSE) WOULD AIM AND SHOOT THESE BALOONS AT A DEAD RUN----THEY WOULD EXPLODE WITH A FLAME OF FIRE. THE HORSES PERFORMED GREAT. THIS AND MUCH MORE WAS WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY AND FRIDAY ALL DAY----THEN SATURDAY THERE WERE THE HIGHEST GRADED `HAND-PICKED` RIDERS WITH THEIR HORSES TO PERFORM DIFFERENT STRATEGIES---ALL MILITARY CAVALRY. IT WAS ALL EXCITING AND NEARLY EVERY MINUTE WAS FILLED WITH WONDERFUL HORSES, I THINK THE MOST BEING QUARTER HORSES AND THEN A NUMBER OF THEM BEING THOROUGHBRED HORSES.
THEY CAME FROM ALL PARTS OF THE U.S. AND ONE FELLA FROM AUSTRALIA, WHO BY THE WAY WAS A SUPERB HORSEMAN ! HE HAD TO BE, OR THE HORSE HE WAS GIVEN TO RIDE WOULD HAVE EATEN HIM UP ! BUT HE WAS UP TO THE CHALLENGE AND I THINK WOULDN`T HAVE HAD IT ANY OTHER WAY ! THE HORSE WAS A THOROUGHBRED AND WAS SAID IN HORSEMAN TERMS `HOT`, WHICH MEANS WANTING TO RUN AS FAST AS THEY CAN. SAGE IS ONLY 6 YEARS OLD AND MARK (THE AUSSIE) SAID GIVE ANOTHER 2 YEARS AND MUCH WISDOM AND MATURITY CAN TAKE OVER. DURING ONE OF THE HURDLE EVENTS, SAGE WAS ACTING UP AND WANTING TO RACE, AND BACKED UP ABOUT 5 FEET INTO THE WOOD RAIL FENCE, BUSTING SEVERAL OF THE RAILS. BUT MARK GOT SAGE UNDER CONTROL AND WENT ON TO FINISH THE COURSE. LOTS OF COLOR ! HA THE PICTURES YOU GET SHOW MARK AND SAGE TOGETHER---IS A CLOSE UP, THO NO FEET. (WE WERE TOLD THE FORMER OWNERS WERE THINKING OF PUTTING SAGE `DOWN`, BECAUSE OF HIS/HER (mare or gelding, didnt pay attention) UNRULYNESS AND HIGH SPIRIT. ALL OF THE DAYS AND EVENTS WERE HELD IN FORT RILEY, AN HONEST TO GOODNESS OLD AND WELL TAKEN CARE OF MILITARY CAVALRY ARMY BASE, I`M THINKIN` 1836. HUGE. STILL AN ACTIVE FORT, NOW MOSTLY MECHANIZED ARMY VEHICALS, BUT STILL SOME HORSES WITH THE INITIIALS U..S. ON THEIR FRONT THIGH, IF A HORSE HAS A THIGH. HA THE DINNER TIME THAT EVENING WAS AWARDS NIGHT----DAN WAS PLEASED TO HAVE BEEN AWARDED SEVERAL RIBBONS FOR HIS AND TOPPERS PERFORMANCE, AND ALSO ACKNOWLEDGED FOR OTHER FEATS. DAN IS A VERY FINE HORSEMAN WITH MUCH EXPERTIZE WITH TOPPER, WHO BY THE WAY IS A TOTALLY OUTSTANDING HORSE. I LOVE HORSES ! NOW THEN, AFTER THE DINNER AT 10, WE DROVE OUR CAR RENTAL 145 MILES TO THE AIRPORT IN KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI, GOT TO THE MOTEL AND HIT THE SACK AT 1 AM, LEFT THERE AT 4:30 AM FOR THE AIRPORT, GOT ON THE PLANE AT 6, FLEW FROM THERE TO DENVER, COLORADO, CHANGED PLANES AND HEADED FOR S.F. CALIF. CHANGED PLANES AND HEADED FOR C.C. !!!! WHAT A DAY THAT WAS. SOOOOOO SLEEPY ! THATS CLOSE TO ALL, I HAD TO LEAVE SOME THINGS OUT, DARN, BUT I`M SEEING DOUBLE. HEH MAYBE NEXT YEAR THIS HUGE EVENT WILL BE IN COLORADO SPRINGS OR SOMEWHERE IN WYOMING----WE`LL SEE. ISNT THIS A INFORMATIVE NEWSLETTER? ;^) (the pictures aren`t the best, but its what we took.) LOVE, the elderess McCLUSKEY (the Pill) 9:04 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
42 MB #374967

SOMVCC

MVCC
MVPA #25442
USS TAWASA ATF 92
MUDHILL MAC

Mac
USN - M37 - Rubiconer

Post by Mac » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:00 pm

OK Joe, you asked for it, so here are some more pictures.
50 Troopers
Buglar
Full DressImage
Full dress mounted
42 MB #374967

SOMVCC

MVCC
MVPA #25442
USS TAWASA ATF 92
MUDHILL MAC

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Sheesh

Post by The Fireman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:43 pm

Yo Mac,

Is all you took is just "Yankee" pictures ? What about the Sons of the Confederacy ???? You telling me that it was just a show about Yankees ???? What is up with that ????

Glad you guys had a good time, even if it was one sided,

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

Mac
USN - M37 - Rubiconer

Post by Mac » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:01 pm

Gee Frank, I would have taken their picture if the US CAVAlRY would have allowed the CONFEDERACY onto FORT RILEY !!--------------Got that ??------------------Mac
42 MB #374967

SOMVCC

MVCC
MVPA #25442
USS TAWASA ATF 92
MUDHILL MAC

Mac
USN - M37 - Rubiconer

Post by Mac » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:47 pm

Frank, here is another reason the Confederates didn`t show !!

That is a XM8
42 MB #374967

SOMVCC

MVCC
MVPA #25442
USS TAWASA ATF 92
MUDHILL MAC

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

They was there

Post by The Fireman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:08 pm

Yo Mac,

They was there, but them Yankee's couldn't see or find them.

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

Mac
USN - M37 - Rubiconer

Post by Mac » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:15 am

OK Guys TP is over, now tell us no shows all about it !!---------------Mac
42 MB #374967

SOMVCC

MVCC
MVPA #25442
USS TAWASA ATF 92
MUDHILL MAC

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Rebels? We don't need no stinking Rebels!

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:54 pm

Hey Fireman,

Maybe the Rebels didn't show up because we licked them once a while back. Messin' with the Union boys just ain't where it's at. Besides, they're probably all under the weather drinkin' that Southern Comfort. If they'd gotten production up a little earlier in the 1860's who knows what could have happened? Kinda like Hitlers secret weapons, too little and too late!
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

Return to “SOMVCC”