3/4T fuel tank into civy PW?

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

3/4T fuel tank into civy PW?

Post by USAFpj » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:07 am

Gents- for those that own both, will the WC 3/4T fuel tank fit into the 52 Power Wagon by simply moving the tank straps? Does it interfere with the rear axle? I see that the opening would now be on the driver side.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: 3/4T fuel tank into civy PW?

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:15 am

I do have both; the tanks are a completely different shape; and the filler tube is on the driver's side on the WC; could you alter the straps and make it fit? I think so. There is room for it; the frame and axle is the same. But you have no filler neck hole in your body. PW tanks are much deeper and narrower. WC tanks are flatter and wider. Not a matter of moving the straps; you will need WC straps. Disclaimer; I have not actually tried this. So don't blame me if it don't work.
Vintage Power Wagons sells new stainless steel tanks for the PW.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:00 am

Thanks! I have both as well, and wonder if the larger tank is really worth the change. I like originality, so maybe I'll keep it as it came from the factory. BTW, do you need the (6) wood slats that make up the seating on the early WC bed? I have an extra set, as I need the wood for the later series bed.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:56 pm

No I built mine this summer; a WC63, so they were ten foot boards! And mine is the late wood bed, so no seat boards anyway. Troops sit directly on the bed/wood.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”