looking for info on m-43 sales, prices

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
12pack
G-Civilian

looking for info on m-43 sales, prices

Post by 12pack » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:51 am

Had another cancer surgery and and the doctors told me to get my affairs in order,

Soo,I used to be a member here years ago but cant find username etc.,.
Probably be listing my 52 M-43 soon and did a search to see what the going rate is these days but cannot find any info, maybe not using correctly
Needs work, it was bought from WPW by my buddy 30 years ago and i bought from him 25 years ago or so

Just gotta start doing my homework.
any help appreciated, dont want my kids throwing all my good stuff out :D

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: looking for info on m-43 sales, prices

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:13 pm

I am sorry to hear about your health.
I can't tell you how much your truck is worth. Best to take pictures, and auction it.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

johnseidts
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: looking for info on m-43 sales, prices

Post by johnseidts » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:56 am

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. As a former Paramedic and ambulance driver, the M-43 is one of the smoothest rides in a military vehicle, and pretty decent for an ambulance. I am a fan of the M43, and maintain an M-37 for the local Marine Corps League. That said, I feel that ambulances are a hard sell for a number of reasons (although they make great MV event campers and haulers). I have seen M43's in various price ranges, but feel the essential information to determine value of any of them is the following:
1. Running or not running?
2. If not running, what is needed to get it running?
3. External body condition; first, the condition of the roof on the truck; second, lower skirts of rear body; third, front fenders and other sheet metal. How bad is the rot, or how well were repairs done?
4. Brake condition or serviceability
5. Tires condition or serviceability

For number one and two, if the truck is not running, that is going to heavily impact value. If it is easy to get back running with a simple parts change, that will substantially and positively effect the value. Number 3 speaks for itself- if it needs a massive amount of body work, it is going to be a hard sell. Brakes are important because it is a heavy truck and moving it with just a trailer and small winch (like most people do) is going to present difficulties if you cannot easily stop the truck. For the tires, they are expensive to source. The last ones I bought were $350.00 each including tubes and flaps.

Price range? If everything is wrong and not working, but it is complete, you are looking at $1500 to $3500 as a project. If it is running, add $1000 to that value. If it has an exceptionally good and complete body, add another $1000 to that value. If brakes are done and working (hand and service brakes) add another $1000 to the value. If it has tires that are 85% plus tread with no checking, add another $1000 to that price ($1500 if they are new or if you have new tires available for it). Don't make the mistake of assuming everybody will follow this kind of logic, and definitely don't make the mistake of taking the high value on everything I describe. Most people will show up and low ball you on everything, and as I said, ambulances are not always easy sells. The price range above comes out to $1500 to $8000. That is how I would evaluate an M43 for sale, and that is based on values I have seen over the last few years.

I wish you good luck with things. If you have any questions or want clarification, don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
John K. Seidts
John K. Seidts RN:
Wanted to Buy any aircraft parts or aviation items
Wanted- WWII US Medical and Engineer Items

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”